Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of seats in Model X

How many seats do you need for Model X

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five seater please with fold downs for two more. The original thought of lay flat seats up to the front is exactly what we want. Plenty of room for the dogs with 5 seats available. Plenty of room for stuff when you need to put those big items in there too.

I only need seating for 2. I'll have seating for 5, which is fine. If the 3rd row seat is forced on me (i.e. not optional), I'll figure out how to remove it.

One thing I am concerned about with the "work of art" 2nd row seats is that they may not fold flat to make the cargo area into one flat surface. If that's the case, I'll take them out and have a "work of art" in my garage.

Dear Model X reservation holders,

Falcon wing doors, all-wheel drive, and the most stylish way to combine an SUV’s utility with a sports car’s performance. Model X will be a production car that exceeds the promises made when we first showed the concept.
In the fall, we’ll start building Model X prototypes on a newly expanded and integrated production line at our factory in Fremont, CA. The first Model X cars for you, our reservation holders, will be produced starting in early 2015.

We’re pleased to confirm that the falcon wing doors will be a defining feature of this exceptional car. Not only do these doors look amazing, but they also make getting in and out of the Model X so much easier than would a conventional front-hinged door. You can even do it standing up.

We’ll also deliver a level of functionality and practicality that will exceed what you saw on the concept vehicle. We can confirm that all-wheel drive will come standard for Model X, and you’ll have the option to add a third row of seats to carry more passengers. You’ll also be able to fold down the second and third rows to create a flat platform for storage. When it comes to charging and long distance drives, Model X will be able to take full advantage of our rapidly growing Supercharger network.

These features combine to offer power, speed, and space – all packaged in an all-electric vehicle that looks and drives like it comes from the future.

We’ll have more to say about Model X in the coming months, so stay tuned for updates. Thank you for your confidence in Tesla.

I love the last part: "We'll have more to say about Model X in the coming months"
Almost a year and can't say Tesla have told me more about X. ;-)
Offisially information from Tesla is just about the same as when I put in my first reservation.

We’ll also deliver a level of functionality and practicality that will exceed what you saw on the concept vehicle. We can confirm that all-wheel drive will come standard for Model X, and you’ll have the option to add a third row of seats to carry more passengers. You’ll also be able to fold down the second and third rows to create a flat platform for storage. When it comes to charging and long distance drives, Model X will be able to take full advantage of our rapidly growing Supercharger network.
pvogel, Thanks for posting the letter, I hope you don't mind me highlighting to focus on the option and the feature. Some late reservation holders may not have that letter from Tesla, and prospective buyer is better informed with this letter you posted.

Fold down second and third rows certainly qualifies MX for the U in CUV or SUV.

What does everybody think the extra cost will be for the 3rd row seats/option?

Originally I was thinking I would not get the 3rd row...but if the cost wasn't too much more, AND they fold flat, I might go for them.

What does everybody think the extra cost will be for the 3rd row seats/option?

Originally I was thinking I would not get the 3rd row...but if the cost wasn't too much more, AND they fold flat, I might go for them.
Tesla letter of June 2014 to reservation holder indicated that 3rd row seat is optional. It also indicated that the 2nd and 3rd row seat will fold for flat storage.
Your question on cost might lead to another poll or guessing game while waiting for the MX Design Studio. Draft poll looks like below:
Would you buy the optional 3rd row seat if it cost:
1. Yes if less than $3000.00
2. Yes if less than $5000.00
3. Yes if less than $7000.00
4. Not buy at any additional cost.