Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling P85D owners world-wide for survey and complaint letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear fellow P85D owner.

As you might have heard from different forums around the world, the Tesla Model S - P85D doesn't currently perform as stated by Tesla. For one the acceleration times is about 1/2 a second slower than advertised, secondly the stated 700 hp is nowhere near what we have seen from dyno tests. Also the data from the vehicle itself shows a far to low power consumption to be able to support a 700 hk (515 kW) performance.

With your help we will now start to collect performance data from P85D owners world-wide, to see if this is a problem beyond for the P85D owner in Denmark that originally started this case (14 persons). We believe it is a world-wide issue but we want to know for certain and open up a more global discussion and data collection.

We have been in contact with Tesla for several months on this issue to open up the dialog, however Tesla has so fare refused to reply to our complaint letter #1 and # 2.

For more information, please refer to:

http://www.teslaforum.dk/p85d/

If you would like to be a part of the world-wide data collection and complaint letter #3 to Tesla, please sign up on the site with your VIN number, name and e-mail address.

We would like to state here that we are all satisfied with our incredible vehicles in almost every aspect and we are full of admiration for Tesla Motors. We see yourself as true ambassadors of Model S and enjoy the attention and discussion that we have with like-minded and "not so like-minded" people that we meet along the way.

Nonetheless we are disappointed that Tesla Motors has clearly not been able to deliver to us what was promised and marketed with the introduction of the P85D.

Our goal is simply to get what we bought and paid for.

On behalf of the Danish fourteen P85D users

Br

Torben, Henrik and Ken.

• Disagree
Reactions: jbcarioca
Tesla seriously needs to open a dialogue about this make it right for the owners. Making false claims is serious in the consumer world. As others have noted, Mazda was forced to buy back RX8s when they made less horsepower than claimed. That discrepancy was way less than what Tesla is facing now. Yamaha was forced to buy back R6 motorcycles when the engine didn't rev as high as they claimed. I hope Tesla takes things like this into consideration before making future statements about their vehicles. The cars are unique and incredible enough without having to make exaggerations that may land you in legal trouble.

Dear fellow P85D owner.

... For one the acceleration times is about 1/2 a second slower than advertised, secondly the stated 700 hp is nowhere near what we have seen from dyno tests....

Motor Trend and others have gotten the advertised 0-60 times, 3.1 sec?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1411_2015_tesla_model_s_p85d_first_test/

Dyno test says 864 foot-pounds of torque (more than advertised 713)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-p85d-scores-amazing-dyno-test-result/
http://jalopnik.com/first-tesla-p85d-on-a-dyno-puts-down-864-foot-pounds-of-1675557317

That is after the one foot rollout which they didn't know about.

Do we really need another thread about how unhappy people are about the P85D on this issue? Sometimes its just best to enjoy something nice in your life instead of being upset about it all the time. It's an amazing car even with the 1 foot rollout and however many hp it produces.

Last edited:

Do we really need another thread about how unhappy people are about the P85D on this issue? Sometimes its just best to enjoy something nice in your life instead of being upset about it all the time. It's an amazing car even with the 1 foot rollout and however many hp it produces.

PLEASE, everybody , DO NOT start a discussion in this thread about if the complain is valid or not. This thread is about ACTION against Tesla. If you disagree, simply stay quite or post your comments to the 691HP* thread.

MODS, it would be great if you could move out any post which does not discuss the ACTION issue into the 691HP* thread.

More torque than advertised (which is why 0-60 is as fast as it is for a 5000 lb) but *way* less power than advertised which is why it's 50-70 passing speed is slower than all other ICE cars that have similar power to weight ratio specs and even slower than many cars that have worse power to weight ratio specs.

I am willing to add my name/vin to complaint letter, but I dont have any data to offer on performance. Is that OK or do you just want owners with performance data?

I simply want the infamous update for high speed performance.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to go back and look at the early offering but 3.3 seconds 0-60 seems to stick in my mind which my car does.
Without roll-out? Us europeans dont do drag-strip numbers. Here in europe the 0(zero) in 0-60 actually means 0 and not 3-4;)

Also notice that Tesla claimed to be as quick as the Mclaren F1 which has an official 3.2s time without roll-out as confirmed by Mclaren officials. Sadly/strangely its somewhat hard to prove those claims one way or the other as I dont know many F1-owners:)

To be honest the 0-100kph is more than fast enough for me on its own, but I would like more oomph after 50-60kph or so:) and I would like Tesla to stick to their words.

What exactly did Tesla promise for 60+mph performance? They listed an unrealistic hp number yes but what time in seconds was promised that you object to?

You've already asked this in other threads and have already had it answered multiple times by me and others. You're just baiting at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares what the HP number is? Did Tesla mess up? Maybe? HP is different in E motors anyway compared to engines, but big deal! the car is scary fast regardless. Stop whining!

Yup, electric motors have very different looking power curves than ICE motors, but HP is still HP whether it's made by an electric motor, ICE motor, steam engine, or Fred Flintstone pounding his feat on the pavement.

Who cares what the HP number is? Did Tesla mess up? Maybe? HP is different in E motors anyway compared to engines, but big deal! the car is scary fast regardless. Stop whining!

I would love to sell things to you guys since you obviously do not care if the things you buy live up to what was claimed. But I see no reason for you to care if somebody else do care about getting what they paid for. If you have a P85D please sign up at the site and post your times showing that your cars delivers - this would help Tesla identify what is wrong with our cars so they can fix it. Thank you for helping us fellow Tesla owners instead of just saying we are whining

You've already asked this in other threads and have already had it answered multiple times by me and others. You're just baiting at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, electric motors have very different looking power curves than ICE motors, but HP is still HP whether it's made by an electric motor, ICE motor, steam engine, or Fred Flintstone pounding his feat on the pavement.
+1 - the same goes for 0-60mph and seconds, no different for a electric car than any other cars

I'm not baiting. You and others have said what Tesla implied with 691hp but what performance did they promise?

October 14, 2014 - Tesla Official blog - Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot | Tesla Motors Norge

- - - Updated - - -

So my only question is, what do you guys actually hope to accomplish with this? Free Ludicrous upgrade?

Speaking for my self - a fix. How Tesla goes about fixing it is up them self. As long as it gives me the HP and Acceleration they claim it has.

- - - Updated - - -

A good way to get banned for life from ever buying a Tesla again.
That would be the most funny thing it the world - 'We do not deliver, you call us out and we ban you'. That will make it straight to Harvard Business School as a case on how not to do :)

Who cares what the HP number is?

Apparently those who bought the car specifically based upon the HP advertised. Is that so difficult to understand?

What if you bought a computer based upon an advertised speed of 4 GHz, but then discovered the CPU only delivered 2.5 GHz. Wouldn't you be upset? Doesn't the 4 GHz speed that was advertised represent a certain level of performance that cannot be attained at the actual, delivered CPU speed of 2.5 GHz? And what if the computer that you're replacing already runs at 2.5 GHz, wouldn't that make your purchase completely unnecessary and a potential waste of money?

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking for my self - a fix. How Tesla goes about fixing it is up them self. As long as it gives me the HP and Acceleration they claim it has.

You absolutely received the acceleration that was promised, as has been independently verified numerous times. Being off by ½ second well within the margin of error, and not something upon which you should base your argument. When other car manufacturers advertise 0-60 times, how many people do you think can actually achieve those times? At least with a Tesla, you can get really close without being a professional driver.

By the way, the EU has much stricter consumer protection laws than in the US. If complaints are filed over there, Tesla will come under a lot of government scrutiny over its policies and representations. That could get ugly for Tesla in the EU.

Last edited: