Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPad stereo controls for single-DIN Roadster 1.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm just about ready to throw my 2008 Roadster's JVC head unit out the window. What I'd really like to do is replace it with an iPad Mini. My Roadster still has a single DIN, so I was thinking of finding a receiver that only has aux, USB, or Bluetooth in, and then mounting the iPad on the dash and somehow powering it.

Does anyone have experience doing this with a single-DIN head unit?

Thanks in advance!

Alpine has some great units. I used one in the S2000 I had before my Roadster. Should work fine.

I did the Double-DIN conversion when I put a similar Alpine in my Roadster. Rather than using an IPad, I just bought an old ipod off of Craigslist and leave it on the floor between the seats. The alpine powers it. Never notice it.
You could even use an iPod touch if you want. An iPad may not charge from a standard USB port like an iPod would.

Alpine has some great units. I used one in the S2000 I had before my Roadster. Should work fine.

I did the Double-DIN conversion when I put a similar Alpine in my Roadster. Rather than using an IPad, I just bought an old ipod off of Craigslist and leave it on the floor between the seats. The alpine powers it. Never notice it.
You could even use an iPod touch if you want. An iPad may not charge from a standard USB port like an iPod would.

Thanks Andrew! I'm going to take it to the stereo shop and see what they can do.