Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion Tesla Adapter to Mennekes socket

Nice, the 32A versions sounds very useful - but breaks the IEC standards. Get one while you can...

But RWE got those cables from somewhere. Probably as part of the deal when they bought the cars. I don't know why Tesla just can't sell it. Sure they'd need to be CE rated and all that, but the market that wants them is a few hundred people now easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    I don't know why Tesla just can't sell it. Sure they'd need to be CE rated and all that, but the market that wants them is a few hundred people now easily.
    or even make the parts available so a third party can undertake the approvals process... this is a high value niche market so while of little interest to Tesla would be of value to a mom and pop shop...

as i understand, that mennekes is compatibel to MOD 2 protocol. There is a wide range of adapters from Tesla available for different american sockets. Here, they only have to take the signal from the mennekes socket. Am i right?
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

Well, true. But they CE approved the UMC so I don't see this as any different in terms of volumes.

Maybe we could set up a group buy for the Mennekes to 60309 adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
    Thats want I want do have too. What is the price for the adapter?
    Both come with a 4M cable, the price:

- 16A: EUR 244,00 ( 36005: Mennekes 4meter laadkabel 20A 1-fase mode 3 (L1,N,RA,CP,PP) EV-laadstekker (Type 2) - open eind )
    - 32A: EUR 335,00 ( 36008: Mennekes 4meter laadkabel 32A 3-fase mode 3 (L1,L2,L3,N,RA,CP,PP) EV-laadstekker (Type 2) - open eind )

The 16A cable is actually a 20A cable, but the resistor limits it to 16A. At the end there is no connector, so you can place any CEE connector on it what you like.

The Mennekes connector is also not freely available, they don't want people hobby'ing around with large currents.

They (EV-Box) told me that they were planning to cut open a Mobile connector from Tesla and wire the mennekes directly to the Tesla connector. If that works, you could buy an extra Mobile connector and do some soldering
    Last edited by widodh; 2011-03-18 at 06:08 AM.

So as not to drag this off topic, I've started a group buy thread here.

FYI - if you mount a CEE red/blue on the other end of the Menneks Plug, there is no "communication" with the car !

without the "PP" PlugPresent Signal the Menneks Station does't Power on ! ... if you "bridge" the PP - Signal , Menneks will
    provide max. 16 A (in Europe) even with an 32A Cabel ... cause Mode 3 communication is missing .....

Quote Originally Posted by EV_de View Post
    FYI - if you mount a CEE red/blue on the other end of the Menneks Plug, there is no "communication" with the car !

without the "PP" PlugPresent Signal the Menneks Station does't Power on ! ... if you "bridge" the PP - Signal , Menneks will
    provide max. 16 A (in Europe) even with an 32A Cabel ... cause Mode 3 communication is missing .....
    They told me there is a resistor in the 32A cable which fakes the signal to the station, so it provides 32A.

no, the resistor "tells" the Station only that the cable you pluged in can handle max. up to 16A / 32A / 63A aso...

^ what he said.

But also a second resistor (and a diode) is the car present / start charging signal, so that fakes the presence of a 'car' to the EVSE. It then starts supplying current up to the limit of that station. The resistor value also tells the EVSE whether ventilation is required.

Normally, an oscillator in the EVSE signals the maximum current the car can take from it. The car would then adjust itself to take that amount only. In this case that oscillator will be ignored if there is a CEE socket on the other end of the lead. However, Tesla's UMC will generate another copy of that oscillating signal and send it into the car. The UMC generates a signal that is appropriate for the pigtail on it. In this case, of course, it will be a 32A pigtail.

So this should work - but it's up to the user to know not to overload the EVSE.

Thread Information