Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saran wrap as temporary paint protection film?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to use those black vinyl removable "bras" on my cars in the past, especially on summer road trips to keep the bugs off the finish. I would just scrub it with a brush, then pull it off the car and hang to dry when I was done. You do have to be careful to put it on over a clean car, but I never had any paint scratching issues in all the years I used them. They don't seem as popular any more. Does anyone even make one for the Model S? I have one for my '07 Pontiac Vibe, but was never able to find one for my Cadillac CTS. Maybe it's just gone out of style.

I used to use those black vinyl removable "bras" on my cars in the past, especially on summer road trips to keep the bugs off the finish. I would just scrub it with a brush, then pull it off the car and hang to dry when I was done. You do have to be careful to put it on over a clean car, but I never had any paint scratching issues in all the years I used them. They don't seem as popular any more. Does anyone even make one for the Model S? I have one for my '07 Pontiac Vibe, but was never able to find one for my Cadillac CTS. Maybe it's just gone out of style.

At least with some the cars I've seen, the problem isn't scratching, it's rust because those bras hold the water. I suspect that you would get scratching if you lived in So. Cal. or Arizona where sand gets between the material and the car.