Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does your HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) look like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I got a little carried away. Added a couple amp/volt meters, along with a KWH meter so I can see total of what the car uses.

Attachments

• WP_20150815_004.jpg
    WP_20150815_004.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,730
Reactions: Ulmo
Heh

That's a sweet setup. If you don't mind me asking, would you ballpark how much extra the extras ran you? TIA

The voltage/Amp meters were 12.00, and the KWH meter was 430.00. The KWH meter is very accurate, where as the voltage amp meters are within 1%. I have one amp meter on just the HPWC, and the other amp meter on the main coming into that sub panel. Did the work myself as I have a back ground in this. Links to follow.
http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimet...qid=1439985942&sr=1-5&keywords=drok+amp+meter

http://www.amazon.com/E-Mon-E10-320...?ie=UTF8&qid=1439985785&sr=8-2&keywords=e-mon

Heh

That's a sweet setup. If you don't mind me asking, would you ballpark how much extra the extras ran you? TIA

It cost me 420.00 for the watt hour meter, and 12.00 for the volt/amp meters. Both purchased from Amazon. I tried sending this info with links, but it doesn't seam to go through. I have one amp meter on the HPWC and one on the main feeding the Sub panel. Here is the info with out the links.

E-Mon D-Mon E10-3208100-JKIT Class 1000 1 or 2 Phase, 100A, 120/208-240 Volt kWh Electric SubMeter

DROK® Digital Current Voltage Multimeter AC 100-300V 100A Voltage Amperage Meter, AC Volt Amp Testing Gauge Power Monitor LCD Dual Display Voltage Measuring Current Sensing Resistors with Current Transformer CT

- - - Updated - - -

Re the thread title-- HPWC is High Power Wall Connector, not Charger. The charger is in the car.

Thank you for correcting me on this. How can we change this in the title of the post?

It cost me 420.00 for the watt hour meter, and 12.00 for the volt/amp meters. Both purchased from Amazon. I tried sending this info with links, but it doesn't seam to go through. I have one amp meter on the HPWC and one on the main feeding the Sub panel. Here is the info with out the links.

E-Mon D-Mon E10-3208100-JKIT Class 1000 1 or 2 Phase, 100A, 120/208-240 Volt kWh Electric SubMeter

DROK® Digital Current Voltage Multimeter AC 100-300V 100A Voltage Amperage Meter, AC Volt Amp Testing Gauge Power Monitor LCD Dual Display Voltage Measuring Current Sensing Resistors with Current Transformer CT

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for correcting me on this. How can we change this in the title of the post?

Not bad! You can find cheaper ways to monitor but your setup is way cooler.

Only mods can alter thread titles; one might come along and do that for you.

Here is a little different of an install for you. I used hooks to run the cable over the car. When unplugged it hangs at a perfect hight waiting for me to plug in. My area didn't require a disconnect at the HPWC. At least that is what the electrician said.

IMG_1695.JPG.jpeg

Ok, I got a little carried away. Added a couple amp/volt meters, along with a KWH meter so I can see total of what the car uses.

Here is a picture of my setup. The meter cost $26 from Hialeah Meter. They recondition meters. It looks brand new to me.
I pulled two cables from the subpanel at the back of the garage through the ceiling. One for the HPWC and another for a 14-50 outlet.

As you can tell from the 0 kWh reading, I'm still waiting for my Model S to arrive.

HPWC Installation.jpg

Reactions: pilotSteve
Excellent... that's about what mine will end up having to look like when I relocate it...

Any tips on installation?

Yes - see those side boards on the outside surface of the door tracks? You need those, or the cable just becomes a mess and sticks out in the door opening.

The LR conduit body shown is a tough cookie, but with enough swearing you'll get the wire in there, turned into the HPWC, connected, and cover on. :) Don't use an LB body on its side in this application because the cover must be accessible - and I don't think it would be in this case.

LR:
lr17cg_tc1_3d.jpg

LB:
series35_tc1_1.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve