Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost my first mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Guess it had to happen eventually. 9000 miles on P85D. 80% charge now says 202 (vt reports 202.2). It was a fraction over 203 before. Could be calibration, but I did that once completely right before going to Washington a few weeks ago (1600 mile round trip). Also only pull 409 KW now at WOT throttle on 90% vs 414 KW. So internal resistance is likely up just a tiny bit which will result in a slightly larger voltage drop at maximum current.

I don't think you can make any assumptions about a one mile drop, especially with all the software updates. My 80% has dropped from about 210 to 208 in nearly 2 years. My 100% from 265-270 to 257 but interestingly. when I now charge to 100% it now takes nearly 5 miles of driving before the battery will register a drop of one mile.

I don't think you can make any assumptions about a one mile drop, especially with all the software updates. My 80% has dropped from about 210 to 208 in nearly 2 years. My 100% from 265-270 to 257 but interestingly. when I now charge to 100% it now takes nearly 5 miles of driving before the battery will register a drop of one mile.

Good point, this is the first time I looked at the rated miles since the last update at 80%

Guess it had to happen eventually. 9000 miles on P85D. 80% charge now says 202 (vt reports 202.2). It was a fraction over 203 before. Could be calibration, but I did that once completely right before going to Washington a few weeks ago (1600 mile round trip). Also only pull 409 KW now at WOT throttle on 90% vs 414 KW. So internal resistance is likely up just a tiny bit which will result in a slightly larger voltage drop at maximum current.

If there is anything Kman's videos showed us it is that the number does not tell you much about the battery health. His number has actually increased and gone all over the place. Wouldn't read into this much IMO

Also only pull 409 KW now at WOT throttle on 90% vs 414 KW. So internal resistance is likely up just a tiny bit which will result in a slightly larger voltage drop at maximum current.

IIRC, folks have said in other threads that resistance build up in the pack due to degradation is so negligible that it does not impact performance numbers. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if peak power continually declined with vehicle age to any measurable degree.

IIRC, folks have said in other threads that resistance build up in the pack due to degradation is so negligible that it does not impact performance numbers. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if peak power continually declined with vehicle age to any measurable degree.

I don't think a 5 KW reduction will result in any meaningful performance reduction. That reduction could also be due to software but I can't imagine why they'd do that. I suppose it could also be a change in the way they report that number.

I don't think a 5 KW reduction will result in any meaningful performance reduction. That reduction could also be due to software but I can't imagine why they'd do that. I suppose it could also be a change in the way they report that number.

I could imagine that Tesla reduced battery output - they have issued a 8 year guarantee on the battery and they may have seen issues in the data and reached the conclusion that they need to reduce the battery output in order to make sure the batteries (or specific parts of) can last 8 years. Enter - Ludicrous mode (Fuse) ...

This is just noise. On 80% charge, mine goes up and down between 198 and 202 daily. In any case, if you only lost 1 mile with nearly 10K miles I'd saying you're doing well!

Are you asking? It's in the first post.

Right. P85D. It's probably helpful to indicate that each time. There are a number of threads on this topic, and they soon get full of people quoting their numbers without reference to which car. In another thread, I wasn't feeling so bad about my 217 miles @ 90% when another person was quoting similar numbers. After a bit of an exchange, it turns out the other guy was talking about a 70D !