Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Tesla Model S caught on fire??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More than a years ago, there were a few Tesla Model S caught on fire, and it was all over the news, then Tesla adds titanium underbody shield and aluminum deflector plates to Model S.
I haven't heard any Model S caught on fire since. I google the topic and find nothing since March of 2014. I wonder if there is no more Model S caught on fire since that time or news doesn't care about this topic anymore.

It's an amazing accomplishment of Tesla, truly one of the safest car on the road today.

This July 2014 joyride was the first Model S death:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/07/questions-surround-fiery-tesla-model-s-crash-in-los-angeles/

Again, incredible impact---and the guy wasn't wearing a seat belt.

yes, I remember these news now, although they survived.

This year, there were at least two Tesla Model S crashes over the holiday, and despite a spectacular fire in one of the incidents, both of the drivers survived the incidents.

Todd is correct. The "driver" eventually died. No real fire though. Just a few of the cells smoldering and popping like fire crackers.

As we now know it is a Very safe car. I hope that Tesla is able to document its safety record and publicize this to help draw more people to Tesla. Insurance companies pool their data. It would be nice to have this analyzed and published now that we have a millions of miles driven.

While there were a couple crashes with minor fire as an after-effect, the ones that caught the most media attention were the "piking-effect" ones resulting from road debris on the freeway.

Tesla corrected this issue (and how!) with the addition of titanium undershield.

Wait....why are we dredging up all this historical sewage again?

Wait....why are we dredging up all this historical sewage again?

Actually, I was curious about this myself and am glad someone did bring it up.

I had assumed we might have even heard about someone striking an object with their new titanium shield, but so far, nothing that I'm aware of. Odd to have seen those prior incidents grouped together like that and now, with many more sales and many more cars on the road, not so much.

Actually, I was curious about this myself and am glad someone did bring it up.

I had assumed we might have even heard about someone striking an object with their new titanium shield, but so far, nothing that I'm aware of. Odd to have seen those prior incidents grouped together like that and now, with many more sales and many more cars on the road, not so much.

Isn't that how randomness works? You tend to get random groups of certain events (although i don't know that "two" can be classified as a group). I don't count the guy who, presumably, drank a bottle of tequila and went through a roundabout at 120+, or the car thief.