Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Edit: title should say Moisture)

Just noticed this in two spots on my 17":

image.jpg

I had annual service done a couple months ago and they "visually inspected cooling system for leaks" but found none. I just can't think of what else it could be. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 769
I remember someone had their touch screen replaced a few months ago over the same issue. That's not a leak. If I remember correctly, it was the touch screen glass de-laminating and/or allowing air bubbles to enter where they shouldn't. LCD screens already contain liquid, so what you are seeing is most likely an air bubble.

I would request a "goodwill" repair from Service. Something along the lines of customer satisfaction for purchasing a $100k car and the screen is falling apart not even 3 years later (assuming the earliest MS being a 2012 model)

Reactions: Fiore
All -

Have the same problem - and I do believe its the touchscreen glass separating from the LCD, but to a much more extreme level. Mine is peeling along the left edge from the middle of the display all the way to the top, then curving and going across the top and then curving again and going down the right side to the middle.

I stopped by my service center and had my advisor take and look and she concurred and took some pictures and said she would order me a new screen. Luckily I got the extended warranty which is still in effect. Will report back after the screen has been fixed.

Aaron

PS - Have a matte screen protector on my touchscreen if you're wondering why its not glossy!

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Just past 50 K unfortunately. No warranty.

Yeah, was hoping that was the cost of the entire MCU but seems like just the screen. Will know more when I get it back next week.

I'm with the others, you should request this be covered as "good will". It's patently ridiculous that this touch screen - arguably one of the hallmarks of this car - is falling apart after only 2-3 years. Someone else in the forums had their MCU replaced at no charge after warranty expired. It's completely unreasonable to expect a failure of this component after such a short time. Instead of the touch screen, if the car had hard knobs and controls, you would not be spending $2,900 to fix.

Instead of the touch screen, if the car had hard knobs and controls, you would not be spending $2,900 to fix.

$2900 is an insane price no matter how you look at it. What happened to not making service a profit center for Tesla? For that price you could replace the broken LCD on 26 iPhones. Or you could buy a 70" 4k TV and still have enough left to get a flight to Japan.

I replaced the 15" retina display on my macbook pro for only $250 last week after I dropped it on the floor. It's a much more advanced display than the one in the Model S.

Have the same problem - and I do believe its the touchscreen glass separating from the LCD, but to a much more extreme level. Mine is peeling along the left edge from the middle of the display all the way to the top, then curving and going across the top and then curving again and going down the right side to the middle.

Aaron - mine looked similar to yours at the time of replacement on the upper right corner. It does worsen over time. I only hope the replacement unit does not have the same issue recur in another 3 years.

Agree with others that $2900 does not seem fair for a part that lasted less than 3 years on a $100 K car and has absolutely nothing to do with being slightly over 50 K miles. I'm still deciding how to approach this.

Between this and stories of $1000 door handle, I think this dream car for me may be out of my price range.

Compared to an ICE, the Model S has relatively few moving parts - and the most expensive parts, the motor and battery, are protected for 8 years and unlimited miles. And, the rest of the car can be covered for 8 years and up to 100,000 miles with purchase of the extended warranty. I've had my Model S since early 2013 and have over 57K miles on it - and I'm not worried about the long-term reliability and purchased the 8 year maintenance and warranty with my car.

The problem with the touchscreen could have been a problem related to using a touchscreen on such a large display - in a car, that is subject to heat and cold - and, hopefully, they've adjusted the design of the touchscreen to avoid this problem.

My touchscreen had this problem and was replaced several months ago. Is this a problem only with the earlier production units? Or is this problem also happening on the recent cars???

I have seen a similar effect on smart phones. It is due to the glue de-laminating from the LCD panel, probably due to thermal cycles. Eventually, it will get to the point where the touches will not be registered properly (probably causing the "Touchscreen Needs Service" message.)

Yeah, it probably has to do with the high heat stress and solar loading on the cabin. It wasn't terribly reassuring that when I first notified Tesla about it two months ago, the tech had me answer a series of questions suggesting engineering is still trying to determine the cause. If the replacement unit lasts less than 3 years like the first one did I won't be terribly happy. Sure hope they beefed up the adhesive that was delaminating.