Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Smashed my 19" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How it happened: I had set and forgotten steering in Sport (usually keep it standard) which means small deviations meant more turn. Anyway, while pulling out of my neighborhood, I reached and stretched out right to pick up a loose item from the passenger seat and next second I hear a loud thud on my left. Turns out I drifted left and hit the curb at probably 30mph. I probably subconsciously overcorrected left when shifting my weight right, not realizing Sport mode is a tinge more sensitive. My heart sank expecting the worst, pulled over and inspected the car. Luckily, the only damage was scrapes to the front and back wheels (and a little bit on the tires). The body was untouched. Phew!

Anyway, the damage is enough that I don't think it could be refinished - at least not for the price of minor curb rash type damage. I checked ebay and used and refinished 19" wheels are going in the $200-$300 range. Any suggestions on whether to get it from there or a reputable website for OEM wheels or does Tesla themselves sell replacements (I don't see it on the website)?

Tesla Model S | eBay

Thanks!

How it happened: I had set and forgotten steering in Sport (usually keep it standard) which means small deviations meant more turn. Anyway, while pulling out of my neighborhood, I reached and stretched out right to pick up a loose item from the passenger seat and next second I hear a loud thud on my left. Turns out I drifted left and hit the curb at probably 30mph. I probably subconsciously overcorrected left when shifting my weight right, not realizing Sport mode is a tinge more sensitive. My heart sank expecting the worst, pulled over and inspected the car. Luckily, the only damage was scrapes to the front and back wheels (and a little bit on the tires). The body was untouched. Phew!

Anyway, the damage is enough that I don't think it could be refinished - at least not for the price of minor curb rash type damage. I checked ebay and used and refinished 19" wheels are going in the $200-$300 range. Any suggestions on whether to get it from there or a reputable website for OEM wheels or does Tesla themselves sell replacements (I don't see it on the website)?

Tesla Model S | eBay

Thanks!

I did the same thing, but it actually damaged a control arm or something (can pull the records if you need me to) that I could feel when driving--a sort of loss of precision in steering, even a bit of wobble. You'll probably want to get that checked out too if you hit that hard.

I did the same thing, but it actually damaged a control arm or something (can pull the records if you need me to) that I could feel when driving--a sort of loss of precision in steering, even a bit of wobble. You'll probably want to get that checked out too if you hit that hard.

Thanks for the feedback. I did not feel anything different and have driven a 100 or so miles since then. The alignment seems fine too but I may get it checked out next time at the SC. What did you end up doing to the damaged wheels?

Curb Smashed my 19" Wheels

How it happened: I had set and forgotten steering in Sport (usually keep it standard) which means small deviations meant more turn.

That's not how it works. "Sport Mode" makes the wheel stiffer and "Standard Mode" makes it more loose and easier to turn. Neither mode changes the steering ratio.

See: What steering mode do you use?

Last edited:
The service centres sell wheels and tires. I purchased a single OEM wheel/tire from tesla to use as a spare. Just went in and asked. Cost in Australian dollars (which will always be more than the USA), was, if i recall correctly, around $650 for the standard 19in wheel. it does of course not match my cyclones, but has the same tire on it so will perform identically if i ever have to use it.