Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A new dealership scam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least it's new to me. Bought a leaf for my daughter, couldn't wait for model3. BTW impressive car but for range. We got a used CPO car. After agreeing on price they present contract with a 995 dollar inspection fee added for CPO inspection. Never heard of that one before so I refused to pay for that and told them I didn't need the CPO status. They took it off then increased the tag fee by 200 dollars saying the manager had miss calculated it. Refused that increase as well. I cannot believe the manager of a busy dealorship could do that. A bait and switch hoping I would not notice it. Of course the car was still sold as a CPO anyway. Sure different experience than when I got my teslas.

At least it's new to me. Bought a leaf for my daughter, couldn't wait for model3. BTW impressive car but for range. We got a used CPO car. After agreeing on price they present contract with a 995 dollar inspection fee added for CPO inspection. Never heard of that one before so I refused to pay for that and told them I didn't need the CPO status. They took it off then increased the tag fee by 200 dollars saying the manager had miss calculated it. Refused that increase as well. I cannot believe the manager of a busy dealorship could do that. A bait and switch hoping I would not notice it. Of course the car was still sold as a CPO anyway. Sure different experience than when I got my teslas.

A substantial inspection fee for CPO status isn't uncommon. Not including it in the price they are negotiating is both unusual and unethical if they are promising it as a CPO car.
Walter

Sadly, I don't think a dealer trying to sneak in hundreds or thousands of dollars in bull$h!t fees and recalculations is new or uncommon. It's been standard practice since their were car dealers. I personally like haggling and am always willing to walk out of a dealer if they don't capitulate to my bottom line price, but I like the one-price model better. I decide whether the price is reasonable, or not. No nonsense.

I've had a dealership attempt to increase a lease fee at signing because of "calculation errors", then after I refused to sign, they agreed to go back to the original agreement. I walked out just the same, if I can't trust someone, I don't do business with them.

I've had a dealership attempt to increase a lease fee at signing because of "calculation errors", then after I refused to sign, they agreed to go back to the original agreement. I walked out just the same, if I can't trust someone, I don't do business with them.
That's certainly your right, but your deal was really with the mfr for the lease so other than their pittance of a commission you aren't benefiting that dealer much if it was a great price. I don't care what dealer I use, I just want the best price. Last time around I emailed like ten dealers, got the best price, and then showed that to the closest two dealers and one matched it. Win win.

That's certainly your right, but your deal was really with the mfr for the lease so other than their pittance of a commission you aren't benefiting that dealer much if it was a great price. I don't care what dealer I use, I just want the best price. Last time around I emailed like ten dealers, got the best price, and then showed that to the closest two dealers and one matched it. Win win.

Win win lose, you mean. The distant dealer you used as a stalking horse with no chance at the deal did not win.