Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up until now, I have been at home, with WiFi, whenever a software update was pushed by Tesla. But I expect to have my Model S in a parking lot, possibly connected to NEMA 14-50, for a future update - no WiFi connection. I will be well over 100 miles from the nearest service center and just under 100 miles from the nearest SuperCharger.

Question -

If an update is pushed by Tesla, will this be downloaded (via 3G) and installed just as happens when I leave my Model S in the garage connected to WiFi?

I was surprised to learn from my SC recently that by the time the clock icon pops up on the display the data have already downloaded to the car and are just waiting to be installed.

So unless the car is somehow always on WiFi (not likely) updates will download via 3G whether parked or on the road (though the update itself can only happen when the car is stopped and in park).

Up until now, I have been at home, with WiFi, whenever a software update was pushed by Tesla. But I expect to have my Model S in a parking lot, possibly connected to NEMA 14-50, for a future update - no WiFi connection. I will be well over 100 miles from the nearest service center and just under 100 miles from the nearest SuperCharger.

Question -

If an update is pushed by Tesla, will this be downloaded (via 3G) and installed just as happens when I leave my Model S in the garage connected to WiFi?

The updates will not install automatically, they will download but require user to schedule installation.

Is there a way to check for the updates manually? My latest version of 6.2 (2.5.71) does not seem to be the latest (ends in a .85) listed on the driver/firmware updates version thread.
No. Tesla pushes out updates over several weeks usually unless it's a major safety issue. No one has figured out the pattern of what order they go out in. Also you might not receive every update. Some are bug fixes specific to certain configurations.