Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to connect with other New England owners who do not or cannot charge at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I would like to connect with one or more New England area owners who have a Tesla but cannot charge at home for one reason or another. In my case, I live in a condo with a surface parking lot and no practicable location to add a charger. And my condo association is not (yet) enthusiastic about spending money for a charging facility for me or others to use. Fortunately for me, I thought, Tesla just opened a store and service center in my town not more than 2 miles from my house. So until just about the time I finally ordered my 70D, I had expected I could charge there, or at a level 2 Chargepoint charger nearby.
But just about the time I ordered, there was the now-famous memo about local charging at superchargers and all the ensuing discussion here and on other forums. I do not want to re-hash that but I'd like to connect, maybe privately, with some folks who live in the area and have managed through the winter.

I am mainly concerned about the winter because I am likely to use the car less, and because it seems clear that is the most challenging time for the battery to be left without being plugged in. And that is why I posted in the New England section of the forum -- looking for people with similar weather.

So I would like to find out if others in my situation have been able to manage through the winter without home charging. Although Tesla says it is best to have your car plugged in when not in use, people also say that the car can go a long time without charging when left parked, even in winter. (See Bjorn Nyland's videos for examples of his leaving a car for 30 days, unplugged, while he takes a vacation.)

Thanks in advance.

What's wrong with regularly using the level 2 Chargepoint you mention and then topping up on occasion at the Supercharger for a long trip? I don't think Tesla will do any enforcement of Supercharger usage, they are just trying to stop extreme usage and hogging.

Keep in mind that you can keep an eye on the charge level on your phone and Tesla guarantees that you can't permanently damage the battery should you lose track (though you may need a flatbed to move it eventually). Most of the horror stories on winter battery drain were in the early days before the power saving options were added in software upgrades.

You'll be fine, enjoy.

What's wrong with regularly using the level 2 Chargepoint you mention and then topping up on occasion at the Supercharger for a long trip? I don't think Tesla will do any enforcement of Supercharger usage, they are just trying to stop extreme usage and hogging.

Keep in mind that you can keep an eye on the charge level on your phone and Tesla guarantees that you can't permanently damage the battery should you lose track (though you may need a flatbed to move it eventually). Most of the horror stories on winter battery drain were in the early days before the power saving options were added in software upgrades.

You'll be fine, enjoy.
There is no guarantee that the charge point will remain free, nor will it always be available. Not to mention the number of times a charge point has been out of service (not very often, but unfortunately it happens). All it takes is one rogue plow in New England.

I'd like to see you own one, but for me the risk of no personal transportation would be too great.

Then again, I live 30 min from a grocery store, with no public transportation.

You might consider being the middle man between charge point and your condo association, paying for an installation yourself, or moving. A lot can change in the 8 years unlimited miles.

Last summer I moved from a house in Charlestown MA, where I had a private parking with a NEMA 14-50 plug, to Portland ME, where I park in a public garage that has a Clipper Creek and a CHAdeMO charger. I only plug in when I need a charge, because the chargers are used by visitors as well.

This situation is not as good as being plugged in 24/7, but it's not bad. The key difference is in the range hit in the morning: if you're plugged in, you can heat up the battery in the morning (by forcing up the charge level to restart the battery charging + turning on cabin heat) using shore power, while otherwise you're relying on battery power. Still worth doing so you get decent regen immediately.

The bigger issue is keeping your car charged. Given how close you are to the new Dedham SC, this sounds like a mild inconvenience. The Chargepoint station will likely prove of little use: you're not going to be willing to sit there for 6 hours while your car recharges.

Regarding your charing at home: I'd offer to pay for the installation of a HPWC and offer some amount ($50/month) to cover your electric consumption. At-home charging is SO much better than foraging for power in the wild.

Last summer I moved from a house in Charlestown MA, where I had a private parking with a NEMA 14-50 plug, to Portland ME, where I park in a public garage that has a Clipper Creek and a CHAdeMO charger. I only plug in when I need a charge, because the chargers are used by visitors as well.

This situation is not as good as being plugged in 24/7, but it's not bad. The key difference is in the range hit in the morning: if you're plugged in, you can heat up the battery in the morning (by forcing up the charge level to restart the battery charging + turning on cabin heat) using shore power, while otherwise you're relying on battery power. Still worth doing so you get decent regen immediately.

The bigger issue is keeping your car charged. Given how close you are to the new Dedham SC, this sounds like a mild inconvenience. The Chargepoint station will likely prove of little use: you're not going to be willing to sit there for 6 hours while your car recharges.

Regarding your charing at home: I'd offer to pay for the installation of a HPWC and offer some amount ($50/month) to cover your electric consumption. At-home charging is SO much better than foraging for power in the wild.

Thanks for the inputs so far. I particularly appreciate the comments that lack of overnight charging will be inconvenient but not a killer.

As for paying for a charger -- It may come to that. The basic problem we have is a lack of any space where we could put a charger, without reducing the number of guest spaces -- we have too few already, and the condo board does not want to reduce them for me or other EV users. My own space is in the middle of an open lot, and would not be suitable for a charger -- cost to run 240 V out there would be prohibitive.
I have my eye on one possible space that is not used at night and might not raise too many objections. I would have to get an electrician to estimate the cost and then convince the board. But I think for now, I will see how it goes, relying on the public chargers and the SC up the street....

I think one of the most important parts before buying the car is figuring out the charging part, home charging is the best and most convenient option and it takes so many concerns of your shoulders, especially during the winter months here.

I don't believe Tesla will give you hard time for using the Supercharger close to your home, it's just you have to account for the added inconvenience for the extra trips, not knowing your driving habits, you have to keep in mind that the rated range is nowhere to be found when it comes to the cold winters around here.
I'll only speak about my experience and observations driving and charging during the cold months we had this last winter - on average I would lose about 10 rated miles of range each night I don't plug the car and keeping heating the cabin eats the battery like a termite latched on a tree. I'm very used to having full charge each day and I'll be a little concerned not knowing I won't have that available in the morning.

I don't think you'll have any issues with leaving the car unplugged for a few days, battery will use the energy stored to keep itself warm and you'll have some rated range lost, degradation because of that is highly unlikely.

As others have suggested, see if you can pay to have HPWC installed, it'll be the best case scenario and money well spent.

You might talk to Tesla about this. I've heard from someone who lives in a condo that Tesla offered to help explain the value of charging infrastructure and suggest alternate ways to provide it to condo residents as an amenity.