Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any integration foreseen with brand new Apple Music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wonder if anyone sees the need to replace this RDIO service by Apple Music? (not speaking about Apple Carplay in this case).
I prefer to avoid using bluetooth and control it through my iphone when i've got such a nice screen to manage my playlist!

I think the clearest path to handling this is to implement CarPlay. I know you didn't particularly want to hear it, but it is what makes the most sense. It does let you control everything via your nice screen, and gets updates way faster than Tesla could manage. It doesn't have to be connected via Bluetooth, if you are opposed (though now it can be wireless too).

Doesn't just get you Apple Music, but also Pandora, Spotify, etc., assuming that the developer puts in the time to make a CarPlay mode for their app (which isn't necessarily a big task - depends on what you are trying to do). The nice thing about it being a separate profile for the app is that you can customize to give you an interface that is familiar but still specialized for the vehicle and its unique challenges to interaction.

Takes nothing away from tesla, but gives them a whole ecosystem for the cost of them implementing one fairly simple app.

If security and quality issues are well handled, would love to see Tesla support 3rd party apps too, mostly for car data specific applications,
but bang for the engineering buck, I can't imagine any better return on resources than putting in apps for CarPlay and the android equivalent. The apps should be just another tesla app and be able to take up half or full screen views just like their other apps. Point is (seems like this always has to be repeated) that no one should be opposed or think that it means tesla is giving up their UI or having to switch OS's, etc.

I agree the logical approach would be for Tesla to support CarPlay(tm) in an app. Although it seems Tesla is a bit adversarial toward Apple these days so they may not bother with it. The media app in model S really does need a refresh.

The world is not all Apple .. last poll on TMC put IOS versus Android with Android slightly ahead and also a not to be ignored set of Windows users. Any solution would have to include all three OS's otherwise you just alienated more than 50% of owners
Is there a Tesla app for Windows Phone? I don't think so - therefore Tesla only seems interested in developing for Android and iOS which is fine with me.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more BB owners amongst Tesla drivers as well as the financial industry still has a high prevalence of BB users - in my experience GS, MS, JPM, CS, SocGen, etc. all still issue BBs to their employees. That is also the case here in Canada for our banks like Royal Bank, TD, etc.

I agree that Rdio is not functional. Even with an unlimited account, I'm still not able to listen to full albums, or play my playlists or favorites. It always come back to a "station" trying to match my musical preference... even if I don't want to!
That's why I was hoping that having an integrated app for Apple Music would solve this.
About Carplay, I agree it's a good point to have it to control my other applications like messages, calls, ... but I don't see the point in streaming when the car has the technical capabilities to do it directly!
Keep focus on KISS (Keep it stupid simple) idea: that's what I like about Tesla (and Apple): they make their best to keep the complex solutions simple and easy to use.

I regard the CarPlay and android equiv (and just don't have the knowledge of the Windows approach) as the KISS option, actually. With those two apps (or three if they do Windows too), they gain far more than two apps for of results. If they don't, then how do they pick the "right" streaming service to implement? Whatever they choose, some will not find it useful or even actively dislike it. If they don't remove existing services, it starts to get cluttered, but if they do that will definitely cause complaints.

As they add more, they end up having to deal with app organization issues anyway. If they punt on doing their own development but instead of supporting the mobile auto interfaces like CarPlay they instead release their own API and have third parties do it, well, that can be great for some apps, but it's a lot more work for tesla, opens up new exposed surfaces to secure, and they still have to do the work for app organization. I still want them to do it, but don't see how it can be considered easier than implementing one to three new apps and gaining most of the world of devs and existing code already out there.

If they release their own API, App Store, etc., I think that'll be great for more specialized apps that use that API to get vehicle information to do cool, useful stuff with it. That's something that can't really be done as cleanly or easily, if at all (depending on API and visibility), from a mobile device that's remote displayed onto the big screen. But I don't see any big advantages as for just using an tesla API to display on the screen with no other advantages coming from running natively on the car's systems vs. running on the mobile device with the interface on the screen. For the non domain specific stuff, I'd rather have instant access to all the existing and new apps coming out every day without having to have tesla, or someone using tesla api's write it all from scratch.

Can I want both?:wink: Definitely CarPlay/Android Auto would be very nice, but I find bluetooth streaming somewhat flakey with the phone in my pocket (as well as being degraded quality). I'd love for Tesla to also natively support more streaming services. I don't really buy that it complicates the interface (although it definitely is more work for Tesla). I don't expect it to happen, however, so at least CarPlay/Android Auto would be great.

I do not (yet) have my model S, but to answer the original poster's question about Apple Music, I think this can be done through the big touch screen if you add the songs you want to listen to to "My Music". I am fairly certain you can select and play music that is loaded locally on the iPhone through the touch screen display, correct? If that is the case, then all you need to do in Apple Music is add those albums or playlists you want to play in the car to "My Music" and (potentially you may need to) make them available to play offline. Has anyone tested this?

I think Tesla should do something similar to what Sonos does on their home media players. They support a variety of streaming services yet they integrate seamlessly into a single cohesive interface. Sonos will be adding Apple Music support later this year. Sonos lets you create playlists with songs from a variety of sources. Would be awesome if the Model S could do this.

My my second choice would be to implement CarPlay and the equivalent Android version, but from what I've read, CarPlay has not been terribly successful. Having never used it myself, I can't comment on the usability. I'd much prefer Tesla adopt a native interface to various music services and let customers pick what they want. There would have to be some tweaking to how the voice command for playing music works too.

I do not (yet) have my model S, but to answer the original poster's question about Apple Music, I think this can be done through the big touch screen if you add the songs you want to listen to to "My Music". I am fairly certain you can select and play music that is loaded locally on the iPhone through the touch screen display, correct? If that is the case, then all you need to do in Apple Music is add those albums or playlists you want to play in the car to "My Music" and (potentially you may need to) make them available to play offline. Has anyone tested this?

Since posting this earlier this month, I have taken delivery and can confirm that my assumption was completely wrong. When you choose the phone as the music source you need to select music on the phone, as the touch screen does not show different local music that is available. Kinda sucks... hopefully Tesla will integrate with Apple Music, but Slacker works pretty comparably IMHO.