Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone figured out how to remove the Premium Center Console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying for the past hour...in fairness to Tesla, they did a good job of securing it! I've got all the side panels off, and removed the screws holding it into the bracket at the screen end, but there's something holding it quite firming in place nearer the USB port end. Any ideas? I need it out for a while to prototype something else in the space.

Thanks...

Thanks. Do you mean these (2 on each side):

2015-08-16_19-11-45.jpg

If so, I clearly need my right-angled screwdriver that's nowhere to be found...!

I woudl love to get a copy of those removal instructions. There seem to be some gaps in the front and the rear as I have lost receipts within the car already, that can slip forward if placed on the sliding doors, and rearward under the flipping door, and you cannot get to those areas. When they slip forward. they do not end up in the console area, so they must be in front of the console somewhere in neverneverland.

Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but does anyone have complete instructions how to remove the Tesla MS premium center console, or perhaps @pete8314 you finally figured out the magic last steps and could share?

Add me to the list trying to understand the mystery. I've searched and read-through dozens of threads to no avail; perhaps I'm just not using the right combination of keywords so would appreciate a pointer if I've missed the right post, and @artsci no longer has the PDF referenced further upthread, so that option is out. THANKS in advance to anyone that can assist!

Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but does anyone have complete instructions how to remove the Tesla MS premium center console, or perhaps @pete8314 you finally figured out the magic last steps and could share?

Add me to the list trying to understand the mystery. I've searched and read-through dozens of threads to no avail; perhaps I'm just not using the right combination of keywords so would appreciate a pointer if I've missed the right post, and @artsci no longer has the PDF referenced further upthread, so that option is out. THANKS in advance to anyone that can assist!
OK, no replies, so I bit the bullet, and took flashlight, a couple screwdrivers and some body-work pry tools in hand and set in to this project this morning. It took about an hour, but then I was exploring something I had no idea about, and was trying not to damage my best toy. Net of this process with my 9/2015-build MS (which has a yacht floor, and where the console insert had been replaced once by the SC after installation) went roughly like this:
  • Remove everything from within the console
  • Unscrew the two screws at the back of the console, above and to either side of the USB/12V
  • Carefully pop-off both black leather sides of the center console to reveal the plastic/metal skeleton. You'll need to use your fingers from the top and then pull down and out. You'll then have to help the front section towards the firewall, and can work each side off in-turn. It's easier with both seats fully back. The sides are attached in half a dozen places -- IIRC 4 connectors and a couple slots with foam.
  • Remove the screw with the washer on either side of that skeleton towards the front of the console, just under the cubby. You'll see 'um -- the big ones.
  • You'll be able to now slightly push the skeleton front and back within the yacht floor
  • The trick is to how push the skeleton first as far forward as you can, then you must lift up the back part to remove it. There is some double-sided sticky foam on the front edges of the skeleton attached to the metal bracket up near where the firewall is under the cubby -- likely to prevent squeaks. Be careful to not scratch the front of the armrest section as the skeleton finally begins to loosen and you are able to start working the one end up. You may have to use some pry tools (be careful so you don't slip and scratch the face of the armrest or your seats) to get the back of the skeleton up and over the 12V, and if yours is like mine, it's a really tight fight requiring several minutes of finesse to get it up over the lip of the armrests, but eventually you will. Then, just maneuver the whole skeleton until you can completely lift it out.
  • There is now a metal bracket with a tray remaining just under the cubby, that the front top of the skeleton slipped into it. Remove that tray and the sticky foam, then remove the metal bracket attached to either side of where the yacht floor rises up under the cubby into the dash with two screws on each side.
  • Your original Tesla Premium Center Console is now 100% out. You're left with 6 screw holes that are not at all obvious, but I do have a couple deep scratches above the yacht floor on either side of the remaining tray lip where the skeleton must have horizontally locked itself into position. A few touches with a black marker all but eliminated the white/grey remnants of what was once there.
I may have missed something in those steps, and sorry, no pictures. Also, I can offer no help how to put the console back into place, as mine is already disposed of. As many deficiencies as I felt the original Premium Center Console had, it definitely was engineered to remain in place and not squeak -- super job in that regard. After removing this thing I purchased just over 6 months ago, I have a great appreciation why this was never a DIY project for the average owner and came with installation included in the price.

Good luck to the next soul undertaking this project, but hopefully you now have a few pointers to get you started.

OK, no replies, so I bit the bullet, and took flashlight, a couple screwdrivers and some body-work pry tools in hand and set in to this project this morning. It took about an hour, but then I was exploring something I had no idea about, and was trying not to damage my best toy. Net of this process with my 9/2015-build MS (which has a yacht floor, and where the console insert had been replaced once by the SC after installation) went roughly like this:
  • Remove everything from within the console
  • Unscrew the two screws at the back of the console, above and to either side of the USB/12V
  • Carefully pop-off both black leather sides of the center console to reveal the plastic/metal skeleton. You'll need to use your fingers from the top and then pull down and out. You'll then have to help the front section towards the firewall, and can work each side off in-turn. It's easier with both seats fully back. The sides are attached in half a dozen places -- IIRC 4 connectors and a couple slots with foam.
  • Remove the screw with the washer on either side of that skeleton towards the front of the console, just under the cubby. You'll see 'um -- the big ones.
  • You'll be able to now slightly push the skeleton front and back within the yacht floor
  • The trick is to how push the skeleton first as far forward as you can, then you must lift up the back part to remove it. There is some double-sided sticky foam on the front edges of the skeleton attached to the metal bracket up near where the firewall is under the cubby -- likely to prevent squeaks. Be careful to not scratch the front of the armrest section as the skeleton finally begins to loosen and you are able to start working the one end up. You may have to use some pry tools (be careful so you don't slip and scratch the face of the armrest or your seats) to get the back of the skeleton up and over the 12V, and if yours is like mine, it's a really tight fight requiring several minutes of finesse to get it up over the lip of the armrests, but eventually you will. Then, just maneuver the whole skeleton until you can completely lift it out.
  • There is now a metal bracket with a tray remaining just under the cubby, that the front top of the skeleton slipped into it. Remove that tray and the sticky foam, then remove the metal bracket attached to either side of where the yacht floor rises up under the cubby into the dash with two screws on each side.
  • Your original Tesla Premium Center Console is now 100% out. You're left with 6 screw holes that are not at all obvious, but I do have a couple deep scratches above the yacht floor on either side of the remaining tray lip where the skeleton must have horizontally locked itself into position. A few touches with a black marker all but eliminated the white/grey remnants of what was once there.
I may have missed something in those steps, and sorry, no pictures. Also, I can offer no help how to put the console back into place, as mine is already disposed of. As many deficiencies as I felt the original Premium Center Console had, it definitely was engineered to remain in place and not squeak -- super job in that regard. After removing this thing I purchased just over 6 months ago, I have a great appreciation why this was never a DIY project for the average owner and came with installation included in the price.

Good luck to the next soul undertaking this project, but hopefully you now have a few pointers to get you started.
BertL,

I'm looking to install a USB jack in the rear of the premium center console for the back seat. From your experience removing your console, do you think I would have enough access to the interior of the console to run the wire to the back seat by just removing the leather sides to expose the skeleton, or will I need to remove the entire console? Your descritption of the removal process was very helpful, I really appreciate your posting it.

Thanks!

Reactions: Natalie 1
BertL,

I'm looking to install a USB jack in the rear of the premium center console for the back seat. From your experience removing your console, do you think I would have enough access to the interior of the console to run the wire to the back seat by just removing the leather sides to expose the skeleton, or will I need to remove the entire console? Your descritption of the removal process was very helpful, I really appreciate your posting it.

Thanks!
Problem is, I really can't remember exactly what the back of the skeleton looked like. it's been a few months, and I was paying more attention to just getting it out without damaging anything. I just went out and took my Evannex Console out to have a look at what's left under the armrests... I think your bigger problem is, how are you going to get a wire through there without drilling or cutting something? Maybe there is a trick by someone that is good at Mods and such (that's not me!), but quickly looking at the area under the 12V and USB Ports, it's solid down there, so trying to get your wire/cable through without removing the original center console I think is going to be a challenge. Perhaps that panel pops out, but if the center console is in place, I bet you won't have enough wiggle room to get it out -- again, unless there is some magic trick someone has come up with. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Problem is, I really can't remember exactly what the back of the skeleton looked like. it's been a few months, and I was paying more attention to just getting it out without damaging anything. I just went out and took my Evannex Console out to have a look at what's left under the armrests... I think your bigger problem is, how are you going to get a wire through there without drilling or cutting something? Maybe there is a trick by someone that is good at Mods and such (that's not me!), but quickly looking at the area under the 12V and USB Ports, it's solid down there, so trying to get your wire/cable through without removing the original center console I think is going to be a challenge. Perhaps that panel pops out, but if the center console is in place, I bet you won't have enough wiggle room to get it out -- again, unless there is some magic trick someone has come up with. Good luck.
Thanks! That's very helpful to know.