Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVmote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I'm working on two projects for my new 85D that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The working name for this one is Project Cartesia. I'll update this thread as I build, launch, and maintain the project. Stay tuned :)

For now, a small tease:
UeCBKgB.jpg

Thanks,
Ryan

Introducing, evMote.

evMote is a beautiful way to take advantage of the advanced features provided by your Tesla. A comprehensive dashboard and trip monitor are the first features I'm launching. After a small, limited beta (and assuming my servers can handle more people), I'll add more features including geo-fencing, schedules, automation, and a couple of other things I wish had been part of the car to begin with.

Right now, the beta is open. The first 5 people to sign up will get an account. I ask that you only sign-up if you're willing to dig around, break things, and report them to me so I can make it even better. If you have suggestions, that's even better! I want evMote to become the experience we ALL want.

Thanks!
Ryan

The site looks great, and I really like the prospect of your project here. That being said, I'm reluctant to leave my Tesla credentials on a third party site.

Tesla, please give us proper OAUTH support soon!

I totally understand your concern. I wish Tesla gave us real Oauth support, too! Believe me - I don't like the idea of asking for people's passwords either. At the end of the day, it requires some level of trust that I'm not doing anything nefarious. Let me do two things:
1) Explain how I handle passwords on evMote
2) Be transparent about the other data I can see about you
3) Give you a little background on myself so you can make an informed "trust decision"

evMote And Your MyTesla account
evMote currently asks you directly for your MyTesla login information. Until Tesla gives developers some other way of accessing their API on behalf of a user (like Oauth or OpenConnect), this is the only option. When you enter your MyTesla login information into evMote, we store the username in our database (i.e. the email address you use for MyTesla). I can see the email address and if a hacker got ahold of the database, they could see it too. I don't store the password, ever. Instead I immediately use the username and password to log into the MyTesla site and exchange the credentials for a "token" that lasts for 90 days. I use your username and token to access the Tesla APIs. After 90 days, you'll need to re-enter your MyTesla password so I can get another token. If a hacker got ahold of the database, they could also make API calls to MyTesla for your account. If that happens, you would need to change your MyTesla password, which would "revoke" the old token.

evMote And Your Data
One of the cool things about evMote is that it lets you see all of the trips you've taken in your Tesla in great detail. Other apps let you collect trip data, but you need to keep them running 24/7. evMote is already up 24/7 (hopefully!), so it keeps a live stream open to Tesla, constantly getting your cars GPS coordinates, even when you're not on the website. This is cool, and also a bit creepy, I admit. I store all of your car's GPS coordinates in realtime. If a hacker got ahold of the database, they would see your trip information. The other information (from the "dashboard") is not stored in the database. The only thing in the database that's currently encrypted is your evMote password (it's salted and hashed using the node-passport library, for those who follow this stuff). That will likely change in the future if I keep the project running. I will probably do two things: Store more data about the car, and encrypt more of the data I store so a hacker would need to get access to the secure keystore in order to understand any of the data in the database.

Why Should I Trust Anything You Say?
I get it. Even though I "say" that's how evMote works, it's really just words on the Internet. And you know how reliable that is! Here's a little about me:
My name is Ryan Steckler. You can check out my online resume to see my experience with software. You can also see my LinkedIn profile. I'm not really on Facebook anymore, so any stalking you do of me there will be stale.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

- - - Updated - - -

Can you get the app to read each individual tire pressure reading? Sadly, a $100K car's display does not have it. Tesla already has the TPMS on each tire, and I don't want to install Fobo or any third party hardware.

Sadly, no. Once Tesla allows third party developers to write software in the car, I'm sure you'll see a lot of cool stuff come out!

Can we get some details about what exactly evMote can do? The only concrete bit of information that I can find is that it will log trips. What else can it show? What exactly do these schedules and alerts entail? What sort of control does it give me?

Sure!
First, most of the "magic" happens on the server. Currently, the interface is a website, but that will quickly expand to be a mobile website, and potentially iOs and Android clients. It works "ok" on the Tesla browser in the car, but still needs a little work.

Today, it lets you do two things:
1) Get a visually pleasing status of your car. This includes things like range, charging status, climate status, etc.
2) Go back in time and see every trip you've taken in the car with a GPS track on a map. It's pretty cool seeing the trips pop up that you forgot about :) It's also pretty interesting watching it track trips that happen underground. I park three levels underground and my trips still get tracked incredibly accurately. This isn't something any of the mobile apps do today. VisibleTesla can do it, but only if you leave it running on a server 24/7.

In the future, I'll be adding a lot of things:
3) Control over the car. Lock, unlock, turn on climate control, etc. This will bring evMote up to the point that most other Tesla Apps are today, in terms of realtime control.
4) Scheduling, automation, geo-fencing, etc. Again, VisibleTesla can do this, but only if it's running on your local machine 24/7
5) Secret things that I've been wishing other apps could do, but I haven't seen yet ;)

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, maybe a video demo, or a test login that uses your car's data?

I don't want to post a demo account because I want to keep the traffic on (the dynamic parts of) the server at a minimum right now. I can put together a quick screencast though. I probably won't get to it today - I'm focused on getting it stable for the beta users right now!

Thanks,
Ryan

- - - Updated - - -

Fun area, I love the tacos at Puesto!

The app looks great! I don't have my car yet, but hopefully you get lots of useful feedback from the beta testers.

Seriously, right? The way they burn the cheese on those tacos is delicious!

Sure!
First, most of the "magic" happens on the server. Currently, the interface is a website, but that will quickly expand to be a mobile website, and potentially iOs and Android clients. It works "ok" on the Tesla browser in the car, but still needs a little work.

Today, it lets you do two things:
1) Get a visually pleasing status of your car. This includes things like range, charging status, climate status, etc.
2) Go back in time and see every trip you've taken in the car with a GPS track on a map. It's pretty cool seeing the trips pop up that you forgot about :) It's also pretty interesting watching it track trips that happen underground. I park three levels underground and my trips still get tracked incredibly accurately. This isn't something any of the mobile apps do today. VisibleTesla can do it, but only if you leave it running on a server 24/7.

In the future, I'll be adding a lot of things:
3) Control over the car. Lock, unlock, turn on climate control, etc. This will bring evMote up to the point that most other Tesla Apps are today, in terms of realtime control.
4) Scheduling, automation, geo-fencing, etc. Again, VisibleTesla can do this, but only if it's running on your local machine 24/7
5) Secret things that I've been wishing other apps could do, but I haven't seen yet ;)

Thanks! Basically a more friendly version of VisibleTesla that doesn't require me to have a dedicated computer for it? Sounds nice. Hope your beta goes well!

I ask that you only sign-up if you're willing to dig around, break things, and report them to me so I can make it even better.

Hi Ryan - how do you propose we report issues to you?

Suggestions -
1) right here in this forum
2) you start a Google Spreadsheet that we can add items to, you can resolve as fixed etc.
3) go "whole hog" and figure out how to use something free like Request Tracker RT: Request Tracker - Best Practical or Bugzilla Download :: Bugzilla :: bugzilla.org

- - - Updated - - -

I see there is a Google+ button at the bottom of the About page, and I hit the Join button, but it doesn't seem very populated :)