Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day trip around Newfoundland in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a video to support the EV movement here in NL and thought I'd share it here if anyone is interested. There's some pretty good views from around Newfoundland as we travelled from St. John's to Point Lance beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbY30QAZV5c

This weekend I originally planned to visit a recently constructed EV charging station in a small town here in NL. Recently, two level II charging stations were installed in the town of Marystown at a newly built recreational centre. The town's social media page, which was proud of the chargers, shared some photos of the chargers on FB and received a lot of flack for installing them. Lots of people calling them wastes of money as no one in Marystown has an EV, and that they money could have been spent better somewhere else.

I thought I could do my part by travelling out to the chargers to show that people will use them and they can also be looked at as a destination charger that would bring folks from out of town to the community who was subsequently spend money in the town. I was go to take video and pictures of the chargers but unfortneuly, when I called ahead, they had not been energized yet so that trip will have to wait.

I had everything packed and ready to go so I decided to make the best of it by travelling to a beach on the southern coast of NL and shoot some video. I also took some time to dispel some misconceptions that people here in NL have about EV's.

Hopefully people will enjoy it and maybe convince some people that EV's aren't the worst thing in the world ;)

Hah! He drives like me. You'll usually find me over in the right lane at or near the speed limit.

Ditto. I'm generally either doing the speed limit or following some sucker who is going to be the one pulled over at the speed trap. :) Generally it's easier to just do the speed limit. For me what matters is having enough space in front of me, and that is much easier to control if you're not going faster than others.

Acceleration is a different thing. Maximum acceleration is fun. Speeding tickets are not.

I only watched the first four minutes but when you were on the four lane highway (Transcanada?) you were being passed more than you were passing others. S'up with that???

Haha! All about maximizing efficiency! We did just over 400 km on one charge by the end of the day when the AC on the whole time. Wouldn't have got that driving at 120 km/h. No luxury of superchargers here so have to make the best with what we have.

Also, I don't know if you been to Newfoundland but, almost EVERYBODY likes to drive fast! In those time lapses I was driving primarily at 105 km/h on the Trans Canada in 100 km/h zones. Lots of people passing me doing 120-125 km/h to get out to their weekend cabins. Crazy Newfoundlanders!

Ditto. I'm generally either doing the speed limit or following some sucker who is going to be the one pulled over at the speed trap. :) Generally it's easier to just do the speed limit. For me what matters is having enough space in front of me, and that is much easier to control if you're not going faster than others.

I find if I'm driving just a touch below everyone else it makes it a more relaxing experience. You're not constantly running up on other cars and, as you say, you can keep a nice buffer in front.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never been to NL, but here in Ontario the cops never stop you when you are within 20km/h of the limit on the highway when traffic is free flowing.

Except that people will hit the brakes and rarely pass a cop if they come up on one. I find it hilarious. I drive a lot on the 401 between the GTA and Waterloo Region (against the typical flow of traffic) and see this quite often.

Also, I don't know if you been to Newfoundland but, almost EVERYBODY likes to drive fast! In those time lapses I was driving primarily at 105 km/h on the Trans Canada in 100 km/h zones. Lots of people passing me doing 120-125 km/h to get out to their weekend cabins. Crazy Newfoundlanders!
On the 400 in ON heading up to Barrie/Muskoka you will get run over in the left lane if you aren't doing 130 - that is if traffic is actually moving.

On the 400 in ON heading up to Barrie/Muskoka you will get run over in the left lane if you aren't doing 130 - that is if traffic is actually moving.

Even on Hwy 11 north of Barrie (speed limit 90 km/h), you're hard pressed to find traffic moving slower than 120. I do the route up to the Bracebridge area quite often. Its' kinda insane because you have people with overloaded cars, pulling campers and boats in various states of conditions and such all driving fast and far to close to each other. When there is an accident. it's spectacular.

I've been from one end of the country to the other a couple times now and I believe this applies almost everywhere at all times of year.

Typically, I drive my Model S 5-10km below the speed limit (mostly for range reasons) and while it is a bit grating to be constantly passed by minivans and econoboxes (knowing I could blow them away at any time helps alleviate this), it does make for a less stressful drive and the time penalty is minuscule. Unless you have Superchargers (which I do not), you just spend that much more time on the plug at your destination.