Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A ride for NJ Dad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Here's what I'm pretty sure is an unusual request, aimed at the NJ dwellers among the forum. My wife and I live in Oregon and we got our Model S 85D (aka Lucille) about four months ago. Not surprisingly, all our friends and family are excited and full of questions. My father, who is in his mid-80's and not in the best of shape, is among the most excited and curious. I'd love for Dad to ride in a Model S but he and the rest of my family live near Red Bank, NJ.

We are heading to Red Bank for a family wedding in a couple of weeks. We considered driving across the country so we could tour him around in Lucille but we can't take that much time. I could try to schedule a test drive there but the NJ Tesla stores where I could do that are pretty far north of where they live and I know he won't want to make the trip. So... here's my request:

Is there anyone near Red Bank with a Model S who would be willing to drive Dad and me around for 15-20 minutes and let him experience the wow-ness of these fabulous cars we own? He and my mom live in Oceanport, which is near Parkway exit 105, but we could meet you anywhere in the Red Bank/Rumson area. The wedding is Saturday, Aug 29th, and the best days for an outing with Dad would be Sunday or Monday the 30th or 31st. Thanks for even considering this.

If one of you needs an excuse to take a short drive, this could be it and that would be great; if not, Dad will never know about it and I will understand completely. Also, if one of you has a better idea of how to get my old man into a Model S for 15 minutes, let me know!

Wound love to assist (and have another excuse for a roadtrip!) but will be out of the area for awhile. I'm sure the folks at Devon, PA store (90 miles from RedBank) or Short Hills mall (43 miles from Red Bank) would be glad to assist if you called to setup test drive

Thanks, rjcbox. If I can't find a way to make it happen without driving to Short Hills, I may go that route. Dad is sole caretaker for Mom (who has Alzheimer's) and he doesn't like leaving her for more than 20-30 minutes. Something will work out! Thanks again.

CTH, not sure if you know, there is a supercharger being built (from the pictures and posts, it look like it just needs to be inspected/turned on) at the Jersey Shore Premium Outlets around exit 102.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...y-Shore-Premium-Outlets-SC-under-construction

If the charger is open in 2 weeks when you are around, going on the Sunday, you would likely meet a few owners that stop in. Also, I or Yobigd20 (or yourself) could repost in our local Google Groups a few days before asking for a mini meet up at a convenient time.

Thanks so much, folks. I did not yet know about the new supercharger being deployed (soon!) near exit 102 but it's now on my radar. I spoke with Dad this morning and told him about that, and that we might be able to arrange a ride. He was thrilled, immediately saying he'd wear his hat. (I'd given him my Tesla Drivers Group hat for Fathers Day.) Eggy, thanks for offering to help out if time permits. I'll PM you my contact info as requested. I'll also keep monitoring this thread as well as the one re: the new supercharger.

A ride for your dad

Hi. Here's what I'm pretty sure is an unusual request, aimed at the NJ dwellers among the forum. My wife and I live in Oregon and we got our Model S 85D (aka Lucille) about four months ago. Not surprisingly, all our friends and family are excited and full of questions. My father, who is in his mid-80's and not in the best of shape, is among the most excited and curious. I'd love for Dad to ride in a Model S but he and the rest of my family live near Red Bank, NJ.

We are heading to Red Bank for a family wedding in a couple of weeks. We considered driving across the country so we could tour him around in Lucille but we can't take that much time. I could try to schedule a test drive there but the NJ Tesla stores where I could do that are pretty far north of where they live and I know he won't want to make the trip. So... here's my request:

Is there anyone near Red Bank with a Model S who would be willing to drive Dad and me around for 15-20 minutes and let him experience the wow-ness of these fabulous cars we own? He and my mom live in Oceanport, which is near Parkway exit 105, but we could meet you anywhere in the Red Bank/Rumson area. The wedding is Saturday, Aug 29th, and the best days for an outing with Dad would be Sunday or Monday the 30th or 31st. Thanks for even considering this.

If one of you needs an excuse to take a short drive, this could be it and that would be great; if not, Dad will never know about it and I will understand completely. Also, if one of you has a better idea of how to get my old man into a Model S for 15 minutes, let me know!

Cth
i would love to help you with this for your father ...
i live in Sea Girt, off of exit 98 ... Not too far from 105.
Sunday or Monday works for me.
you can email me at jerry(dot)com to work out details.
Jerry

Perhaps all you NJ folks should just plan to have a meetup at the supercharger, even if it's not turned on, at a date & time that works for cth such that he could just show up there with his dad as well. That way his dad can see a whole bunch of Tesla's and take multiple rides!

cth, my folks are in the same state: My dad is in good health, and my mother is in physically good shape but suffers from dimentia such that she doesn't really recognize any of the family any more. My dad won't leave my mom for more than a few minutes, either. Fortunately, she does like to ride in my Tesla--she doesn't have any idea that there's anything special about it, but it doesn't matter--and I take them both out for rides. Perhaps you're mom would like it, too, depending on her health.

Just to update y'all, I'm in conversation with jerrytes516 about meeting details. We are aiming to meet at the (not yet activated) superchargers near NJP exit 100/102 one week from today at 11:30 AM.

glenhurst, my mom is at a stage where she is frightened very easily by anything outside her norm. I'd love to take her along, too, but I think she would not enjoy it and that would significantly cut into Dad's experience. Thanks for the thoughts, though. I'm sorry to hear your folks are in the same position.