Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement - getting better?

My drive unit was replaced and my car was produced:

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • 1Q 2013

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • 2Q 2013

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 3Q 2013

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • 4Q 2013

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 1Q 2014

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 2Q 2014

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 3Q 2014

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • 4Q 2014

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 1Q 2015

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 2Q 2015

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 3Q 2015

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 4Q 2015

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Recently Elon stated they were working towards a million mile drive train. This is a worthy goal and I personally would like to see them succeed (although I probably won't live long enough to drive my car a million miles).
We know that Tesla had some problems with drive trains (inadequate lubrication, slack parts) and it seems that it is very easy to replace the drive unit so rather than trying to diagnose and repair the drive train in the field, they just replace it and send it for factory reconditioning.
Hopefully their efforts are bearing fruit and newer cars have fewer drive unit problems.
This poll is intended to try to see if we can find a trend in drive unit problems.
I'd like people who have had one (or more) drive unit replacements to enter the production date of their car (by quarter). The gory details of failure mode, number of replacements, mileage, odd sounds, etc. can go in individual comments to the thread.
Of course, like all polls here, we don't have denominators and newer cars will have fewer miles, etc. but we might find out something interesting.

Recently Elon stated they were working towards a million mile drive train. This is a worthy goal and I personally would like to see them succeed (although I probably won't live long enough to drive my car a million miles).
We know that Tesla had some problems with drive trains (inadequate lubrication, slack parts) and it seems that it is very easy to replace the drive unit so rather than trying to diagnose and repair the drive train in the field, they just replace it and send it for factory reconditioning.
Hopefully their efforts are bearing fruit and newer cars have fewer drive unit problems.
This poll is intended to try to see if we can find a trend in drive unit problems.
I'd like people who have had one (or more) drive unit replacements to enter the production date of their car (by quarter). The gory details of failure mode, number of replacements, mileage, odd sounds, etc. can go in individual comments to the thread.
Of course, like all polls here, we don't have denominators and newer cars will have fewer miles, etc. but we might find out something interesting.
I believe I've seen at least two reports of post-April 2015 builds needing drive unit replacements. But I sure hope those were aberations.

No replacement yet. Q3 2012, 51k miles.

(Dang it; the first time I read this I correctly did not answer the poll because my DU has not been replaced. But I clicked on the thread again today, saw 2012 at the top and voted when I shouldn't have. I don't think there is a way for me to remove my incorrect vote. Sorry)

Last edited:
No accomodation in your poll for multiple replacements, my drive unit was replaced a second time within a week of the first replacement. SvC were very nice during the entire ordeal.
I'm really only interested in the production date of your car so we could potentially see if cars are getting better (or worse) over time.
What was your production date?
The details of number of replacements, mileage, etc. can go in the comments.
If your replacement was replaced within a week, then the replacement unit was faulty, not the original unit.

Car produced in Q1 2013.

2 replacements so far.
1st (ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE (1002633-01-D)) at ~16k miles.
2nd (DRIVE UNIT - SPORT WITH SHIMS - REMAN - (1025598-00-H)) at ~26k miles.

Current drive unit just started (~36k miles) with the buzzing/milling again. So a few thousands miles and it will be another replacement.

(LMB spouse)

2013Q2 S85. Drive unit replaced twice.

First time was at 6000 miles because of the loud rumble/tire-noise-like-sound. The replacement was a rebuilt unit. It was great but after a few thousand miles developed a loud inverter whine at low power levels, 5-20 kW, i.e. typical steady driving power. Note that this is NOT the so-called balloon squeal noise heard during hard acceleration.

Second replacement was at 36,000 miles, just a week ago, after listening to the whine for a year and a half. No problems so far.

I'm a Q3 2013'er as well and am on my 6th (5 replacements - Hum, Milling, Hum, Milling, Hum) through 53k miles. Last one (-M revision) in May has been going strong for 6,000 miles so have my fingers crossed this will be the one.

I'm a Q3 2013'er as well and am on my 6th (5 replacements - Hum, Milling, Hum, Milling, Hum) through 53k miles. Last one (-M revision) in May has been going strong for 6,000 miles so have my fingers crossed this will be the one.

whoa. i think you take the prize for most DU replacements. 6 in 53K is more often than oil changes in a ICE car. In fact, I don't think there's any maintenance item in any car than is replaced as often.

My last DU swap in February was also an M revision, and so far (knock wood) it has been rock solid after 12,000 miles. This is one is lasting the longest so far! :)