Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket radio/NAV units

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I normally drive less than 3000 miles per year anyway, so unless I'm on a long trip, I'm going to be throwing care and mileage to the wind while enjoying my Roadster. #1204 arrives in my driveway in about a week. It's in Chicago getting the aftermarket audio/nav system installed, then they tow it up to Minneapolis, where our snowbanks are easily 5 feet tall in places right now. 4 above-freezing days between now and the delivery may solve that, but... probably not. 8^D
Congrats. What aftermarket system are you getting (and was it approved by Tesla)? Thanks.

It's the Kenwood DNX9960 eXcelon. Also, Showtime audio in Chicago is installing over-sized high-end speakers with special adapter rings to accommodate the larger diameter. I'm using the factory subwoofer and amplifier (I'm not much of a subs fan). I wanted the Garmin navigation (I would have settled for TomTom however) and also the Kenwood uses the original Parrot bluetooth chips which are supposed to be the best for hands-free phone interfacing. I would have liked to get the newer 9980 but it's not out yet and I was also concerned about having to use touch-screen volume control while driving (the 9960 has a couple of permanent buttons at the lower part of the screen). I was able to get it for less than $1K on Amazon (it retails around $1700) and with the setup I got from Tesla combined with parts and installation, I'll be right around $3.6K instead of the $3K for the factory audio. I decided against the factory audio/nav package when, during my test drive, we attempted to view the cd/dvd slot by opening the screen and afterward the screen refused to close via the close button until we actually forced it a little (yuck!) I test-drove a 2010 Sport near where I live and man, I was instantly hooked! I'm a little bugged by the pressure on my left calf when putting my foot on the footrest but I'm thinking I can make a second footrest below it that rests on the floor so I can extend my leg.

The dealer in Chicago had already had one customer that had his audio/nav packaged upgraded aftermarket, so he recommended the installer.

Last edited:
Just be sure to get the confirmation from Tesla ON PAPER. Normally you void the warranty by installing any parts not confirmed by Tesla.

I keep seeing this suggestion on this forum, but I don't get it.

First, I thought it was illegal for whole car warranties to be voided simply because one subcomponent has been changed. Doesn't the burden rest on the car company to demonstrate that the modification adversely impacts whatever warranty claim is being made against another part of the vehicle?

Second, my personal experience doesn't match up with this statement. I had my own aftermarket stereo, hands-free calling, speakers, and so on put in the vehicle. I wasn't stupid -- I picked components that were rated to draw no more current than the stock items, lest I run into unexpected electrical issues later. But no where in my documentation or communication from Tesla does it state that I have to get changes "approved." And I have had electrical and other issues with my Roadster that required subsequent warranty repair. In several cases, they asked me about my aftermarket stereo briefly, but it was never an issue.

Does anyone have any actual experience with Tesla "voiding a warranty" because of an aftermarket equipment installation?

I don't think Tesla will upfront void your warranty if you change some parts to aftermarket.

But I can imagine that in the case you suddenly experience problems with clima control and want to declare it a warranty issue, Tesla will ask you if you did any unapproved modifications. Then maybe they will say it could be a problem because of the aftermarket parts and therefore void your warranty. Quite hypothetic, but that always the thing with warranty term.

Just get the approvement paper from Tesla and you're good.

From the owners handbook:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1432&d=1298984400.jpg

vehicle_modifications.jpg

I don't think Tesla will upfront void your warranty if you change some parts to aftermarket.

But I can imagine that in the case you suddenly experience problems with clima control and want to declare it a warranty issue, Tesla will ask you if you did any unapproved modifications. Then maybe they will say it could be a problem because of the aftermarket parts and therefore void your warranty. Quite hypothetic, but that always the thing with warranty term.

Yes, thanks for the text from the manual. In the US, our laws and precedent are pretty clear: they have a clear and heavy burden to show that the aftermarket modification interfered. My real-world experience (one person's only!) is that today they are quite reasonable about the whole thing, as they should be.

It's probably about as good an idea to get a document as it is to not go around on the forum saying "normally you void the warranty." I would do neither on a routine day-to-day basis. :)

I've got the Kenwood KNX9960 in my Tesla. The Nav software is fantastic and the free realtime traffic is great too. The permanent volume buttons are "touch" and I hate them. You can't put more than 255 song files into a folder, and the "random shuffle" plays the same 10 songs over and over even though I've got thousands of songs on my USB thumbdrive.

Be careful not to upgrade to the latest firmware or you'll lose the autorepeat on the volume buttons. Version 1.1.0 is fine, but version 1.4 and later have horrible volume control.

I've got front & rear Kenwood CMOS-300 cameras. The Kenwood CMOS-300 cameras are junk.

Overall a great head unit. 90% happy with it. I was only 40% happy with the factory unit.
KenwoodForums.com View forum - DNX9960, DNX7160 - Navigation Receivers

I'm the guy in Chicago who had a custom stereo and some aftermarket CF installed (well over a year ago). The changes are obvious, but it's never been an issue with Tesla as far as affecting the warranty.

How do you switch between cameras? I'm using the original Tesla rear camera. Where is your front camera mounted? I know I'm going to need one... I have a terrible driveway at my apartment... no view at all of the street, and a hill just before the driveway to the left!

I've got the Kenwood KNX9960 in my Tesla. The Nav software is fantastic and the free realtime traffic is great too. The permanent volume buttons are "touch" and I hate them. You can't put more than 255 song files into a folder, and the "random shuffle" plays the same 10 songs over and over even though I've got thousands of songs on my USB thumbdrive.

Be careful not to upgrade to the latest firmware or you'll lose the autorepeat on the volume buttons. Version 1.1.0 is fine, but version 1.4 and later have horrible volume control.

I've got front & rear Kenwood CMOS-300 cameras. The Kenwood CMOS-300 cameras are junk.

Overall a great head unit. 90% happy with it. I was only 40% happy with the factory unit.
KenwoodForums.com View forum - DNX9960, DNX7160 - Navigation Receivers

This was started in another thread but thought this would be a good place for this.

Anyone who has upgraded their Roadster's NAV unit please share what unit, how you like it, and if it's caused any problems with Tesla during servicing...etc

Thanks.

I'm thinking about getting the Sony/TomTom unit.

I looked at everything and settled on the Kenwood 9960 because I read so many disappointing reviews about Bluetooth audio quality in the Sony. I wish it had a volume knob. The 9980 comes out soon but I couldn't wait. My Sport is in Chicago and as soon as the stem is installed and I pick a loan provider it can be towed to me on a trailer! As you might imagine, I'm tingling with anticipation!

I'm trying to get a front left/right looking camera for the car so I can see traffic at the end of my brutal driveway. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Seriously, if I really need GPS I just bring my Garmin along.

I would normally do that but with the windshield already so small and no place to put the GPS (in the car), it would be nice to have it built in. You could always put it in the trunk I guess.

I'm trying to get a front left/right looking camera for the car so I can see traffic at the end of my brutal driveway. Any suggestions?
I would actually like this for a rear left/right camera as well (or blindspot camera). Thanks for the suggestion. I bought a bluetooth Jawbone ERA since I turned the bluetooth off on my Alpine. I've had TomTom for over 10 years so would prefer to stick with that but will check out the new Kenwood too. Thanks.

I just put a Sony in my son's BMW and even with the in unit microphone (none remote mounted) everyone says the sound quality is fine.
Did you get the 7" or the 6.1" version? What do you think of the unit overall?

Last edited:
Someone asked where I mounted the front camera. Here's a super blurry cellphone camera shot of my front bumper. The front plate is attached to one of those "foundry license plate bracket" things, but new holes were drilled in the foundry bracket so that the plate sits about 1" lower than intended. That leaves just enough room to mount the camera right above the top of the front plate. If anyone really needs a better pic then I can get one.

Attachments

• frontcam.jpg
    frontcam.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 261
Last edited: