Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove bug spatter from nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back from a road trip that lasted a few days. Cleaned my P85D but I just couldn't remove all the bug spatter from the nose cone. I started with AutoGlym active insect remover followed by a rinse, foaming and then mitt washing. But nothing gives. See attached photo. What would folks reco I try next? Thanks.

356c69fe262a4258271f2d6723ae9eae.jpg

That's gonna take something a bit more than bug remover. You might have to clay and polish the area, and that will be taxing given the area. But, try the GG bug remover or Stoners Tarminator. Just be prepared to reapply your wax or sealant.

Last edited:
That's gonna take something a bit more than bug remover. You might have to clay and polish the area, and that will be taxing given the area. But, try the GG bug remover or Stoners Tarminator. Just be prepared to reapply your wax or sealant.

This is actually the nose cone and so it's plastic. No wax or sealant on it. The clay bar wouldn't affect the finish of plastic would it?

Tips from motorcyclists: 3% drug-store hydrogen peroxide (spray bottle), or bugslide if you want to buy something purpose specific.

Tips from airplane owners: lemon pledge - good for taking bug remains off wings. Spray it on and let it set a bit, then wipe off.

I have not personally tried either on the nosecone, but I have used all on the above with good results.

Last edited:
Very nice polish job!

BTW, Griot's also sells a small bug washing mitt that fits over 3 fingers and has a waffle texture. This little thing works wonders and cleans up real easy.
If you are going the clay bar route, I would NOT use a new clay bar, but rather use a bar that was near end of life. Those insect parts will imbed in the clay bar. Don't use a new clay bar for this. A power washer on gentle power and with a wide spray nozzle works well to blast those dead critters off of the facia.

Very nice polish job!

BTW, Griot's also sells a small bug washing mitt that fits over 3 fingers and has a waffle texture. This little thing works wonders and cleans up real easy.
If you are going the clay bar route, I would NOT use a new clay bar, but rather use a bar that was near end of life. Those insect parts will imbed in the clay bar. Don't use a new clay bar for this. A power washer on gentle power and with a wide spray nozzle works well to blast those dead critters off of the facia.

I will have to use new clay as that's all I have. This is my last solution. Power washing and regular washing haven't succeeded at removing the stubborn remains.

Hi! What your seeing there is combination of acid and enzymes from bugs staining or really bad etching the plastic. You need some abrasive to remove that. By hand you can get OTC Meguiars ultimate compound with a micro fiber and rub it in till gone. You will need to wax or apply a sealant after because that will remove any protection that was there. Hope this helps!

Hi! What your seeing there is combination of acid and enzymes from bugs staining or really bad etching the plastic. You need some abrasive to remove that. By hand you can get OTC Meguiars ultimate compound with a micro fiber and rub it in till gone. You will need to wax or apply a sealant after because that will remove any protection that was there. Hope this helps!

I plan on trying clay.

As for wax or sealant, you apply it even on the plastic cone? Unless it was there at delivery, I've never applied any. And the waxes I've used in the past tend to clearly state not to apply on plastic.

Last edited: