Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
I received an email from TM 15 minutes ago that has me a bit annoyed. My take on the letter is that I had been singled out as an abuser: "As a frequent user of local Superchargers, we ask that you decrease your local Supercharging and promptly move your your Model S once charging is complete." WTF?! First of all, I have no local Supercharger. I have used Superchargers frequently on exended road trips, as they were intended. And I have never allowed my MS to occupy a charging space beyond the time needed to get a charge to get to my next stop. A very poorly worded letter, IMHO. :cursing:

I received an email from TM 15 minutes ago that has me a bit annoyed. My take on the letter is that I had been singled out as an abuser: "As a frequent user of local Superchargers, we ask that you decrease your local Supercharging and promptly move your your Model S once charging is complete." WTF?! First of all, I have no local Supercharger. I have used Superchargers frequently on exended road trips, as they were intended. And I have never allowed my MS to occupy a charging space beyond the time needed to get a charge to get to my next stop. A very poorly worded letter, IMHO. :cursing:

Hmm, maybe they're thinking one of the SCs you use on trips is local to you or something? Or they just misidentified. Is that the extent of the text?

I wondered where these letters were going. Logically I suspected they'd be sent mostly to the South Bay, where I've seen the Mountain View SC full of cars from Palo Alto, Los Gatos Hills and everywhere else within a few minutes of Tesla HQ. It is less logical to see them target Napa. I wonder if they assume you're local to frequently used SC's? I wonder when I might get such a letter since i use the same two SC's every time I make a road trip, simply because they are on my way when I go practically anywhere. This makes me a trifle nervous.

I got the same letter. I agree it is a little insulting. I live in Tucson, AZ and we do not have a local Supercharger. Closest one is Casa Grand which is over 70 miles from me. I have used it a few times on road trips this summer and only to top off so I can make it home. I am always very careful to not stay any longer at Superchargers than needed. This is very annoying. I tried to respond but got an email back saying that the mail box was unattended.

I got the same email, stating that I am "...a frequent user of local Superchargers...". BS. The nearest Supercharger to me is 60 miles away and I've used it maybe 12 times in the last 7 months and many of those times were coming back from an extended trip to get me home.

I agree, the tone is off putting.

Capture.JPG

Yeah, I got today one too. Having used a more or less local supercharger about 50 miles away (Burlington, WA) 3 times in 9000 miles doesn't seem like abuse.

I have used other superchargers going to and from CA, but they are many hundreds of miles from my home, used as intended.

Probably just some bad data filters, but it is a little disturbing.

Last edited:
They should have added a note to the end to clarify conditions and say that if this does not apply to you, then feel free to ignore it. Looks like they have lots of false positives but they didn't account for that in their letter.

Yeah, I got today one too. Having used a supercharger about 50 miles away (Burlington, WA) 3 times in 9000 miles doesn't seem like abuse.

Probably just some bad data filters, but it is a little disturbing.

It's interesting how heavily the letter's text emphasizes home charging. OP and Nevek, do you have home charging installed? Perhaps more importantly, have you designated a "HOME" address in your car's nav system (if equipped)?

Just idle speculation that maybe they are using the lack of such a designation as one factor in determining who gets a letter.

It's interesting how heavily the letter's text emphasizes home charging. OP and Nevek, do you have home charging installed? Perhaps more importantly, have you designated a "HOME" address in your car's nav system (if equipped)?

Just idle speculation that maybe they are using the lack of such a designation as one factor in determining who gets a letter.
I can tell you I have had a 14-50 in both my garages (Napa & Tucson), since I got the car 3.5 years ago.