Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you obsessed with your overall energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
I find myself looking at the wh/mi numbers too much. Why? I don't know. Still a novelty, I guess.

A few days ago, after being at a lifetime (~4K miles) of 284 for about a month, I noticed it just dropped to 283 and let out a "Yesss!" :smile:

Same here, except I'm at 279 wh/mi (70D). I hardly use brakes, and I drive at 62mph on a 55mph freeway.
What is your regen setting? High or low? I'm on high, but wondering if low will be more efficient.
Check this out - Hypermiling like a boss!!

HyperMiler.png

Your lifetime average is only 283Wh/mile? Congratulations. You need to wait for an entire year though, to make sure you're averaging in all the climate conditions. (lots of heating goes on in the winter... drives up your average)

After nearly 2 years mine is stuck at 332Wh/mile. (P85 though)

And yes, I look at it all the time :)

One more Q - do you pre-warm/cool before disconnecting? I don't.
Another Q - how do you use regen? I find that the high regen setting is not smooth enough, and I frequently end up using friction brakes or end up coasting the last few yards at 5mph (no regen).
So sometimes what I do is, I depress the accelerator slightly to keep the regen around 100kw or so, so the car slows down gradually and nicely at the stop sign. I wonder what driving techniques you use to maximize your regen?

Having come from an S60 where I was getting 306 Wh/mile that was heading lower (I used to love to get that going in the "right" direction), the 335 Wh/mile (and heading higher!) of the P85D hurts.

So much so that I'm choosing not to show the trip meter or the energy graph in the dash screen. Problem is that one of the two sides would have to be empty with no nav and no energy/trip with the media taking the other. Annoying :)

I have put over 50K miles on my two Model S, and I still obsess over the Wh/mi numbers. It's the engineer in me: Must. Optimize.

I'm an engineer as well, and have the same problem. My first 10 months of ownership were all spent on Maui, and averaged 311 wh/mi. After driving for 5 months in Albuquerque, I got it down to 293 wh/mi. Now that I'll have it back with me on Maui, I'm lamenting the fact that it will be going back up again. Must. Overcome!

Same here, except I'm at 279 wh/mi (70D). I hardly use brakes, and I drive at 62mph on a 55mph freeway.
What is your regen setting? High or low? I'm on high, but wondering if low will be more efficient.
I keep regen on high. never considered changing the setting.

Your lifetime average is only 283Wh/mile? Congratulations. You need to wait for an entire year though, to make sure you're averaging in all the climate conditions. (lots of heating goes on in the winter... drives up your average)
I believe a lot of it has to do with the altitude. The air resistance at highway speeds is 10-20% less here.
I suspect you're correct about winter, as I spend a lot of time in ski country.

Smilepak - I never noticed those charging numbers above the speedometer, as I'm never in the car while charging.

I find myself looking at the wh/mi numbers too much. Why? I don't know. Still a novelty, I guess.

A few days ago, after being at a lifetime (~4K miles) of 284 for about a month, I noticed it just dropped to 283 and let out a "Yesss!" :smile:

Yes slightly obsessed... with keeping my lifetime average over 400Wh/mi.

On a recent 1500 mile trip with some long gaps between chargers where I had to drive very carefully, our lifetime average dropped to 396Wh/mi and I am gutted... it will take a couple of months to get it back up there again!

I cannot fathom why you'd spend all this money to buy a high performance car with negligible fuel costs, and then drive it like a monk just to save an irrelevantly small amount of money and avoid making use of the performance you paid so much for.

I cannot fathom why you'd spend all this money to buy a high performance car with negligible fuel costs, and then drive it like a monk just to save an irrelevantly small amount of money and avoid making use of the performance you paid so much for.
That's the thing - I am not driving with efficiency in mind. Maybe I'm doing fewer launches from traffic lights than I did the first few months, but that's it. I think a lot of it has to do with driving in the Colorado mountains. Also, it's an 85D which is naturally more efficient.

You will be proud of me though - I did have a 10 mile or so stretch yesterday where I averaged 800wh/mi or so:
Eisenhower Tunnel Approaches in Dillon, CO, United States | MapMyRide

Yes slightly obsessed... with keeping my lifetime average over 400Wh/mi.

On a recent 1500 mile trip with some long gaps between chargers where I had to drive very carefully, our lifetime average dropped to 396Wh/mi and I am gutted... it will take a couple of months to get it back up there again!

I agree 100%. I'm also working to get to 400Wh/mi!!

One-year average, S85 with 19" rims and no air suspension, mostly on WR G3 tires in all seasons, 19765 miles, a few hundred feet above sea level with real winters and summers: 303.8 Wh/mi. Clearly not interested in high speed in either acceleration or steady state, nor other forms of tire destruction. Although I expect to keep these tires to 40,000, driving for "performance" (euphemism for high speed and hard cornering, etc.) would probably have had me changing them at 20,000 or earlier.

I never worry about it. I bought the car because it has amazing performance. Being able to pass cars on steep uphills like I'm ice skating is an amazing feeling.

I am quite amazed that you guys are able to get under 300 though. My average over 26k is around 328. So I guess if I tried really hard, I could probably get it under 300, but I don't understand the point.

My garage has free charging, so not losing anything there either. Why are you guys so concerned about it? Oh and I have an S85.

For me it's more range anxiety and living in Southern California there no SC in a large central part of LA/OC/inland empire area.

On weekend going to visit ppl is usually 40 miles average per direction, then driving around doing chores and grocery. I can easily do 200 per day.

With D70 it average 220-240, I try not to bring it below 20%.

If there more SC, I might drive be more aggressive. For now I leave that to my Lexus GS