Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity Rep put the hard-sell on me in Home Depot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. I just want to preface this by saying I'm definitely in favor of solar power in principle, but there are some reps who go a little beyond the pale with it. I was in Home Depot today looking for some AC coil cleaner, hoping to improve the cooling efficiency of unit. A young man asked if I was finding everything OK and if I needed any help. I told him I was fine, but he kept hanging around, and introduced himself. Then he put the bait & switch on me when I realized he was an in-store SolarCity rep. I should have told him to bug off, but I gave him my info for no other reason than to get him off my case. And he was walking in the product aisles, not sitting at a display table.

I know he's probably paid a commission on referrals, but I definitely feel like I was cornered and somewhat harassed. He said a rep would be calling me this next week to discuss solar for our home. I live in a row townhouse, and have to deal with an HOA. I know that's not an automatic disqualification, but I also explained to him that we may be selling our home soon, and I was reluctant to put a lot of money into it before we sell it. I do have his name, email and phone number. I am considering reporting him to Home Depot or Solar City. Have any of you had a similar experience, and did you report it?

Just an update. I found the "community manager" email for SolarCity on some Yelp reviews (which were decidedly mixed) and wrote to complain about my experience. I bear no ill will to the gentleman, but I hope the company will utilize training methods that encourage representatives to be more respectful and less predatory.

Just an update. I found the "community manager" email for SolarCity on some Yelp reviews (which were decidedly mixed) and wrote to complain about my experience. I bear no ill will to the gentleman, but I hope the company will utilize training methods that encourage representatives to be more respectful and less predatory.
You might consider taking this issue to the Home Depot store manager, too. The SolarCity's rep's behavior reflects badly on the store and reduces your interest in returning--or, at least, it would mine.

I stopped going to HD for awhile after constantly getting harassed by solarcity/sungevity people, as well as the HD kitchen remodel people. The last straw was when I ran in to get another roll of tape and got harassed by three different people, and then got harassed at the checkout to signup for a credit card.

.......... I live in a row townhouse, and have to deal with an HOA. I know that's not an automatic..
FYI, your HOA cannot put unreasonable restrictions on your installation of Solar. I live in a row towhome complex and put solar on my roof. The California Solar Rights Act covers your situation. It also requires the HOA to give you an answer in 45 days or your application is deemed to be approved. PM for details if you are serious about solar.

Yeah, I'm worried about SolarCity and their sales/marketing process as well. The whole point for these Musk companies is that they represent the logical next step, not something that needs to be rammed down your throat. Germany didn't reach $2/W for installs by having hoards of sales reps pressure people.

Maybe it's temporary, but stuff like this and the silly commercials has me concerned. I hate referral fees as well, but I'd rather see them double(or triple) the referral payout than resort to the more traditional obnoxious American marketing methods.

"I'm not interested" should be said and repeated after every question and the only thing said in reply, over and over again. It doesn't take much energy to say these words, and go about your own business as you say them. It bothers me that stores send these pushy sales people out to harass people and it seems to be getting worse. The ones that try to sell the store's credit cards can be the worst. Sometimes it takes a dozen "I'm not interested" until they leave you alone. They key is not to say anything else. It works good when travelling too and at tourist attractions. Even if they ask you "where are you from", "I'm not interested" is the answer. They are trained to ask you a question that engages you, often unrelated to the product, so keep to the script.