Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS problem :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving home tonight, noticed that my GPS position didn't seem to be updating properly. I was on the highway when I noticed and at first, it seemed like my position was traveling at the right speed, but several hundred feet to the east of where I actually was (I was riding on a highway, driving almost exactly north). I tried resetting the screen by holding down the two scroll wheels and when everything came back up, my position was again in the wrong place, but now doesn't seem to move at all. The car is currently sitting in my garage but the position is reading as several hundred feet to the west and it doesn't seem to move at all currently if I drive around. I also tried resetting the other screen, but that didn't seem to fix anything either. Finally, I tried turning the car off by going into the controls menu and manually turning it off there. When I turned the car back on, still not working.

Thoughts?

I had a similar problem in 2013. Eventually Tesla replaced my gyro, which fixed the problem.

Since the most recent software update, the map often has me driving down the sidewalk or a little farther off the road. I'm watching the behavior prior to asking my SC about it.

Be aware that a gyro replacement will remove all of your accumulated driving data (on the trip odo page).

I had a similar problem after a software update; the car was parked in the garage where it couldn't get a GPS fix and the car was estimating. I think there is some dampening in the software to prevent violent jumps in the map, so the car tends to work itself back toward center slowly, rather than jump when it does get a GPS fix. It took a few hours of driving around before it normalized again.

I had a similar problem after a software update; the car was parked in the garage where it couldn't get a GPS fix and the car was estimating. I think there is some dampening in the software to prevent violent jumps in the map, so the car tends to work itself back toward center slowly, rather than jump when it does get a GPS fix. It took a few hours of driving around before it normalized again.
I hope this is the case since it did start shortly after the most recent update. However, I was driving when it started, not in my garage. We'll see what it does as I drive around later today. I called Tesla support and they said they were going to take info from my car remotely and send it to Cleveland service. It's been a few hours now and I haven't heard anything further.

Well it looks like it's improving, but still not perfect yet. It now tracks where I'm driving but pretty consistently shows me about 50-100 feet to the right of wherever I actually am. Hoping it's just calibrating itself or something. Although it sure is strange!

Find a big open space (e.g. supermarket car park when it's not full), reboot and then drive a couple of tight 360 degree circles in either direction (doesn't matter which). It's an old trick on various cars but often works.

P.S. the strange looks you may get from passers-by are a bonus.

Find a big open space (e.g. supermarket car park when it's not full), reboot and then drive a couple of tight 360 degree circles in either direction (doesn't matter which). It's an old trick on various cars but often works.

How interesting. When I use the stock Compass app on my iPhone, I am sometimes asked to rotate the phone 360 degrees (in either direction) to re-calibrate the compass. Sounds like the same thing going on here.