Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE fails after car sleeps and wakes up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having a weird experience since the latest software upgrade last week. When the car goes into sleep mode and wakes up the LTE no longer works. In fact there's no connection of any kind. I have to reboot the touchscreen to make it functional, often 2 or 3 times. Any suggestions? I haven't alerted service yet but will if the problem persists.

I've been having a weird experience since the latest software upgrade last week. When the car goes into sleep mode and wakes up the LTE no longer works. In fact there's no connection of any kind. I have to reboot the touchscreen to make it functional, often 2 or 3 times. Any suggestions? I haven't alerted service yet but will if the problem persists.

I'm not seeing that symptom. I just woke the car up and turned off wi-fi and LTE was there. I would reach out to service - perhaps they need to do a hard reboot of the system (or have you pull that fuse and replace).

Some of us have experience for a long time the failure of 3G to reconnect after sleep very similar to your LTE. I for one contemplated upgrading to LTE to "hopefully" resolve the problem, but was advised by SC not to do so because the failure to reconnect is NOT unique to 3G. SC said that it is a firmware issue. Just wondering if it is firmware issue, why is the problem not more widespread or widely reported?

Some of us have experience for a long time the failure of 3G to reconnect after sleep very similar to your LTE. I for one contemplated upgrading to LTE to "hopefully" resolve the problem, but was advised by SC not to do so because the failure to reconnect is NOT unique to 3G. SC said that it is a firmware issue. Just wondering if it is firmware issue, why is the problem not more widespread or widely reported?

I didn't have this problem with3G and it occurred with LTE only after the latest software update. Go figure.

I had problems with my 3g just going out and not connecting unless I rebooted the center screen. They did some debugging and testing at the SC and they claimed they saw lots of USB failures around the times when the internet went out. I had a cheapo USB stick with music on it plugged into one of the USB ports. They recommended me remove that and not use it again in the car. I did and the problem never came back.

They did say there was a firmware issue with internet dropping/connection. But they said they could trace most of mine to a USB error in the logs. Replaced the cheapo no-name one with a SanDisk micro sized one (and was still only $12 or so).

Just something to try, your mileage may vary.

Just to add my 2 cents. I had the same issue related to a USB drive. When I unplugged the drive and reset again LTE started working and has stayed working ever since. This was after working with Tesla support and they diagnosed it to the USB device. I didn't think there was a chance in hell that it would make any difference but it did.

But this problem that you are referring to appears to be a uniquely Canadian problem caused by the fact that Tesla Model S's in Canada are roaming on Rogers' network. But it happens to me on at least a weekly basis, and three out of the last four times I drove my car.

Just to add my 2 cents. I had the same issue related to a USB drive. When I unplugged the drive and reset again LTE started working and has stayed working ever since. This was after working with Tesla support and they diagnosed it to the USB device. I didn't think there was a chance in hell that it would make any difference but it did.

Same here. A couple days ago, I couldn't reach my car from my iPhone or my wife's iPhone anymore. It just spun endlessly on "Waking up Car". I even went out into the garage and made sure the car was awake and on wifi.

After reading the forum this morning I went out to the car, removed the USB drive and rebooted the center console. Bang, I was able to connect to the car right away.

Same here. A couple days ago, I couldn't reach my car from my iPhone or my wife's iPhone anymore. It just spun endlessly on "Waking up Car". I even went out into the garage and made sure the car was awake and on wifi.

After reading the forum this morning I went out to the car, removed the USB drive and rebooted the center console. Bang, I was able to connect to the car right away.

Actually the SC said the same to me: "[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]Also make sure to not have a USB key bigger than 4G plugged into the car ". I had complained about the long time to re-establish connection after sleeping, and also inability to raise the car from the iPhone app. All since 6.0.[/FONT]

I have been frequently having issues with this since the last update (over 3G). I can not reach the car from my app almost half of the time once the car is asleep. When I do get into the car after not being able to connect via the app, the 3G icon is not displayed in the car. It's not a service coverage issue as the car is often in the same place and works sometimes (full bars) and not others. Rebooting seems to do nothing to resolve the issue. I'll have to try the USB thing, but I hope that the issue gets resolved for real. What good is having a USB drive less than 4 gig?

This has happened to me once. I have LTE. Parked in a garage with not great signal during the day, my battery was a little low, I'm guessing that's why the car went into sleep.

I tried rebooting a few times on my own and with a tech on the line. Each time I rebooted, I noticed that the bars stayed at the same level in a way that made me think that the system wasn't actually fully rebooting.
I did some quick googling and found the information about the USB port thing. At the time, I only had a Apple lightning cable plugged in, the cable wasn't plugged into any phone.

However, when I took out the cable and did a reboot, that time, the bars went to 0, and then came back with LTE.

I'm guessing that somehow these ports are finicky about not actually shutting down if it can't release the device. So instead of really completely rebooting, I'm guessing we may be just hitting a timeout and the car just loading the UI services again.

Is the 3G/4G card connected with USB to the system board? I know the built-in LTE card in my HP laptop shows as a USB device. I think in older laptops WWAN cards were connected by PCI or PCI Express. I can definitely see other USB devices that are not fully supported causing problems for other connected USB devices. I'll try removing the USB stick as well... thanks for the tip.

-m

The Linux USB handling is a bit of a mess, whether it's in the Tesla or on a PC. Early on (version 3 or 4, I can't remember), my Samsung Galaxy S3 would cause my touchscreen to lock up occasionally (you couldn't do anything on it) and would give the warning chimes with "Service Required, call Tesla Service" or something similar.

I don't think this is LTE specific but common on 'newer' cars, my car was built just a couple weeks before the LTE switch so I've got 3G and it usually fails to reconnect after sleep (or takes like 5 minutes). Using the always stay connected setting helps a bit but not completely. This wasn't a problem on 2 older model S's I've driven and parked in the exact same positions where it slept and recovered immediately.

service center said it was a known issue

The perils of using open source code. I really wish Tesla had based their operating system on something more rock solid than Linux. A real time OS would have been nice. Of course, whenever I express that opinion, legions of Linux lovers descend upon me saying how wonderful Linux is. Yes, wonderful in a server room. In a car, not so much.

Well, the most popular mobile operating system (Android) is running Linux, and the second most popular (iOS) is based on a version of BSD Unix. They seem to do well. Writing a GUI RTOS from scratch is a monumental undertaking, and it would take forever to work all the bugs out. Imagine Windows 3.1 on your touchscreen. There's a good reason why many companies use UNIX-based systems.