Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW "Bulli" Microbus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Iconic VW Microbus, Reimagined as an EV | Autopia | Wired.com

I think the author is on here sometimes.

I take issue with the "The Bulli is glacially slow like the Microbus. The 3,200-pound vehicle trundles to 62 mph in 11.5 seconds. Propulsion, such as it is, comes from an 85 kilowatt [113 horsepower] motor that draws power from a 40-kilowatt-hour lithium ion pack."

Seems pretty biased. I'd like to have a go in whatever VW van he's got.

VW-Bulli-concept.jpg

I wasn't going to comment on this but I find it hard to hold back since I find myself growling everytime I hear this thing referred to as a "bus". It's not. It's a 5 passenger car. If you took the big VW branding off and painted it with one color, it would resemble a Scion xB (1st gen) as much as anything else.

That's not to say I don't like it. I do. I like the form factor, the adequate battery pack and the general aesthetics. It's just not a bus.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to comment on this but I find it hard to hold back since I find myself growling everytime I hear this thing referred to as a "bus". It's not. It's a 5 passenger car. If you took the big VW branding off it and painted it with one color, it would resemble a Scion xB (1st gen) as much as anything else.

That's not to say I don't like it. I do. I like the form factor, the adequate battery pack and the general aesthetics. It's just not a bus.

2006_Scion_xB_.jpg

passat.jpg

Image credit: VW

There currently isn’t really a way for me to get my hands on a 85 kWh Tesla. And at the moment I need that kind of range to earn a living. So instead I drive the previous version of the VW Passat wagon (above) with manual transmission that can be propelled by methane. In Sweden ~60% of all methane for road vehicles is produced locally from recycled organic waste from households, farms and food processing industries and such. In theory almost 70% of all traffic on Swedish roads could be propelled by methane from recycled organic waste if all that waste was indeed recycled. Unfortunately that’s not the case (And it’s probably a an even more distant prospect in the US…). This way though – even though I’m not driving an electric car – I at least get to give Saudi Arabia and their cohorts the finger...

And, and the importance of the following can not be stressed enough:

There is ABSOLUTELY NO FRACKING ANYWHERE IN SWEDEN. As far as I’m aware there’s no fracking in any Scandinavian country!!!

Last edited:
Is there a European on-sale date yet for the Passat GTE Estate? We just retired our 2001 Passat GLX Wagon for an e-Golf. I would have preferred the Passat GTE Estate, but in the States we get our Passats from the US factory and there will be no Wagon. :mad: Now I will get the CHAdeMO mod for my RAV4 EV and make that our long(er) distance car - until Model 3.

I wasn't going to comment on this but I find it hard to hold back since I find myself growling everytime I hear this thing referred to as a "bus". It's not. It's a 5 passenger car. If you took the big VW branding off and painted it with one color, it would resemble a Scion xB (1st gen) as much as anything else.

I agree that this is a weak effort from VW. A 5-door hatchback is NOT a substitute for the bus.

I suspect that Model X is going to be the used vehicle of choice for the counterculture circa 2030-2040.

I agree that this is a weak effort from VW. A 5-door hatchback is NOT a substitute for the bus.

I suspect that Model X is going to be the used vehicle of choice for the counterculture circa 2030-2040.

I have no idea why the mods merged the ggies07 post into this thread, but not my reply. If you read the article posted by ggies07 it's clear they are NOT talking about the 4 year old Bulli concept, but some completely different electric camper. They just posted the video about the Bulli as an example of what VW has proposed previously.