Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melted supercharger nozzle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I seem to have my charging problems in Vacaville. I am the one with the white smoke last Xmas that Tesla never found a reason for. This time, I was charging at 100 kW when the current suddenly dropped to zero. When I checked the supercharger cable, it was almost too hot to touch. On removing the cable, there was clear sticky stuff oozing out the end. Luckily, I had enough charge to get home to east bay. The chargers on either side in Vacaville would not connect. (yellow error no matter how many times I replugged). Perhaps my inlet was gooed? At home my J1772 worked at 30 amps/240v through the adapter. I had planned to test the car at Fremont, but Tesla was concerned I might burn up another SC. Tesla checked the car and said the on board charger was fine. (I thought they weren't used with supercharging?). They replaced the inlet., said they checked supercharging at San Rafael. I hope that it works, since I have a trip to Madera on Saturday that will need a charge in Manteca. Below is a picture. Anyone else seen this?p.s. No more white smoke in 20k miles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 1,332
Boy, that's a new one on me. You're right, the onboard charger has nothing to do with Supercgarging. Glad they replaced your charging port, that would have been a constant worry, for you and for Tesla both.

Looks to me that there was a short on the connector pictured. Something inside was creating a path for the amperage to get to the metal casing. the white smoke seen earlier could have been a first indicator of insulation burning.

I think the mention of white smoke months ago is confusing for this post. S/he reported some white smoke in the cabin on the passenger side, that no one was able to find evidence of /reproduce later. A short video was difficult to see. There was also a lot of after market wiring in that area, so no one is really sure what happened. But would be difficult to relate it to this incident, methinks.

The supercharger connector has a temperature sensor built in, IIRC. This will reduce power if the connector gets too hot.

However it is very concerning it was allowed to get as far as melted plastic. A f*re at a supercharger will not do Tesla any good. Hopefully they investigate this fully.

I was at a bunch of superchargers over past few days in NM, AZ, and UT, and one of them, can't remember which but I think it was Farmington, NM, the supercharger handle at the end of the charge when I pulled it out of the chargeport was BLAZING HOT, really too hot to touch.

Now, it might have been the sun, and the cable was really hot too. First time I've experienced extreme heat on supercharger components. Wish I'd brought my laser thermometer on the trip.

I think the mention of white smoke months ago is confusing for this post. S/he reported some white smoke in the cabin on the passenger side, that no one was able to find evidence of /reproduce later. A short video was difficult to see. There was also a lot of after market wiring in that area, so no one is really sure what happened. But would be difficult to relate it to this incident, methinks.

I doubt it's related unless the on board charger had a problem.

There was NO aftermarket wiring in the area. Why do you keep blaming me for the smoke? Do you not understand the difference between 12 volt accessories and high voltage, high current electronics?

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get he was in the car? Looks like he's just propped it up on his knee to take the picture and it is dark outside.

Good eye. Yes, that's a knee of jeans in the background. It was very hard to get the picture with an iPhone in the dark. I had to illuminate with a flashlight and take a dozen shots to get the focus right.

What stall in Vacaville? I've reported damage at one stall that looked exactly like the damage on the right connector (not the one that melted). The stall's cable holder doesn't work very well and the cable will fall and slam the head into the pavement if not put back carefully. Watched it happen and reported it to Tesla because it looked damaged. Wonder if that contributed to the failure.

I doubt it's related unless the on board charger had a problem.

There was NO aftermarket wiring in the area. Why do you keep blaming me for the smoke? Do you not understand the difference between 12 volt accessories and high voltage, high current electronics?

Not wanting to rehash old news, but 1) you earlier said you did have after-market wiring in the area where there was white smoke (loud buzzing while supercharging, then white smoke in the cabin? - Page 3 ), and 2) back then I asked if you'd done after-market modifications in that area, which you had, but had not disclosed originally. Characterizing that as 'why do you keep blaming me?' is a bit off the mark, since I didn't blame you then and didn't blame you now.

Hi guys. I seem to have my charging problems in Vacaville. I am the one with the white smoke last Xmas that Tesla never found a reason for. This time, I was charging at 100 kW when the current suddenly dropped to zero. When I checked the supercharger cable, it was almost too hot to touch. On removing the cable, there was clear sticky stuff oozing out the end. Luckily, I had enough charge to get home to east bay. The chargers on either side in Vacaville would not connect. (yellow error no matter how many times I replugged). Perhaps my inlet was gooed? At home my J1772 worked at 30 amps/240v through the adapter. I had planned to test the car at Fremont, but Tesla was concerned I might burn up another SC. Tesla checked the car and said the on board charger was fine. (I thought they weren't used with supercharging?). They replaced the inlet., said they checked supercharging at San Rafael. I hope that it works, since I have a trip to Madera on Saturday that will need a charge in Manteca. Below is a picture. Anyone else seen this?p.s. No more white smoke in 20k miles.

Maybe OT here but anyone else see anthropomorphic art in that supercharger port head?

It's very important to always check the SC connector before you plug it in. I've seen at least one that had damage and reported it to Tesla.

I also always blow in there in case there is any dirt.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of Tesla-hating *******s that love to sabotage the SC's out there! Sad but true. If someone jams something in there and you plug it into your car, it could also damage your inlet, as well as leaving you now stranded.

LOOK before PLUG! =)

It's very important to always check the SC connector before you plug it in. I've seen at least one that had damage and reported it to Tesla.

I also always blow in there in case there is any dirt.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of Tesla-hating *******s that love to sabotage the SC's out there! Sad but true. If someone jams something in there and you plug it into your car, it could also damage your inlet, as well as leaving you now stranded.

LOOK before PLUG! =)

Really good advice.

What stall in Vacaville? I've reported damage at one stall that looked exactly like the damage on the right connector (not the one that melted). The stall's cable holder doesn't work very well and the cable will fall and slam the head into the pavement if not put back carefully. Watched it happen and reported it to Tesla because it looked damaged. Wonder if that contributed to the failure.

+1 I saw the something and called it in too, one of the middle stalls IIRC.