Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Time Corvette Guy in Manhattan, starting my research on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've lived in New York, NY for many years. I have have owned Corvettes for a good part of that time. I am thinking of trading my current Corvette in on a Tesla Model S, but am just getting started on my research.

I have some initial questions below for local owners. Thanks for any responses sent my way.

Can a Tesla buyer trade their current vehicle in on a Tesla through a dealership as is the case with a conventional car?
I started to look at the locations of the Supercharger stations in Manhattan and locally, it seems as though there are a bunch of them.
Are there any Tesla owners living in Manhattan that care to share their ownership experiences with me, specifically, the ease of ownership in a highly urban environment? Ease of charging and getting service on their cars?
Recommendations for best stores to purchase from in the NYC or local suburban area?
Reliability of the Tesla Model S?

Thanks,
Ken

Can a Tesla buyer trade their current vehicle in on a Tesla through a dealership as is the case with a conventional car?

Yes, they will auction it off, so you may not get the best price that you want.

I started to look at the locations of the Supercharger stations in Manhattan and locally, it seems as though there are a bunch of them.

Those are HPWC (high power wall connectors) or L2 charging, not superchargers. There are no superchargers in Manhattan. There's one in JFK, and a few across the river (some in NY, some in NJ).

Recommendations for best stores to purchase from in the NYC or local suburban area?
You don't purchase from a particular store. You can buy it online. Or go to the store and fill out the same form as you did online in front of the sales staff. Doesn't change anything.

If you do it in the store, you'll likely get a free hat or something. Some people also mentioned after placing their deposit they got a loaner for a 24 hour evaluation. Not sure they still do that.

I answered the questions that I could. I'm not local anymore, though I grew up in NYC and still visit often enough.

As for reliability... it'll be under warranty for 4 years/50k miles. The jury is still out, hit or miss. Some people have constant problems, some people have no problems. People on this board are more likely to join to complain than praise the car. I've had mine for 2 months, I have had a few minor issues (door handle doesn't work, parking sensors acting up, etc.) Tesla takes care of it.

Yes, they will auction it off, so you may not get the best price that you want.

Those are HPWC (high power wall connectors) or L2 charging, not superchargers. There are no superchargers in Manhattan. There's one in JFK, and a few across the river (some in NY, some in NJ).

You don't purchase from a particular store. You can buy it online. Or go to the store and fill out the same form as you did online in front of the sales staff. Doesn't change anything.

If you do it in the store, you'll likely get a free hat or something. Some people also mentioned after placing their deposit they got a loaner for a 24 hour evaluation. Not sure they still do that.

I answered the questions that I could. I'm not local anymore, though I grew up in NYC and still visit often enough.

As for reliability... it'll be under warranty for 4 years/50k miles. The jury is still out, hit or miss. Some people have constant problems, some people have no problems. People on this board are more likely to join to complain than praise the car. I've had mine for 2 months, I have had a few minor issues (door handle doesn't work, parking sensors acting up, etc.) Tesla takes care of it.

In DFW I had 2 24 hour evaluations to hone in on the model I wanted. No deposit necessary here.

Hey NYS, You can try Syosset in Long Island. There is a sales guy named Steve, he is very helpful. You can also try Mt Kisco in Westchester. There is a guy named Peter or the manager Michael. These guys are helpful also. Just let them know Mr. Jedi sent you. Hopefully they remember me.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey also, don't forget to use someone's referral link for the $1,000 off (new). Sadly I am not a Tesla owner yet.

ooo, not sure you know about the referal program or not. If someone refers you, you can get $1k off your Tesla and that person also gets $1k back (unless that person is in VA, in which case you get $2k off, and that person gets nothing, silly state law)

Check out the referral thread (it's somewhere here), but make the person work for their $1k! lol

Hey also, don't forget to use someone's referral link for the $1,000 off (new). Sadly I am not a Tesla owner yet.

You beat me to it! It's $2k if he can find someone in Virginia to refer him. Though last time I checked my own code, the website hasn't updated it to $2k...

- - - Updated - - -

If I go to the store to fill out the same form I otherwise would have online, is it likely that I would be able to test drive a Model S?

You don't even have to fill anything out for a test drive. Just show up*

*some stores are very busy and require an appointment for a test drive. I'd call first.

Hi, @NYStockBoy,

We're gonna have 40+ Teslas & owners (200+ people total) at a Tesla party here at my home outside of Boston, MA. Tesla fans are most welcome. If you come up for the party, you can talk to a lot of people and get feedback. And likely rides.

Details here: Big Party for Tesla owners, fans, environmentalists legislators / fundraiser - Page 4

If you wanted to hitch a ride, I could see if one of the NY owners already planning to come to the party could give you a lift. (We've got Tesla owners/fans coming from VA, MD, DE, NY, CT, PA, VT, NH & ME. And MA of course.)

Better yet, order a P90D/Ludicrous today, take delivery by Sep 25, then drive up here yourself for the party on Sep 26. :) I promise you'll be popular. :)

Alan

Let me clarify. There are "galleries" and "service centers" . The galleries are in a mall, and you usually can't test drive there. The service centers can give you a test drive if you just show up (or call ahead).

I'd call the center you're interested in visiting, and see if they can do a test drive.

Last edited:
I live in the backwards state of VA and would be happy to provide my link. You will get $2k off - we get nothing. :(

That's a half truth.

Once you get 5 referrals you get a free powerwall.
Once you get 10 referrals you get a free tour of the gigafactory.
But you're right, for anything under 5 referrals you do get nothing.

Is the P90D Ludicrous, really ludicrous? These cars are fast, faster than the cars I have owned over the past 30 years, Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs. But no stick available, only auto, right?

Sounds like you've only read about the Model S and have never been in the passenger seat :) My last three cars were various models of Porsche 911s. All I can say is that the insane mode (never mind the ludicrous mode) was breathtaking, slightly painful and totally eye opening.

No point reading more about it. You'll just have to experience it yourself to believe it.

In regards to the stick shift, I was a huge fan of Porsche's buttery smooth six-shifter. My last one was the PDK (dual clutch manual) and I was amazed at the response time. Funny, how I've not missed either of those yet. I thought I would, but just haven't.

That is correct blanche, I have never been in a Tesla, I have only seen the one that resides in my Manhattan neighborhood. Today, I went to the Tesla website and provided the information they wanted to set up an appointment to test drive one. The site says they will get back to me within 24 hours. Hopefully I will rectify the situation of having never driven one, by this weekend.

Thanks,
Ken

There's a gallery in the city near Chelsea at 511 W 25th St and another at Columbus Circle.

The nearest service center/super charger is in Paramus, NJ

Just last week, Tesla announced a plan to install Tesla's High Powered Wall Charger (HPWC) in Manhattan.

http://mashable.com/2015/08/13/tesla-charging-stations-manhattan/

Those are 240V chargers at 80A, good for up to 58 miles per hour of charging.

At worst, see if you can find a 110v outlet at your parking garage. That charges at 4mph and can maintain/fillup your car during the work week.

As a New Yorker, you'll probably fillup at a supercharger on your way back into the city on ur weekend getaways. Check out their website to see superchargers on your route.

Tesla Store, Service Centers and Chargers

I don't know about NY, but a NJ resident is exempt from sales tax on the purchase of any EV, new or used.

Speaking of which, here's the CPO site.

Pre-Owned ModelS | Tesla Motors