Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still not an owner, and did not cover this during test-drive.
I know there is a Valet mode, but is it possible to program your own driver profiles which allow you to limit acceleration and top-speed, possibly other dynamics (steering response, suspension)?
Why would I want this? Because I have a young and inexperienced driver who will be driving this vehicle at some point.

No. There has been a request often to create a driver profile for "kids" but Tesla has not acted on that.

Also you can switch from profile to profile without a password, only valet has a 4-digit pin (which with enough time can be guessed, I don't think there's a lockout)

No. There has been a request often to create a driver profile for "kids" but Tesla has not acted on that.

Also you can switch from profile to profile without a password, only valet has a 4-digit pin (which with enough time can be guessed, I don't think there's a lockout)

Thanks Max, well that will cover the "Can I try driving the new Tesla?" question.

Does the car alter dynamics based on temp, conditions, etc?
Would be 'easy' to do - but equally might confuse the driver.
I can argue that one either way in my mind - having raced cars, as well as driving a solid half a million or more - but then against traction control and ABS are already altering the vehicle response when 'it' decides it needs to.

Thanks Max, well that will cover the "Can I try driving the new Tesla?" question.

Does the car alter dynamics based on temp, conditions, etc?
Would be 'easy' to do - but equally might confuse the driver.
I can argue that one either way in my mind - having raced cars, as well as driving a solid half a million or more - but then against traction control and ABS are already altering the vehicle response when 'it' decides it needs to.

Define dynamics?

The car's traction control is "state of the art" (something about testing/updating 100s of times a second... though someone with more intimate knowledge can chime in) and supposedly it's hard (not impossible though) to get the tires to spin out from underneath you. You can not disable traction control on the newer cars (I believe the older ones had an option to turn it off).

People also complained that the traction control limits the power when you come out of turns, so it under? over? steers (can you tell I'm not a car racer? lol)

Last edited:
supposedly it's hard (not impossible though) to get the tires to spin out from underneath you

Our RWD Tesla Model S 85 will chirp and wiggle a bit under hard (foot planted) acceleration mid-corner, not to be toyed with unless you enjoy that sort of thing, the car has goodly amounts of torque available at all speeds!

The AWD "D" will not get out of shape, and drives like it's on rails.

YMMV

As for a car for the new driver, why not populate your driveway the way we did, one car for the adults, another for the 16 year old:
Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

attachment.php?attachmentid=87426&d=1436921497.jpg

Max,

By dynamics I meant responsiveness e.g. reduced torque as you accelerate, as opposed to traction control taking over once things are (going) out of control.
I'm getting the sense this is not the case, which is fine - as it means the driver is responsible for that, but as the driver gives up more and more (ABS, TC, other 'assistance') - it seems that 'babying' the driver by reducing their torque ahead of them losing traction might not be a bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

As for a car for the new driver, why not populate your driveway the way we did, one car for the adults, another for the 16 year old
Hmm, it's an idea ... not one she'll like. Really she is a few years off this, but I think the profile suits may other uses.
I followed a MS which must have been in Valet mode (based on accel) the other day - the driver needed something in between, they looked terrified (whether of the power or the risk of damaging an expensive car I do not know).
Plus, you could choose your "Winter weather" drive mode which would be slower acceleration, low/no regen, etc, etc.

EV - I allowed my 17 year old to drive it the day I took delivery - and then I put him right back into his lumbering Jeep Wrangler.

I love the idea of limiting the capabilities, particularly from the App (I.E. I am away right now and am sure he would love to get his hands on it), but I treat my Tesla like a gun when it comes to my kids...keep their hands off of it at all costs unless you are there to supervise!

I wish Valet would allow you to put a "geo-fence" around it and limit the speed even more - I have NO IDEA why a valet would need to drive my Tesla at 70 MPH...

"ED" lol. Still can't believe that made it to production.

Yes, well, to drive a Smart, you need to be self confident and a bit of a show off, like me... :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

followed a MS which must have been in Valet mode (based on accel) the other day - the driver needed something in between, they looked terrified (whether of the power or the risk of damaging an expensive car I do not know)

Unlikely, in valet mode, the car accelerates as fast as most other cars, try it, it's still a 10s to 60 mph car with valet...