Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL Congestion Charging Penalty Charge Notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TFL call centre just told me that they will issue a Penalty Charge Notice every time I drive in a congestion charging zone in my electric vehicle and, being exempt, do to pay the congestion charge. Each time, they said, I will have to call up to highlight the fact the car is electric and ask for the PCN to be cancelled. Failure to do so within 30 days will result in my being summonsed to court. Seriously?!

:crying:

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry... should have said "and, being exempt, do not pay the congestion charge"

TFL call centre just told me that they will issue a Penalty Charge Notice every time I drive in a congestion charging zone in my electric vehicle and, being exempt, do to pay the congestion charge. Each time, they said, I will have to call up to highlight the fact the car is electric and ask for the PCN to be cancelled. Failure to do so within 30 days will result in my being summonsed to court. Seriously?!

:crying:

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry... should have said "and, being exempt, do not pay the congestion charge"

I'm surprised you weren't warned about this when you took delivery of your electric vehicle (Tesla?)

TfL do not offer an exemption. What you can apply for is a 100% Ultra Low Emission Discount (ULED) which is offered to all electric vehicles as well as cars and vans that have CO2 emissions of 75g/km or less and meet the Euro 5 air quality standard.

You need to apply to TfL for the discount annually and pay a £10 registration fee. You will also need to provide a copy of your V5C to confirm eligibility.

Any penalties incurred up to now will have to be paid. Also until you have confirmation that you are registered under the ULED scheme you will need to continue to pay the Congestion Charge whenever you travel into the zone during a chargeable period. Sorry, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear.

Last edited: