Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track your Tesla while it's on the boat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tip of the day! I just discovered how to track your Tesla while it's loaded on a boat. Tesla use Wallenius Wilhelmsen for boat freight. If you go to their tracker here: WWL

You can enter your VIN as the "Cargo ID" and track the boat freight (it it's been started). You can also enter a partial VIN, so for example "5YJS" will give you all Teslas they've ever transported.

I'm not sure if all Teslas are carried by WW, though, so perhaps some will not show up.

Come to think of it, this tracking doesn't show any cars destined for the Netherlands (where EU cars are assembled). Maybe they're handled by another company, or maybe they can't be tracked by VIN (as they're technically not shipped as cars, but as car parts).

It's not the only carrier, as you can see if you look on google docs document "model s order & delivery" and try all the VIN'S delivered to Europe you'll find NONE. :)

Come to think of it, this tracking doesn't show any cars destined for the Netherlands (where EU cars are assembled). Maybe they're handled by another company, or maybe they can't be tracked by VIN (as they're technically not shipped as cars, but as car parts).

... :)

Tip of the day! I just discovered how to track your Tesla while it's loaded on a boat. Tesla use Wallenius Wilhelmsen for boat freight. If you go to their tracker here: WWL

You can enter your VIN as the "Cargo ID" and track the boat freight (it it's been started). You can also enter a partial VIN, so for example "5YJS" will give you all Teslas they've ever transported.

I'm not sure if all Teslas are carried by WW, though, so perhaps some will not show up.

I dont think this works anymore :( even entering just 5YJS gives no results found.

Tracking to EU countries

As indicated elsewhere, this won't work for EU deliveries, although if you catch the day it changes to "out for delivery", this seems to be it being cleared to ship. DS advised that it was on a ship a few days later, with a ship going from New York to Bremerhaven in the middle of these two dates (noted that tesla seem to ship this route using method above). I used the Schedules>> By Port Option (can't seem to link direct so you may need to click "By Port"). Enter New York > Bremerhaven at the date of "out for delivery" and you should see a list of voyages (see graphic). This gives you the ship ID which you can then track. My 85D is arriving in Bremerhaven at midnight on Sunday, so hope to see "in production" status next week and then out for final delivery the week after. Would be nice to be able to confirm this with the VIN as non-EU cars can, but I guess this is just "spare parts" for tax reasons at the moment!

Come on Tiger.....

Tesla tracking.jpg

We, the dutch navy cracks, have some more/other info ;)

The voyage is listed as NY -> Bremerhaven but it travels from NY to Antwerp, from Antwerp to Rotterdam (here they unload the Tesla's) and from Rotterdam to Bremerhaven. Most journeys are on MEARSK freighters (IOWA/OHIO are currently in transit with Tesla's for example).

In Rotterdam they place the Tesla's for NL on a smaller vessel which travels to the Barge Terminal Tilburg. After that its a short trip for the container on a truck to the Tilburg factory.

on the speakev forum we are pretty convinced (although Tesla insist still coming through NY) that cars are being shipped through Houston, trading a quicker rail journey for a longer ship one.
Hmm that is interesting.
The dutch DES pretty often don't mind giving the names of the vessels that a particular car is on. Last shipment that I see people tracking all are MEARSK and NJ/NY departures. My DES also indicated that the Model S is on a train towards the harbor of NY. No mention of Houston so far, what makes you guys convinced of the Houston departure?

There are a number of people who seem to have an inside view of the shipping process and they detected a switch in route sometime in December. So they were providing ship names and schedules from NY and then switched to providing Houston based ones. As I said Tesla - actually the head guy for UK delivery - denied this. In my case both sets of information provided roughly similar departure and arrival estimates. These people (one with a model S delivered about Christmas and another with one currently in Tilburg) provide quite some detail, VIN numbers of a set of cars in a single container, so seem very believable. I've asked my DS for a ship name multiple times and she just ignores the question, so it is impossible what the truth is!