Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk for all your junk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
When model S was unveiled frunk was a bonus feature that (positively) surprised many. I think it's time for frunk makover.

1. larger (as in longer, not necessarily taller or wider due to Cd) frunk would offer additional safety in frontal collisions, from small overlap to full head on collisions with trucks...or walls. Large frunk would add extra crumple zone erasing disadvantage that small cars have in collisions with larger, heavy cars.

2. larger frunk would protect car's internals better in slower collisions.

3. cars with longer front do look more powerful :smile:

I think it's time to make frunk a mainstay feature of EV vehicles and Tesla should innovate ways to make front trunk access easier and more convenient.

When model S was unveiled frunk was a bonus feature that (positively) surprised many. I think it's time for frunk makover.

1. larger (as in longer, not necessarily taller or wider due to Cd) frunk would offer additional safety in frontal collisions, from small overlap to full head on collisions with trucks...or walls. Large frunk would add extra crumple zone erasing disadvantage that small cars have in collisions with larger, heavy cars.

3. cars with longer front do look more powerful :smile:

I think it's time to make frunk a mainstay feature of EV vehicles and Tesla should innovate ways to make front trunk access easier and more convenient.

Like the VW Beetle, the frunk should have a provision for an optional spare tire.

They first thing they need to do is they need to make the frunk close by motor just like the trunk. I rarely use the frunk since it is a PITA to close and I am worried about putting a dent in the hood. And if your hood is dirty your hands will get covered in gunk while closing the frunk.

If you're at a speed where the size of the frunk impacts occupant safety, you're way beyond the "slow collision" realm.

3. cars with longer front do look more powerful
Total ICE mentality -- longer nose equals bigger engine. I think a longer nose on the S would look ridiculous. YMMV.

And if your hood is dirty your hands will get covered in gunk while closing the frunk.
Dirty? You let your Model S get dirty? :scared:

The trunk opens waaaay too wide for my garage (no tech package) and since I pull in nose-first it's far safer for me to use the frunk than the trunk.

If you're at a speed where the size of the frunk impacts occupant safety, you're way beyond the "slow collision" realm.
It's not just speed that matters but weight. Heavier vehicle will win unless lighter vehicle can absorb the extra force. Example video here: Mercedes C vs smart fortwo - Crash test - YouTube
Total ICE mentality -- longer nose equals bigger engine. I think a longer nose on the S would look ridiculous. YMMV.
We are discussing future cars here :) Although S has all the right proportions, as you go down in price and cars is more utilitarian, I say, don't cut out empty engine compartment in front - make it useful.