Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver assistance features disabled. Contact Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else experiencing this issue over and over again? I have a month old MS with autopilot hardware. I have gotten this message 3 times already. The first time all it took was wiping a water mark from that little square below the front license plate. The other 2 times that did not help but the message went away on its own after a few hours.

I keep calling my SC and they keep telling me conflicting things like - "this is normal, it's just your autopilot hardware telling you that not all of the updates are out" or "we'll pull the logs and call you back" but then no one calls me back. The 3rd time I got the message I called and demanded they pick up the car, leave me a loaner and figure out what's wrong. The problem is that they gave me a service date over 2 weeks from now... The message disappeared after a while and my fear is that they'll get the car, say nothing's wrong with it and return it..

A month old MS and this is the 4th time I call the SC. It's already been taking in once for another issue. Love the car, don't love the bugs..

Is anyone else experiencing this issue over and over again? I have a month old MS with autopilot hardware. I have gotten this message 3 times already. The first time all it took was wiping a water mark from that little square below the front license plate. The other 2 times that did not help but the message went away on its own after a few hours.

I keep calling my SC and they keep telling me conflicting things like - "this is normal, it's just your autopilot hardware telling you that not all of the updates are out" or "we'll pull the logs and call you back" but then no one calls me back. The 3rd time I got the message I called and demanded they pick up the car, leave me a loaner and figure out what's wrong. The problem is that they gave me a service date over 2 weeks from now... The message disappeared after a while and my fear is that they'll get the car, say nothing's wrong with it and return it..

A month old MS and this is the 4th time I call the SC. It's already been taking in once for another issue. Love the car, don't love the bugs..

Yes. It happened to me frequently since day one. Around every 1-2 weeks. The message goes away after a couple of hours. I've contacted my SC and they weren't that helpful. However, since the last few upgrades, I haven't seen the message in the last month... Finger crossed.

Dirt/snow on radar unit in front grille....

I had this issue a few times in the winter, when ice was obstructing the radar unit.

If I were you, I'd thoroughly clean the radar unit really well any time you get the error. Once the radar unit has been cleaned, the error could still take a while--possibly a day or more--to clear.

If you're really not finding anything on the radar unit then you just have to hope service can find something in two weeks, when they get the car.

Edit: Just thought of this...could anything be partially blocking your radar unit? For example, part of a license plate bracket, or something along those lines?

I had this happen I think three times. The first time I ignored it. The second time I scheduled service, but it started working before my appointment arrived. The third time, I cleverly got a flat tire while it was still showing the error message to get a fast service time and the service center appears to have permanently solved it. They recalibrated it and did some mystery troubleshooting with the California engineering folks that apparently included a firmware patch of some sort.

I've had the exact same problem as you. Had to give my car in thrice. First they switched out the radar, then they recalibrated the front camera but the problem came back again. They had to eventually recalibrate the radar and do some reset for the sensors and then the problem hasn't come up in the past 4 months. Hope this helps. If any questions ask me.

Just to clear things up. Nothing's blocking the radar on my car. There's certainly no snow in August. No dirt that I can see. As I said before there was a small water spot there the first time but it's been clean now. That being said I find it ridiculous that we're all waiting for the autopilot update yet such a small thing like a barely visible water spot (not dirt, not debris, just an outline of the area that had some water condense on it) can screw with it.

The radar is so low, every time it rains there will be some water coming in contact with it...

Just to clear things up. Nothing's blocking the radar on my car. There's certainly no snow in August. No dirt that I can see. As I said before there was a small water spot there the first time but it's been clean now. That being said I find it ridiculous that we're all waiting for the autopilot update yet such a small thing like a barely visible water spot (not dirt, not debris, just an outline of the area that had some water condense on it) can screw with it.

The radar is so low, every time it rains there will be some water coming in contact with it...
I have had one instance where the "Cruise Control not Available" due to a problem with the radar popped up on the freeway. After 10 minutes (and a reboot of the main display), it spontaneously resolved. My guess was a paper bag got on the grillwork.

I've had this I've had this happen a few times. It seems to be related to the sun shining directly into the camera above the mirror. I've had it in for service and they updated some firmware but that didn't seem to make much difference. However lately it hasn't been happening as much so I think they've been improving the software.

Having the exact same problem on a three-month-old model s, maybe once or twice a week at random. Should've searched the threads before posting. My bad.

Thanks for the suggestion to clean the sensor. After reading all these posts, I definitely won't bother calling customer support.

Bugs happen.

It can also be dirt in front of the rear-mirror camera.

The first 2 times I got this message, Tesla had my car in for a re-calibration of the feature. Requires them to drive at minimum speed for some time (I think it was like minimum 30 mph for 15 minutes or something like that). But the last 2 times it happened to me, it went away after I turned the car off and on again and the latest was yesterday with version 7, first time I turned car on with v7 I got it, but I put it in reverse and backed out of garage and the message disappeared. I never had success getting the message to disappear when restarting any of the two screens.