Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had the pano plastic cross bar retrofitted from the plastic to matching?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a lovely mid 2013 CPO. I love everything about the car minus the crossbar on the pano roof. Its in pretty **** condition to a car which otherwise looks nearly new (lots of scratches etc). I am wondering if anyone has ever had it retrofitted to match the interior of the car, much like the new ones do? I called my service center and they originally said yes, then changed that to a no...

Curious of anyone else's luck

I would guess there are 3 variants of the crossbar cover in the TM parts database:

1. the grey plastic one which is fitted in cars with the textile headliner
2. the beige alcantara one that matches the beige alcantara headliner
3. the grey alcantara one that matches the grey alcantara headliner.

So if you have a car with a textile headliner the only part that will match is the grey plastic one. TM should be able just to supply that, and they're trivial to remove/re-fit - I've done it myself to install an iPad mount for the kids to watch films.

But if you want a crossbar that matches your textile headliner then no such part exists - TM have never sold a car like that.

I recently purchased a lovely mid 2013 CPO. I love everything about the car minus the crossbar on the pano roof. Its in pretty **** condition to a car which otherwise looks nearly new (lots of scratches etc). I am wondering if anyone has ever had it retrofitted to match the interior of the car, much like the new ones do? I called my service center and they originally said yes, then changed that to a no...

Curious of anyone else's luck

I had my black crossbar covered in beige alcantara to match my roof. I tried to order one in beige alcantara from my service center but they were not available, so I just had it done locally.

DSC_6107.JPG

I would guess there are 3 variants of the crossbar cover in the TM parts database:

So if you have a car with a textile headliner the only part that will match is the grey plastic one. TM should be able just to supply that, and they're trivial to remove/re-fit - I've done it myself to install an iPad mount for the kids to watch films.

But if you want a crossbar that matches your textile headliner then no such part exists - TM have never sold a car like that.

I have the grey plastic one with beige alcantara headliner. Just saying.

If I recall, they actually changed the mounting of the bow (crossbar) when they added the fabric coverings, and older vehicles can't have one of the newer bows installed. A lot of owners wanted the fabric version in hopes it resolved the rattling many of us had with the all-plastic version.

I thought about just having it covered, but at some point it stopped rattling so I decided against it. I actually like it black and blending into the roof panels.

They didn't start wrapping the crossbars in Alcantara until sometime in 2014.

I didn't know that - you learn something every day!

Still, doesn't change the fact that there's no such thing as a textile covered crossbar though :-(

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't start wrapping the crossbars in Alcantara until sometime in 2014.

Actually that explains a lot. I'm sure the car I test drove in Feb 14 had a plastic crossbar, but the one I received in June had alcantara.

Which was quite annoying since I wanted to glue a steelie iPhone mount to it, so had to remove it and cut away a small patch of the fabric to reveal the plastic surface underneath to bond to.

What type of shop did this for you and how much did it run? It looks very nice

I had it done by Doug Postini at Automotive Concepts in Timonium, MD. He's the guy who also trimmed the Telsa premium console sides in beige vinyl to match the interior. Doug does fantastic work and he has a very good relationship with the Rockville service center. When I have a project I can't or don't want to do myself he's the guy I rely on.

I had it done by Doug Postini at Automotive Concepts in Timonium, MD. He's the guy who also trimmed the Telsa premium console sides in beige vinyl to match the interior. Doug does fantastic work and he has a very good relationship with the Rockville service center. When I have a project I can't or don't want to do myself he's the guy I rely on.

Thank you for the information. Sadly I live in FL, so he is out of my reach

I have the textile headliner, but my crossbar is black plastic (not grey).

everywhere I turn....Rick is there!....I do so wish you'd live in ATL so I can see your car!....hmm...i've been thinking about this mod as well since I too have the hard black plastic that doesn't match the interior white/beige alcantara....and where to get those coat hooks you got to match as well? also how do I detach the pano bar??

Doug will do them for $295 excluding shipping. If you're interested, ship yours to:

Doug Pasini
General Manager
Automotive Concepts
200 W. Padonia Road
Timonium, MD 21093
410 561-5561
[email protected]

Include a note that Rick referred you to him. He can do them in black and beige and perhaps other colors.

Rick

everywhere I turn....Rick is there!....I do so wish you'd live in ATL so I can see your car!....hmm...i've been thinking about this mod as well since I too have the hard black plastic that doesn't match the interior white/beige alcantara....and where to get those coat hooks you got to match as well? also how do I detach the pano bar??

Those are metal coat hooks that Doug had covered in the beige Alcantara. Got them on Amazon. The bar just snaps out.