Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Premium Outlets Just Opened....No Charging Stations....disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
So a gigantic new premium outlet center just opened in Gloucester Township NJ. It has been under construction for several months. I had been wondering if (and hoping) that they would have charging stations there. Not for me...I'm only a few miles away, but how can such a large project which needs to attract 1,000s of people not have chargers? These people just don't get it. They're going to have to install them anyway in the near future. Had they planned for it and done it up front, the cost would be so much less.

Sorry about the rant, but any new retail construction should have chargers there, especially ones that will be attracting people from hours away. It's just disappointing and disheartening.

Considering EVs are only <0.5% of vehicles on the road, I'm not surprised.

You want to pick low hanging fruit. For now (and the near future), those aren't EVs.

Installing a few J1772 stations doesn't cost much and helps attract the sort of customer you want to have. According to the internet (a widely known and highly respected source of facts), the average parking space in a lot costs $4,000. More than a charger! While EVs remain more expensive than the average car, attracting EVs means attracting people with more than the average amount of money.

A lot of places seem to agree with this. It's far from universal, but I'm seeing a lot of places with charging stations out there, especially at places like outlet centers.

Installing a few J1772 stations doesn't cost much and helps attract the sort of customer you want to have. According to the internet (a widely known and highly respected source of facts), the average parking space in a lot costs $4,000. More than a charger! While EVs remain more expensive than the average car, attracting EVs means attracting people with more than the average amount of money.

A lot of places seem to agree with this. It's far from universal, but I'm seeing a lot of places with charging stations out there, especially at places like outlet centers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more [free or even paid] J1772 chargers. But it's not low hanging fruit. And considering a parking space is $4k, I can understand why an owner might not want to EV it.

I'm seeing more and more chargers as well, but I just can't get-past the fact that new construction isn't seeing the light. As we said, it will attract visitors and it doesn't even have to be free. I don't think having a cost to use the chargers is a deterrent. it's a win-win-win (property owner, customer and environment).

I'm seeing more and more chargers as well, but I just can't get-past the fact that new construction isn't seeing the light. As we said, it will attract visitors and it doesn't even have to be free. I don't think having a cost to use the chargers is a deterrent. it's a win-win-win (property owner, customer and environment).

It's only a win-loss-win. It's a loss for all the ICE customers as most times the public chargers are located near the entrance to the mall to reduce the amount of cable that needs to be run into the parking lot.

It's only a win-loss-win. It's a loss for all the ICE customers as most times the public chargers are located near the entrance to the mall to reduce the amount of cable that needs to be run into the parking lot.

Precisely why they should have planned for the chargers BEFORE construction. This way they can put plan for putting them farther away.

But how long do people stay at malls?

With a J1772 plug you only get about 20 mph so, unless you're going there for dinner and/or a movie, I don't see them being a big win. Even for a limited range vehicle like a Leaf, an owner would have to be pretty brave to travel to a mall beyond round trip range and count on charging there. What if it were already in use?

But how long do people stay at malls?

With a J1772 plug you only get about 20 mph so, unless you're going there for dinner and/or a movie, I don't see them being a big win. Even for a limited range vehicle like a Leaf, an owner would have to be pretty brave to travel to a mall beyond round trip range and count on charging there. What if it were already in use?

Most malls have restaurants and most Tesla stores are in malls. I have charged at Tesla stores a couple of times. I only needed about a 20 to 30 mile buffer for those trips so it was perfect. People will find the mall on Plugshare and will stop there en route to charge so it attracts customers. They can make money off of the chargers-themselves too.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put regular chargers at a outlet mall to me. I don't see many people making a specific trip to a outlet mall because they have chargers, and they're maintenance nightmares. The number of dead chargers on plugshare is impressive. I certainly wouldn't.

Superchargers are a different story. However based on the coming soon chart Tesla is putting a supercharger close to AC at some point, which would be a far better location than Gloucester, and would make on in Gloucester redundant.