Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon fiber spoiler project.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past few weeks we have been working on a carbon fiber spoiler amongst other things, (door pulls, hood tail lights, etc) so I thought I'd show the progress on that :). These are pictures from before the weekend, later on today I have to grab more updated pics of the spoiler put together and seamed.

This is the spoiler in the mold. This piece requires a two part mold. The base, and top. The spoiler is in the base mold and we were prepping it to make the top mold.

2011-02-15_20-27-01_342.jpg

Here are the two halves of the spoiler trimmed . I don't know if you can tell its carbon fiber because of all the carbon fiber dust, but if you look hard you can see.

2011-02-27_03-01-38_977.jpg

And here is the base mocked up on Sams car! The sides have not been trimmed yet on this picture, thats why it looks like its sticking out. We had to take a caliper to measure every inch of the piece so that way we can compare every piece to the mm in measurement. On a piece like this there is no room for error!

2011-02-27_03-17-20_991.jpg

I'll post more pics tonight with updates :).

My friend Carl here with a blue Roadster brought that idea up about two months ago. We will be making a fiberglass prototype with a little lump in the center (under the spoiler not on top) where it could house a small camera. He knows a guy who specializes in such electronics and will be finding us the smallest camera with night vision he can. The spoiler we will be prototyping will also come with infrared LED to assist the night vision.

Thumbs up!

I am hoping for lumpless. A simple hole on the rear trailing edge for the lens and the camera electronics packaged inside the wing itself or wired so the module is attached under trunk lid. Very clean.

I hope someone can show us a tiny camera and lens arrangement that can be separated from the circuit board they are usually attached to.
I imagine the lens and sensor mounted in a hole in the back of the center wing and the tiny bit of electronics enclosed (sealed) in a container or bag in the hollow space of the wing. OR, the mounted camera/lens is wired to circuit board further away -mounted so it's more accessible attached to the inside of the trunk lid reducing any repair difficulties.

Here is a small camera that could fit. How you get it in there would be a trick.

High Resolution Snake CCD Video Camera

Good find Jim (and welcome!). That is exactly what i was looking for. Since CarbonOne is building the wings from scratch it would seem the hard part would be adjusting the shooting angle of the camera before it is "glued" in. Perhaps it has enough fish-eye (3.7 mm) that it would not make much difference if it is panned left or tilted up too much.

edit to add:

Does it need to be the High rez version shown? The normal cam is $100 less and is the same size with 300 lines VS 540.

Last edited:
^^ That is a pretty good find! For now, I will leave this up to my friend Car's friend. I'm making them a blank spoiler this week so that way Car's guy here can find out the best camera possible.

I'm hoping for the following features.
+ fish eye lens
+ the ability to angle the camera left and right from the drivers seat, (I believe its called panning). Up and down would be great as well.
+ And night vision since I'd be able to install infrared LEDs next to the camera.

I'm sure I'd be able to offer the option of at least two cameras with two different price ranges. I'd like to offer limitless options but it also gets difficult since eventually too many options clog up operations. I'd also like to be able to stock one or two spoilers at a time.

Also, we plan on offering third brake light LED strips installed for those who'd like lights there.

Status
Not open for further replies.