Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Model X will have full LED headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be one reason for the various tape camo stylings of the mules...

Yes - and the spotting of these lights on a Model S mule several months ago...

New-Tesla-Model-S-next-generation-LED-headlights.jpg

Would this result with an increase in energy efficiency in any way? Xenon consumptions vs. LED? Or is this just so small to be significant?

What would the practical advantages of LED headlights also be over Xenons? I basically don't know much about cars besides my interest in EV drivetrains and batteries I guess haha.

Would this result with an increase in energy efficiency in any way? Xenon consumptions vs. LED? Or is this just so small to be significant?

What would the practical advantages of LED headlights also be over Xenons? I basically don't know much about cars besides my interest in EV drivetrains and batteries I guess haha.

Efficiency is a benefit, sure. How much, I don't know. The power of LED lighting vs. Xenon depends, in some cars it is about the same, in others it can be better or worse.

One benefit of LED lights, as they are formed of many small lights, is the ability to generate intelligent patterns - Audi for example combines LED lights with navigation data to generate different light patterns for intersections etc. A downside in some LED implementations I've seen is lack of headlight swivel, which Xenons often use to point the lights intelligently depending on curvature and load.

As an emotional issue, I think LEDs just "fit" an EV like Model S better. Xenon reeks of ICE age to me.

I wonder how LED headlamps compare to HID (High Energy Discharge) headlamps?
I have the optional HIDs on my Volvo XC60 and they are fantastically BRILLIANT in the dark.
They are motorized and thus move left to right as you move the steering wheel and self center (up and down) based upon load on the car's suspension. A 2011 implementation.

Does anyone know the actual Lumens output of the current Model S headlamps?

Efficiency is a benefit, sure. How much, I don't know. The power of LED lighting vs. Xenon depends, in some cars it is about the same, in others it can be better or worse.

One benefit of LED lights, as they are formed of many small lights, is the ability to generate intelligent patterns - Audi for example combines LED lights with navigation data to generate different light patterns for intersections etc. A downside in some LED implementations I've seen is lack of headlight swivel, which Xenons often use to point the lights intelligently depending on curvature and load.

As an emotional issue, I think LEDs just "fit" an EV like Model S better. Xenon reeks of ICE age to me.
Hopefully, they'll have an OLED option for Model 3. ;) Those are as malleable as it gets.

I think the ideal solution would be a grid matrix of LEDs, maybe 10x10. If you put these behind a lens you could then steer the beam extremely accurately. LEDs could vary from 100% brightness to off and could steer the light pattern where you need it. I should patent this idea if it hasn't already been invented.

A normal high beam might only use the middle 8x8 portion of the array at full brightness. As you enter a curve the active 8x8 portion could move left or right to steer the beam.

I think the ideal solution would be a grid matrix of LEDs, maybe 10x10. If you put these behind a lens you could then steer the beam extremely accurately. LEDs could vary from 100% brightness to off and could steer the light pattern where you need it. I should patent this idea if it hasn't already been invented.

A normal high beam might only use the middle 8x8 portion of the array at full brightness. As you enter a curve the active 8x8 portion could move left or right to steer the beam.

Audi's Matrix light already has 50 individually controllable LEDs. Audi can, for example, detect a pedestrian and highlight him/her by blinking the respective subset of LEDs on the front as well as use navigation data to direct the beam even before the steering wheel is turned. It can also direct light away from other cars while still continuing to light the rest of the road. It is very smart.

One really needs to watch the video (or drive the car) to appreciate it: Audi Matrix LED Headlights

It really does make Model S, as it is, feel quite antiquated in the lighting department. Of course Model S other redeeming qualities, but as people who want the best for - and the best from - Tesla, this is an area where they should improve as well.

While LEDs are more efficient than xenon, they
1. Will not make any appreciable difference to range since headlights constitute very little energy usage
2. Are not as bright as xenons.
3. Personal speaking, I love the eyebrow lights of the current model s. I wonder what the LED redesign will do.