Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration at 3-4 mph at the end of regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to repeat this vibration at least 10 consecutive tests yesterday to make sure what I observed was a real. I had the radio turned off so I could hear the vibration as well as feel it. The regenerative braking setting was on "Standard." I have not tested it on "Low." During the test, I did not apply the brake in order to feel the vibration. I also turned off "Lane departure" to ruled it out. This vibration is much more subtle than the "Lane departure" vibration, which can be felt during highway speed. It seems to occur right at the end of regenerative braking during the meter transition from green to orange. It seems to be coming from the front of the car.

I have not contacted service yet.

My hypothesis: Vibration damper of front motor is seated improperly.

85D coil - March 2015 with 12k miles

Last edited:
Yep. I was in for service today (not related to this), and brought this up. They're aware of it. They send it off to engineering. Likely a bug from the latest firmware.

It happens exactly at 4mph, repeatable, only using regen. It seems to be coming from the back.

This is what my invoice said "Test drove vehicle, verified concern, This is a known issue and a solution is coming soon."

- - - Updated - - -

Here's someone else who has it: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44971-Firmware-6-2/page183?p=1118191&viewfull=1#post1118191

Yep. I was in for service today (not related to this), and brought this up. They're aware of it. They send it off to engineering. Likely a bug from the latest firmware.

It happens exactly at 4mph, repeatable, only using regen. It seems to be coming from the back.

This is what my invoice said "Test drove vehicle, verified concern, This is a known issue and a solution is coming soon."

- - - Updated - - -

Here's someone else who has it: Firmware 6.2 - Page 183
So nice to have a car which is simple mechanically and all of the complexity it built into the software which is updated regularly. I haven't noticed this problem (I am probably less "sensitive" than others) but nice to know that it will be addressed.

Low Speed Shuddering

Shortly after .21 was installed on my 85D I noticed when going slowly that it would start shuddering as the speed dropped from 4MPH to 3MPH. It feels like it is coming from the back. Turning on range mode seems to prevent the shudder. To recreate the issue I had to:
  • Get the car to something greater than 4MPH, say 5MPH and fully release the accelerator pedal.
  • If going uphill or if the break is pressed the problem doesn't present as the speed goes down too quickly.
  • Slight downgrades make the shudder more noticeable

The issue continues even after the update to .36. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks,

Shortly after .21 was installed on my 85D I noticed when going slowly that it would start shuddering as the speed dropped from 4MPH to 3MPH. It feels like it is coming from the back. Turning on range mode seems to prevent the shudder. To recreate the issue I had to:
  • Get the car to something greater than 4MPH, say 5MPH and fully release the accelerator pedal.
  • If going uphill or if the break is pressed the problem doesn't present as the speed goes down too quickly.
  • Slight downgrades make the shudder more noticeable

The issue continues even after the update to .36. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks,
I've noticed this too on my 70D. It's especially noticeable in downgrades when I'm coasting with no accelerator input.