Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - LTE upgrade and travelling to the States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I have contacted Vancouver service about getting this done but I have concerns about travelling to the States and having it not work, like US cars used to not work in Canada. I wonder if the new sim is now a Canadian provider with roaming disabled whereas my current sim is a US provider with roaming in Canada?

If it doesn't work in the States then the upgrade is not worth it to me since I go down south a lot. It's probably too early to know if anyone who got the upgrade has taken their vehicle to the States, but has anyone in Canada with factory LTE taken their vehicle to the States?

I doubt the service people will know the answer to this question since they just got in the upgrade kit but I will ask them too. It would be nice to see the actual sim card being used in the Canadian upgrade kits.

I have contacted Vancouver service about getting this done but I have concerns about travelling to the States and having it not work, like US cars used to not work in Canada. I wonder if the new sim is now a Canadian provider with roaming disabled whereas my current sim is a US provider with roaming in Canada?
I have not upgraded, so I cannot try. But I would speculate that Canadian market being approx 10% of USA market, the SIM would probably be US provider with roaming in Canada. For Canadian car with LTE not working in USA would be a big issue IMO.

Let's see what the early adopter review says.

Thanks for posting this!...we will be upgrading in the next few weeks (as well)

Curious to know what folks are hoping to gain from the LTE conversion. I considered it for a moment, until I realized that my maps load just fine, Slacker plays consistently well even though I have it cranked up to the highest quality and the web browser, while no speed demon, is perfectly acceptable for what I am inclined to use it for in the car. Perhaps it's coverage? I guess the areas I travel in have pretty decent 3G.

I have factory LTE and just got back from a week in the USA - LTE (and 3G) worked fine the whole time.

Great, thanks for this too.

There has been speculations that USB flash drive could be the cause of the 3G disconnect (don't understand why), but can you please confirm that whether you keep USB flash drive plug-in or not when not in use?

Interesting. I always keep a USB plugged in and get drop outs with 3G (in Canada only - it works fine in the States - which I is why I think it must be a roaming issue - but that's the subject of another thread here). In any event, I'm hoping LTE fixes that problem.

There has been speculations that USB flash drive could be the cause of the 3G disconnect (don't understand why), but can you please confirm that whether you keep USB flash drive plug-in or not when not in use?

Not a flash drive, but I almost always have 2 iPhones plugged in. My work iPhone 5s and my personal iPhone 4. I think they're just getting power because I don't believe the car recognizes either of them as a "drive".

Curious to know what folks are hoping to gain from the LTE conversion. I considered it for a moment, until I realized that my maps load just fine, Slacker plays consistently well even though I have it cranked up to the highest quality and the web browser, while no speed demon, is perfectly acceptable for what I am inclined to use it for in the car. Perhaps it's coverage? I guess the areas I travel in have pretty decent 3G.

Wow, I have to say that is just a foreign concept to me. Where I live the service is incredibly unreliable. I can be sitting in my driveway in the city and not be able to access anything. Changing the scale on a map usually means waiting 10-20 seconds for the map to be redrawn. If it even loads entirely. Streaming music sometimes works, sometimes you have to wait 10 seconds... or a couple of minutes... before it connects and downloads the next song.

It's great when it works, but it rarely works. I live in Victoria, BC. I suspect it might be roaming to the U.S. (across the strait of Juan de Fuca)

In my case, it's simple greed. :tongue: I want something faster and better. With each passing day, my P85+ is starting to feel more and more outdated. I need to feel relevant again!

Like you, I would say my 3G is acceptable 95% of the time.

It's the same reason I'll be paying thousands of dollars for a mere 6% range boost (once the 90kWh batteries start showing up, that is). Seriously Tesla, you couldn't have done 110kWh?!

Likely worth it to you then. For me, 3G is working great and I haven't even been having serious dropout issues like others have reported. I'm almost afraid to jinx it by touching it!

Wow, I have to say that is just a foreign concept to me. Where I live the service is incredibly unreliable. I can be sitting in my driveway in the city and not be able to access anything. Changing the scale on a map usually means waiting 10-20 seconds for the map to be redrawn. If it even loads entirely. Streaming music sometimes works, sometimes you have to wait 10 seconds... or a couple of minutes... before it connects and downloads the next song.

Well, if LTE coverage is better where you are than 3G is, it's probably money well spent. So far, where I live and travel, both LTE and 3G coverage seems pretty decent. In addition to my car (3G), I have a business iPhone 5s which is on LTE and an older personal iPhone 4 which is on 3G and they both seem to work fine wherever I go. If the carriers start de-emphasizing 3G and my service deteriorates like yours, I may have to jump on this as well.