Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worse than ICE'd; complete disrespect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were at a hotel with an hpwc. There was a truck parked in the EV spot next to the hpwc with a cord attached to the truck. I was at my car which didn't need a charge so was parked down the aisle from the charging spots. My first brief thought was that there was an electric plugin truck of which I wasn't aware and I wondered how low the battery range was. So I went closer and noticed that this truck had ice'd the non Tesla charger spot, but pulled the Tesla cord across the hpwc spot, unplugged his gas cap, and stuffed the hpwc plug into his gas tank. I was just completely taken aback. I am refraining using the many choice namrs abd phrases that came to mind at that moment. Would have taken a foto but was running late on checking out. We let the hotel know as we were checking out, but this was a level beyond ice'ing and shows and immature and ignorant attitude towards EVs.

We were at a hotel with an hpwc. There was a truck parked in the EV spot next to the hpwc with a cord attached to the truck. I was at my car which didn't need a charge so was parked down the aisle from the charging spots. My first brief thought was that there was an electric plugin truck of which I wasn't aware and I wondered how low the battery range was. So I went closer and noticed that this truck had ice'd the non Tesla charger spot, but pulled the Tesla cord across the hpwc spot, unplugged his gas cap, and stuffed the hpwc plug into his gas tank. I was just completely taken aback. I am refraining using the many choice namrs abd phrases that came to mind at that moment. Would have taken a foto but was running late on checking out. We let the hotel know as we were checking out, but this was a level beyond ice'ing and shows and immature and ignorant attitude towards EVs.

What did the management say when you reported it? Frankly, it sounds kind of dangerous sticking an electric cable capable of pumping out 19 KW of electricity is asking for Darwin to show up.

...and not worse than iced because you could just pull the UMC handle out.

Unclear on parking spots in this situation but what happens around here sometimes is when someone ICEs a spot, an irritated EV driver puts the J1772 on the car - usually on the windshield - as a way of saying "hey dummy, this spot is for EV charging".

Is that what happened here but in an unlocked gas cap? Agree, perhaps not the safest thing to do.

Hotel just said that they'd look. They didn't seem overly concerned.

I had considered that it was an EV owner for a moment, but if it had been the j1772 from the spot in which the truck was parked, it would have been more likely. Since it was the tesla hpwc cord dragged across the tesla spot and put into his tank, effectively taking out both spots, potentially damaging the tesla charger arm, and with the danger already noted by others in this thread, I suspect the truck driver.

Call the fire department and then everyone would realize how "funny" that gag is. That is too stupid for words. Seriously, 911. Electrocucian explosion threat.

Hotel just said that they'd look. They didn't seem overly concerned.

I had considered that it was an EV owner for a moment, but if it had been the j1772 from the spot in which the truck was parked, it would have been more likely. Since it was the tesla hpwc cord dragged across the tesla spot and put into his tank, effectively taking out both spots, potentially damaging the tesla charger arm, and with the danger already noted by others in this thread, I suspect the truck driver.

The J1772 handle is bigger and probably didn't fit in the gas inlet. The Tesla connector is smaller.

Dumb situation, but people talking about safety relating to electric issues are worrying unnecessarily I think (and want to be corrected if wrong). The whole point of the way the connectors work is that there is no high voltage in the cable till it's connected properly. That said - when I wrote this originally I said voltage, not high voltage. I guess I'm not 100% sure there isn't any voltage at all in the cable till it's physically connected, though I still don't think it's possible that it is anywhere where it could cause a spark just by sticking it in the gas spout or touching anywhere on its outside. Still a dumb thing to do, but maybe not as unsafe as it would initially seem to many.

Interesting thought about someone doing it to the truck to indicate that they were ICE'ing. Have to admit, sounds funny to hear about, but personally think that's a wrong thing to do too vs. leaving a note (doesn't have to be sugary, or left in gas tank :) but with no personal attacks).

Likely the truck driver believed that EVs are a scam (you know, a plot by the government to outlaw infernal combustion engines through EV tax subsidies and special parking spots or similar nonsense) and objects to all EV only parking spots, for charging or otherwise, so was showing his contempt for EVs.
I would have removed the HPWC cable and laid it on the ground by the charger so the gas would evaporate. The gas could have damaged the socket or cable.
Physically damaging the ICE vehicle would be childish and only reinforce the ignorant views of the truck driver.
A photo of the truck with the cable in the gas tank would have served to better publicize the irresponsible behavior.

Last edited:
Meh - to be honest, the truck driver's behavior was atrocious.

If it was the truck driver's behavior. We don't know, we're assuming it was. If it was, yep it's bad behavior. It's not okay to behave just as badly or worse and escalate. That doesn't get anyone brownie points.

So, joking aside - any other ideas on how to handle this kind of situation constructively? Or would most of you just chalk it up to obnoxious jerks being haters.

How about simply replacing the charger back into its correct position and replacing the gas cap? A note could be placed on his windshield and there are oh, so many non-escalating but getting the point across things that could be written. Use your imagination.

- - - Updated - - -

New moon, yes. Does that count?

I don't know. I'll ask my ER nurse friend if they witness a rise in 'activity' during a new moon like they do during a full moon.

How about simply replacing the charger back into its correct position and replacing the gas cap?

Good point. No (truck) driver worth his salt would leave the gas cap off his tank; too much chance of rain, dirt, bugs or anything else getting in there, and otherwise he's just letting fuel evaporate and creating a fire risk. The more I think about it the driver would have been risking his own journey and it was quite plausibly someone else.

So in this thread we have an original statement, "The truck was parked in an EV space", a couple of comments made in jest, another snarky comment from a moderator, several self-righteous posts from the usual suspects, and potential defenses for the truck owner.

Buried in that mess were three constructive suggestions: 1) notify management (done), 2) call 911 (not done) and 3) call the fire department (not done). Does anyone have experience with magic words or phrases that might be more/most effective in compelling management to act to get the offending vehicle out of the EV space? Please share if you do - it would be really useful to learn what has worked for people (or what might work for people) at the end of a long day of driving when one's mental acuity might not be optimal. My default response when I don't sense that management is compelled to act is to start googling for local towing companies. The towing company either will come right away or will want the property's management to call them. Either way, just the Googling tends to get the manager more motivated to locate the vehicle's owner so it can be moved without any more hassle for anyone.

So in this thread we have an original statement, "The truck was parked in an EV space", a couple of comments made in jest, another snarky comment from a moderator, several self-righteous posts from the usual suspects, and potential defenses for the truck owner.

Buried in that mess were three constructive suggestions: 1) notify management (done), 2) call 911 (not done) and 3) call the fire department (not done). Does anyone have experience with magic words or phrases that might be more/most effective in compelling management to act to get the offending vehicle out of the EV space? Please share if you do - it would be really useful to learn what has worked for people (or what might work for people) at the end of a long day of driving when one's mental acuity might not be optimal. My default response when I don't sense that management is compelled to act is to start googling for local towing companies. The towing company either will come right away or will want the property's management to call them. Either way, just the Googling tends to get the manager more motivated to locate the vehicle's owner so it can be moved without any more hassle for anyone.

All joking aside, I might have told management that I would no longer frequent their establishment. I might also post a negative review on Yelp over this, if management made no effort to promptly address the situation. Given the mixed bag of laws regarding this issue across the states, and often confusing signage required by the property owners, it's difficult to assess the context.

It would have been better to simply call 911 and tell them there is a 19KW electrical power cable inserted into someone's gas tank, and it could blow up at any second.

The whole place would have been cordoned off.

The driver would return and have to explain (at the very least) why their truck was in an EV charging space.

Which post are you talking about and which moderator?