Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if Tesla would give P85D owners free ludicrous update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
I don't have P85D, so this does not concern me.

But I feel Tesla should give P85D owners free ludicrous update, because they did not get what was advertised.

Tesla is now offering this update to them with 5000 USD + work. But what if Tesla would offer it for free? Of course it would cost them a lot, but in the long run I believe it would be wise. Think about the headlines "Tesla offers free update to current owners".
Good publicity would be huge. Current owners would praise the company.

Not a good idea, as people would start expecting more free stuff. P85D owners got the acceleration that was advertised. There is a thread about some Danish owners claiming they did not, but I don't agree, and there is plenty of evidence to indicate that they did.

But I feel Tesla should give P85D owners free ludicrous update, because they did not get what was advertised.

Tesla is now offering this update to them with 5000 USD + work. But what if Tesla would offer it for free? Of course it would cost them a lot, but in the long run I believe it would be wise. Think about the headlines "Tesla offers free update to current owners".

Not a good idea, as people would start expecting more free stuff. P85D owners got the acceleration that was advertised. There is a thread about some Danish owners claiming they did not, but I don't agree, and there is plenty of evidence to indicate that they did.
I traded my 60 in for a CPO P85D a few weeks ago and am a bit disappointed in my 0-60 time so far...it's by far the fastest car I've ever had but when I timed it a couple times it was closer to 4 seconds even, not 3.2. I called service here in San Rafael CA and there's nothing it seems they will do about it.

691hp != 500 hp

At the risk of sounding foolish, did Tesla ever promise 691 horsepower? If so, where?

The closest I've seen to Tesla promising a total number was Elon's rather vague "half again as much as a P85" in the October announcement. All the Tesla documents I've seen have just said the 470 rear motor power and the 221 front motor power.

The model S page right now shows at the bottom the 70D as having "328 HP" and "259 HP front and rear motors" and the 85D as having "417 HP" and "259 HP front and rear motors" - and the P85D as having a "259 HP front motor and a 503 HP rear motor" - no total number provided.

Certainly the news media has added the two motor numbers and announced 691 horsepower all over the place, but I never saw Tesla do that. (In fairness, I also never saw Tesla correct anyone who chose to do that.)
Walter

At the risk of sounding foolish, did Tesla ever promise 691 horsepower? If so, where?

The closest I've seen to Tesla promising a total number was Elon's rather vague "half again as much as a P85" in the October announcement. All the Tesla documents I've seen have just said the 470 rear motor power and the 221 front motor power.

The model S page right now shows at the bottom the 70D as having "328 HP" and "259 HP front and rear motors" and the 85D as having "417 HP" and "259 HP front and rear motors" - and the P85D as having a "259 HP front motor and a 503 HP rear motor" - no total number provided.

Certainly the news media has added the two motor numbers and announced 691 horsepower all over the place, but I never saw Tesla do that. (In fairness, I also never saw Tesla correct anyone who chose to do that.)
Walter

Tesla did for awhile have 691hp on their website. Check the long post in the driving dynamics section about this.

no - there would still be mad posts.

Truth. People are going to complain, regardless. Plenty of evidence just in this forum to support that. And all the talk of wanting free stuff?

I predict that things like the thread reporting the swag people got at delivery will drive an internal action at Tesla, making it clear what the limits are on swag. People will get less, not more, because they're going into stores with that thread and saying 'hey, they got all this stuff, where's mine?'.

Actually, it's not as easy as doing it for free.

If I remember correctly, it's not just a software update. They need to replace the fuse in the battery pack to support higher flow of energy (TMC invented a new fuse). If ludicrous speed is just enabled OTA on current P85D models, it will just burn out the fuse in the battery pack.

This is screenshot taken soon after the reveal of P85D

p85D2.jpg

It says 691 Motor Power. Many understood it to mean 691 hp delivered to and measured at the output shaft.

Last edited:

... And a pony!