Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S March 2011 update

Model S March 2011 update

Reservation holders just got a mail with some details:

• Deliveries for North America begin in mid-2012.
    • The first 1000 cars off the line will be the North American Model S Signature Series. Those vehicles will be equipped with a 300 mile range battery. In the tradition of a limited-edition series, they will feature unique badging and an extensive complement of options.
    • After the Model S Signature Series, deliveries for North America will continue with the 300 mile batteries, followed by 230 and 160 options later in 2012.
    • Delivery of the European left-hand drive Model S is scheduled to begin in late 2012. In mid-2013 we plan to begin delivering the right-hand drive Model S for Europe and Asia. Each launch will begin with a limited edition Signature Series.
    • We expect to produce approximately 5,000 units in 2012 as we ramp to full single shift production capacity of 20,000 units per year in 2013.
    • The price of the US base Model S with a 160-mile battery is $49,900 after the $7,500 federal tax credit. The 230-mile range option is expected to price at about $10,000 more and the 300-mile option at about $20,000 more than the base.
    • We are currently working on final pricing and options for Model S, including the Signature Series. We expect to have updates on Model S pricing worldwide this summer.

Quite a surprise they will start with 300 mile deliveries first. As European I hope prices and estimated amount of deliveries expected in 2012 will be released soon
    Last edited by Zorba; 2011-03-07 at 12:57 PM.

Interesting, the order of battery deliveries is backwards to what had been expected.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    Interesting, the order of battery deliveries is backwards to what had been expected.
    true... but it really throws down the gauntlet to the competition!

Blog Entries
    George Blankenship blogs the details: A Quick Update on Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

Further updates expected in the summer.

WARNING: Danger of Electric Shock! Vehicle may accelerate quicker than anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    I suspect this is to deliver the cars with the highest profit margin first...

An extra € 14000 extra for the 300mi option: Well more than a year and a half to delivery...
    Last edited by Adm; 2011-03-07 at 01:29 PM.

The 300-Mile battery is what I've expected, but still a LOT of money

But I really do hope to see my Model S on my driveway at the end of 2012, but I have the feeling that it will be in 2013..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    true... but it really throws down the gauntlet to the competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm
    I suspect this is to deliver the cars with the highest profit margin first...
    I believe this represents a good business plan. Emphasize the positives. What does Tesla have that no other car company has? They have BEV's with the longest range. Although Tesla's financials are better than what they were, there is still some potential doubt regarding their viability. So they are selling what no one else has, and making the customer pay a premium for it... what's the customer gonna do? buy a leaf? Like Apple, Inc, Tesla knows they have what the customer wants and can't get elsewhere, so they are getting good profit margins, for now. On the other hand, if they sold a BEV with 160 mile range, that is only slightly more than a leaf, they'd have a harder time justifying the additional $$$.

This policy is following Tesla's game plan. Starting with the most expensive cars, then working their way down to the less expensive cars with the tighter margins. 1st the Roadster, then the high end Model S, then the low end Model S, then Model X or Bluestar.

I am excited that they are still on schedule, and I was probably going to get the 300 mi pack anyhow, but now that the base for the car I want is $70k, I will need to see how the options price out.
    Last edited by kgb; 2011-03-07 at 01:42 PM.
    Model S #5253 - Black 85kWh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    ...they'd have a harder time justifying the additional $$$.
    Bang on! When people think Model S they'll be thinking 300-mile EV, with great styling and up to 7-seats. Anyone still need an SUV?

WARNING: Danger of Electric Shock! Vehicle may accelerate quicker than anticipated.

Both great news and disappointing news. I wanted to upgrade to the signature series, but a $20k bump on battery price is more than I was hoping to handle. It means the bare bones car is 77,500 for the 300 mile range, so with other options, probably closer to $85-90,000. That's 10-15,000 out of my range.

This is geat news starting with the 300 mile battery. I will wait to hold judgment to see the pricing on options. Hopefully, the Signature Series will have a lot of bang for the buck. I do expect it to be close to $80K.

Thread Information