Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions on SC Route from Newark,DE to Wintergreen, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best route to take for fastest time?

Was hoping for Strasburg, VA to be open, but that doesnt look like it will be done this weekend.

PLanned departure time form Newark,DE - Friday 8/21 -10-11AM

A) Newark, DE - 90% or Range charge -> Glen Allen, VA 90% or Range Charge since i have no destination charging-> Wintergreen, VA. 5h4m, 309mi

B) Newark, DE - 70-90% charge -> Hagerstown, MD -Range Charge since i have no destination charging-> Wintergreen, VA. 4h58m, 298mi

C) Newark, DE - 70-90% charge -> Woodbridge,VA -Range Charge since i have no destination charging-> Wintergreen, VA. 4h58min, 263mi
(is the Woodbridge, VA charger farther and longer to get to/from 95? , is it worth it?)

D) Newark, DE - 70-90% charge -> Woodbridge,VA -> Glen Allen, VA 90% or Range Charge since i have no destination charging-> Wintergreen, VA. 5h14m, 312mi
(is the Woodbridge, VA charger farther and longer to get to/from 95? , is it worth it?)

I think this would be the best option if Strasburg is online by this weekend.
E) Newark, DE - 90% or Range charge -> Strasburg, VA 90% or Range Charge since i have no destination charging-> Wintergreen, VA. 4h38m, 282mi

Just trying to figure out which charger is easiest on/off and takes the least amount of time. Dont want to get stuck at traffic lights or traffic just to reach a charger and then back on the highway.

Range charge on the last SC visit most likely for me to make it back to the same SC going back up on Sunday, just in case i cant find a 120v outlet on the resort by the parking area. (sent email to Wintergreen regarding outlets with no response)
-
or stop by a chademo in Charlottesville on the way back home.

Any and all suggestions Much Appreciated!

Any owner that has taken this route, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

If option E was available, I think it is clearly the best. Failing that, I personally would go for A. I think the Richmond supercharger is closer to Wintergreen than Woodbridge, so it will give you the most range in Wintergreen, which is quite hilly. Woodbridge is also a bit of a PITA to get to from the interstate, but that is probably a minor factor -- maybe 10 minutes extra in total.

There is an 80 amp HPWC at Market and 1st in downtown C-ville with lots of restaurants nearby. It is prone to being ICEd, however. The Oakhurst Inn has a 40 amp HPWC and I like them better if you can live with the lower charge rate. I sadly lack Chademo, so I've no experience, but there are a couple of locations -- one at the same lot as the HPWC.

I have made it from Newark to Glen Allen several times. It is right at 201 miles, so you can't drive 90, but you should make it in an 85. You could always top off at Woodbridge if you feel nervous. No matter what your nav system tells you, do not go to Bethesda SC. Trust me.

If you are up for crossing a busy road, there is a really good BBQ place across the street from the Richmond Supercharger called Q. Panera and Chilis are an easier, safer walk but less appealing IMO. Try the smoked chicken wings, which are amazing or the pulled pork. If you watch that BBQ competition show on TV, the owner is a regular on it and a very nice guy (Tuffy Stone).

If you are renting a house in Wintergreen, there is an excellent chance you'll be able to connect to a dryer outlet and almost certainly will be able to get some 110. If you are at the Mountain Lodge, I don't think there would be access, although there might be outlets out at Discovery Ridge where the zip line building is right next to the parking lot. Another possibility is the spa, although both would probably require some negotiation.

Also, if you can, you'll have a better quality of life to get through DC as early as possible on a Friday afternoon. By 3pm, traffic will likely be ugly and by 5pm it could possibly be utterly nightmarish. By the time you reach Woodbrige, you should be past the worst of it, although it will probably remain backed up until the HOV merge near Stafford.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info.....what's ur avg energy usage from the Newark sc to glen Allen va? Can I do a 90% charge at newark de which would be roughly 237-240?.or just do a range charge. I don't want to hang around the rest area for over an hour for a range charge. Maybe we should plan to head out a little earlier to beat the traffic. Thanks again

I get ~330 wh/mile and eat about 225 rated miles between the two chargers. It probably comes down your risk tolerance, but I'm comfortable charging to 90-ish. I generally set the car for a full charge and walk out when it hits 90 and I'm usually pulling out with 91 or 92. Sometimes I get drawn into conversation about the car and end up at 95%! If you watch your trip tab on the energy screen, you should a good feel for how close you are cutting it. Personally, I'd be happy to leave at 90 and sail past Woodbridge, but if you are going to feel stressed out you can always do a quick bathroom break there and be way over what you need.

i don't know if you've been to the Newark rest area before, but it's not too bad. Plenty of places to grab breakfast and two Starbucks. Not the best place to spend time, but certainly not the worst.

I get ~330 wh/mile and eat about 225 rated miles between the two chargers. It probably comes down your risk tolerance, but I'm comfortable charging to 90-ish. I generally set the car for a full charge and walk out when it hits 90 and I'm usually pulling out with 91 or 92. Sometimes I get drawn into conversation about the car and end up at 95%! If you watch your trip tab on the energy screen, you should a good feel for how close you are cutting it. Personally, I'd be happy to leave at 90 and sail past Woodbridge, but if you are going to feel stressed out you can always do a quick bathroom break there and be way over what you need.

i don't know if you've been to the Newark rest area before, but it's not too bad. Plenty of places to grab breakfast and two Starbucks. Not the best place to spend time, but certainly not the worst.
Yup been there a couple times...not too bad. Okay thanks for the info! Looks like I'll do the glen Allen route.

Just got to glen Allen va sc. Did a range charge at Newark DW since we were eating. Left with 266 rated arrived with 52. Energy usage 283wh , a/c on 70. Outside temp 84. Used tacc most of the way. Avg speed 70-75mph.

Nice! Your 85D is absolutely more efficient than my P85D. Have fun at Wintergreen and let us know if you convince them to let you charge somewhere.

Just wanted to say thanks again on the suggestion.....so I couldn't find a plug on wintergreen resort where I was staying at one of the condos. Didn't bother asking since i didn't really need it. I did see a 120v outlet at the market. I was too busy getting settled in and starting dinner for the spartan race I was doing the next day. Was drained from the drive.
I had exactly rated range to get to woodbridge from wintergreen, i wouldve went for it, but my fiance has range anxiety.
I ended up going to a chademo in Charlottesville (homewood suites) for about 15 min on the way back and hit the wood bridge sc and went through MD to meetup with a friend before I headed back to Ny last night.