Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this safe to use on a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I'm wanting to detail my Model S, I have standard white.
I was thinking normal wash with microfibre cloth, followed by isopro alcohol and micro cloth, followed by Meguiar's DA Powerpak Comound Meguiars DA PowerPak Compound - Walmart.com , followed by Opti-Gloss.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the Meguiar's Powerpak Compound. The pad attaches to an electric drill. I just wanted to make sure this will be ok with the Tesla, as I know it has softer paint than most cars. I assume I would just make sure to not apply more than a few pounds of pressure on the drill while using it.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have never used any sort of buffer on a vehicle, I would not make my first attempt with that drill-based compound system. It's far too easy to cause swirl marks, holograms, or even cut through the clear coat entirely. A dual action polisher is much more forgiving.

If you have never used any sort of buffer on a vehicle, I would not make my first attempt with that drill-based compound system. It's far too easy to cause swirl marks, holograms, or even cut through the clear coat entirely. A dual action polisher is much more forgiving.

Yeah, I have one of those dual action polishers, but haven't used it in years. I find it's just as easy to do it by hand.

I have a dual action orbital polisher. It works great on the wood floors of my front and back porch when I need to reseal them and get the last stage of the finish right.

I have a drill. It makes holes.

Just saying.

Last edited:
I did a bunch of research into doing detailing myself recently. Pretty much everything I've read says to use an orbital buffer. Specifically, the porter cable 7424xp is mentioned repeatedly (I think there are some newer models of the same thing with slightly different numbers/letters).

Spend the ~$130, save your multi-thousand dollar paint job :)

The entire duragloss line is pretty well recommended. Also, do NOT buff the clear bra or you'll remove it's very thin shiny layer. Just normal detail cleaning on it (e.g. Plexus or some such).

Again, this is mostly after spending several hours reading up on detailing on various forums. I haven't actually done a detailing job yet on my car, maybe at the end of summer.

Go to Detailed Image.com and read the how to and pro blogs they have a wealth of information.

DO NO USE A DRILL OR WALMART/AUTO ZONE CHEAP POLISHER invest in a Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer a less expensive Polisher but well worth it as it cuts your time polishing/buffing down by 70%

I use Meguiar's M205 on a Microfiber Cutting Buffing Pad as part of my bodywork cleaning regimen but to do it right, it take time and prep thee is a lot more than just washing and compounding if you want a perfect base for the sealant.

Once that sealant is laid down anything left under it is there for good (or lots of extra work to correct the mistake) including dirt swirl and dust.

I strongly suggest you read the "How to's" on Detailed Image they are written by pros who know their stuff, set aside a day and enjoy the hard work it is so worth it when you wake up the next day and step outside and see your hard work result in a showroom shine.

Good Luck

Agree on skipping the drill bit, and as Artsci implied, you should always start with the least aggressive polish and pad to get the job done.

The PC 7424 is a very safe DA polisher as is the Griots Garage 6 inch DA polisher. If you're serious about detailing your car and want to make a habit out of it, pick up either of these two polishers and check out detailedimage.com as was suggested or autogeek.net.