Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Penn Electric Racing's Rengade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Penn Electric Racing is a student group who took their somewhat typical solar car program and went a little wild. The first product is the Renegade. Meant for the drag strip, this unlikely looking beast currently uses lead acid batteries but Tesla Motors is giving them lithium cells to help them out. They've already given them over 500 cells for an electric scooter they're working on.

It might look a little ungainly at the moment but I'm dying to see what kind of numbers they'll turn in. Especially after the battery transplant. It's got twin motors (serial DC, I think) chained up and a Zilla controller.

I suspect Tesla might also be sizing some of these people up as potential employee candidates.

penn-renegade-630.jpg

Looks like they've come a long way in 4 years with Elon's support for our alma mater. Might even challenge a D on the dragstrip!

Penn: Penns Electric Racecar Revs Up Philly Auto Show.

Hi All!

We just found this page when working on our webpage and going through goole results.
We are still kicking and are now building FSAE Electric cars. In fact, this past summer we took 1st place at the norh american FSAE Electric! Won 7 out of 8 events.
We in fact don't get support from Tesla. They did sponsor us on an older project between Renegade and our FSAE cars and that's why they got logo space on our first FSAE Electric car. We do get some sponsorship from SpaceX though!

If you are interested in seeing more of the team, visit pennelectricracing.com - links to our FB, flickr, and youtube channels (with footage of us driving the latest car at competition among other stuff).

-Adam