Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opticoat Process Starts Tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to it. Paint correction will happen first and then application of Opticoat. Detailer hasn't seen car yet so I have no idea on how long it will take (or an exact price). I'm not picky enough to be able to know how much paint correction is likely needed. Car looks damn nice to me! Says it could be anywhere from a one to three day job. Car will be at my house the whole time - taunting me.

Here's to hoping Opticoat delivers a nice, durable shine. :cool:

I have OptiCoat Pro on my 2013 S85...you won't be sorry. I would assume a day to correct/perfect the paint, and a day for OptiCoat. My detailing pro just did a 2 year 'tune up' and applied OptiGloss. The multi-coat red is picture perfect.

I brought my week old Tesla to the OptiCoat dealer for inspection yesterday. He said the paint was in good shape with limited surface swirl/scratch marks. He'll do one paint correction application and then apply the OptiCoat Pro. $475 each and it will take 24 hours (applications and cure time).

Highly recommend having your installer apply Pro Plus over OptiCoat Pro. Pro Plus adds additional gloss, slickness and water spot resistance. We have applied ProPlus to the last 20-25 Tesla's we have opti'd. I also have it on my wife's Tesla. Hydrophobic water action is very much improved, which allows your paint to stay cleaner longer.

Right. That was the plan from the start. I should have been more clear.

It's done now. Here's what I learned:
- Bates Detailing outside of Nashville did the work. They were professional and great to do business with. Crew arrived to do the car and the owner showed up midway thru to check on the progress and talk to me
- They removed some imperfections in the paint by polishing the car. Some sections required more work than others. I wasn't keeping a close eye on them but this seemed to take about four hours for two guys
- They then applied the coating - it was a several step (two?) process with a glaze at the end
- They started about 9 am and finished sometime around 4 pm
- Total cost was $780 including a tip for the guys
- Owner is coming back in a week to make sure the coating has adhered properly

All in good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this helps anyone but here's a shot of the fender. You can see me in it!
IMG_1542.JPG

Did they do the glass...did they remove the wheels and do inside and out? Did they do the glass and rubber skirts on the bumpers (different products)?

No. They didn't do the glass (I'm not sure that's recommended anyway) and they didn't do the wheels or door jams. Note: They specifically told me that the door jams and wheels are not covered by the warranty from Opti if you do elect to have them done.

No. They didn't do the glass (I'm not sure that's recommended anyway) and they didn't do the wheels or door jams. Note: They specifically told me that the door jams and wheels are not covered by the warranty from Opti if you do elect to have them done.

You missed out....even if the warranty does not cover the wheels, the OptiCoat Pro really helps keep the wheels clean and easier to keep clean. The Opti Glass product really keeps the dirt off and the water beads up---and no wiper chatter as with Rain X.

You missed out....even if the warranty does not cover the wheels, the OptiCoat Pro really helps keep the wheels clean and easier to keep clean. The Opti Glass product really keeps the dirt off and the water beads up---and no wiper chatter as with Rain X.

Darn. That sounds nice. Maybe I'll have to get them to do it when they come back later this week to check the paint. The wheel thing sounds great. The glass is less of a concern as I use Aquapel - which seems better to me than RainX. But clean wheels are nice and make the car go faster.

Darn. That sounds nice. Maybe I'll have to get them to do it when they come back later this week to check the paint. The wheel thing sounds great. The glass is less of a concern as I use Aquapel - which seems better to me than RainX. But clean wheels are nice and make the car go faster.

But your detailer needs to know how to jack up/lift the S, what socket and wrench to use, the torque to reinstall the lug nuts, etc. My guy works out of a shop with a 4 point lift like the Rotary ones at the TM service centers.