Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for the 3rd row seat?

How much would you be willing to pay for 3rd row seat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the 'Will not buy an X without it' option? It is an absolute requirement for me.
In June 2014 letter to reservation holders Tesla has indicated that the 3rd row seat is optional. Hence I did not include the option you asked for in the poll. I guess, you will need to add the price you feel comfortable to you to get the 3rd row seat to the MX base price. :redface:

In suggesting the $3,000 as the first level price resistance is because Next Gen seat option is $2,800 for MS. A replacement for the standard seat, not the same an extra row of seats.

In suggesting the $3,000 as the first level price resistance is because Next Gen seat option is $2,800 for MS. A replacement for the standard seat, not the same an extra row of seats.

Next gen seats are $2,500, but that is the cost over cloth seats. Regular leather is $1,750 making next-gen just a $750 premium. Cloth/leather/next-gen has nothing to do with what the third row will cost. Furthermore the next gen seats in Model S are only the front seats.

Next gen seats are $2,500, but that is the cost over cloth seats. Regular leather is $1,750 making next-gen just a $750 premium. Cloth/leather/next-gen has nothing to do with what the third row will cost. Furthermore the next gen seats in Model S are only the front seats.

Actually, the next-gen seats also upgrade the leather in the 2nd row as well. I agree that the majority of the upgrade (more support/padding) is done to the first row.

You are correct in all of the reasoning. I stand corrected that Next Gen seat is USD$2,500 and CAD$2,800 as an option over standard seat. I feel that Tesla knows how to package options to maximize profit. For example, bundling the trunk power lift to the premium interior, heated steering wheel to the subzero package with rear seat heating when considering how often does one have rear passenger requiring heated rear seats. My Porsche have heated steering wheel as standard!

Last edited:
I really so worry 3rd row seat wont be an option at Hong Kong and China, because the optional +2 seat of Model S isnt available here too. A few of my friends are still driving X5 or Q7 or family van because of this reason. All of us paid $5k for X reservations, but i am sure all will cancel that if we can't have the 3rd row seat option.

If Tesla sees China and HK as important markets, they must make the 3rd row either standard or optional here. 2-3 kids are getting more common here, I am unsure if they know that the one-child policy is basically no longer exist in China anymore, it is totally legal to have as many kids as you like if you pay the fine.

I really so worry 3rd row seat wont be an option at Hong Kong and China, because the optional +2 seat of Model S isnt available here too. A few of my friends are still driving X5 or Q7 or family van because of this reason. All of us paid $5k for X reservations, but i am sure all will cancel that if we can't have the 3rd row seat option.

If Tesla sees China and HK as important markets, they must make the 3rd row either standard or optional here. 2-3 kids are getting more common here, I am unsure if they know that the one-child policy is basically no longer exist in China anymore, it is totally legal to have as many kids as you like if you pay the fine.

Have you asked Tesla why it isn't available there? Seems speculative to think that it would be based on child-policy, especially if other cars offer more seating.

Have you asked Tesla why it isn't available there? Seems speculative to think that it would be based on child-policy, especially if other cars offer more seating.

It would be my guess that the option wasn't very popular there and not worth providing it for the small user-base that were requesting it. However, the Model-X 3rd row (for adults and children) is a different matter IMO and I would be surprised if they don't offer that in Hong Kong.

well include me in that uproar. I must have missed it. the 3rd row seat should definitely be standard... seems like a rip off to charge for it.

I know how you feel yobigd20. When Tesla first announced the Model-X, they did make it sound like the 3rd row was standard and then it felt like they pulled the rug from under us and decided to start charging for it.

But shortly afterwards I realized that it was the right (and only) decision because a considerable number of people don't care for the 3rd row (would rather have more cargo space) and it would be silly forcing it onto everyone.

It would be my guess that the option wasn't very popular there and not worth providing it for the small user-base that were requesting it. However, the Model-X 3rd row (for adults and children) is a different matter IMO and I would be surprised if they don't offer that in Hong Kong.

I heard it was because the law, maybe due to Model S +2 seat facing backward. They are not exactly sure too. I just hope 3rd row front facing seat in X won't be a problem here. If it's still has problem, then it's likely that Tesla doesn't try hard enough, because ML and X5 optional 3rd row seats were ok here.

- - - Updated - - -

If the law doesn't allow optional 3rd seat, please must make it the standard. Many potential buyers REALLY REALLY want this.

I really need the third row seat, but can see how some people don't need it at all and would rather have more cargo space. Regardless, if there is a third row seat, I sure hope they fold down to give us some cargo back there.