Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corvettes hacked and brakes disabled using insurance dongle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow, corvette's are the latest to get hacked. recently the fiat crystler had to recall 1.4m vehicles, then of course Tesla was hacked and shut down while driving, and now the latest is the corvettes. hackers are able to send SMS instructions to the SIM card that's on the insurance dongle (if you opt to put one on), and turn on and off the windshield wipers as well as enable and disable the brakes!!! wow ....

Corvette hack is one more reason to be wary of connected cars | CIO

Corvette’s brakes hacked using an insurance dongle and SMS

Why do you do that? You know quite well the circumstance under which the Tesla was hacked and how fast the vehicle was going, and yet you feel the need to present it in a way that leaves the door open for interpretation for those unfamiliar with the situation and make it seem as if it's in the same category as these other hacks, when it's very obviously not. You also fail to separate the difference between the fixes. It's akin to the sensational headlines and distortions by the media that are often discussed here and that you've been involved in.

Why do you do that? You know quite well the circumstance under which the Tesla was hacked and how fast the vehicle was going, and yet you feel the need to present it in a way that leaves the door open for interpretation for those unfamiliar with the situation and make it seem as if it's in the same category as these other hacks, when it's very obviously not. You also fail to separate the difference between the fixes.

It's a hack nonetheless but yes the Tesla one is much different requiring physical access and advanced knowledge. Still a hack though. Corvette one requires physical plug in with the insurance dongle too. I'm not differentiating between them bc that's not my point. A hack is a hack. They're just done by different means. I'm not even focusing on Tesla here that's not the point. The point was to highlight another means of hacking cars aka via insurance dongles.

It's a hack nonetheless ...

Please. That's like saying my Betty Crocker box cake is the same as a cake baked by Christina Tosi. So no, it's not a 'hack nonetheless' and presenting it as such is disingenuous at best.

I'm not even focusing on Tesla here that's not the point.

Then why even mention Tesla at all? Oh that's right, a hack is a hack. Give me a break.

Posted in General Forum>Cars & Transportation section correctly & appreciate sharing the news.

AAA wanted me to put their dongles on all of my cars but only agreed to place one in a 1999 Ford Expedition that is hardly driven & I doubt someone will want to hack.

Please. That's like saying my Betty Crocker box cake is the same as a cake baked by Christina Tosi. So no, it's not a 'hack nonetheless' and presenting it as such is disingenuous at best.

Then why even mention Tesla at all? Oh that's right, a hack is a hack. Give me a break.

Thank you for your pointless contribution to this thread. Try waking up on the other side on the bed tomorrow.

A hack is not a hack. If a hack required stealing the car for 12 hours and attaching it to mainframe computer to hack it and shut it down when traveling less than 5mph would that be the same as someone remotely connecting to your and controlling steering at highway speeds? A hack isn't just a hack.

I think the general public would consider hacking as an unauthorized person controlling a car remotely, just as hacking someone's computer means an unauthorized person is controlling it remotely. The definition of hacking is broader than that, I know, but what the public is concerned about is access to their device over the internet. If it requires physical access to the car or the computer to take control of it, that's a much lower level of threat that most people wouldn't be too concerned about. To equate the two is scare mongering.

A hack is not a hack. If a hack required stealing the car for 12 hours and attaching it to mainframe computer to hack it and shut it down when traveling less than 5mph would that be the same as someone remotely connecting to your and controlling steering at highway speeds? A hack isn't just a hack.

I think part of the problem is the way the Tesla "hack" has been reported. The Wired article was well balanced and explained how difficult it was to "hack" the Tesla and even quoted the hackers as saying the Model S was the most secure vehicle they'd tinkered with. Other articles left all that stuff out and just reported that it was "possible" to remotely control and shut down a Tesla and implied (or in some cases outright stated) it was similar to how the Jeep was hacked.

I think the general public would consider hacking as an unauthorized person controlling a car remotely, just as hacking someone's computer means an unauthorized person is controlling it remotely...

Agree. I think a hack that requires physical access is analogous to the "hot-wiring" of old. A hack that includes unauthorized remote access (not even controlling, but accessing, pulling data, etc), is without prior analogy and therefore more in line with the idea of new "hacking".

The Tesla hack was demonstrated at DEFCON for crying out loud, one of the world's well known largest HACKING conferences. Yes it's a hack, regardless if wired or wireless. Yes it required physical access. But one could construct a device that added Wireless capability to control it just like the dongle thus turning it into a remote hack. Arguing over semantics is straying away from the entire point of this thread which was to discuss the new insurance dongle hack.

Sooo, is the discussion here about the corvette hack or how yobigd should pay better attention to how he might be sullying Tesla's name?

For the discussion it's fairly obvious two hacks aren't remotely the same. One that someone can plug-in the insurance dongle in five seconds and one that requires people with advanced skills to remove dash are two completely separate things. Not about protecting Tesla, it's about being accurate. I will consider the Corvette issue a legitimate hack as someone like a valet could place the insurance dongle into your car in a couple seconds without you knowing.

For the discussion it's fairly obvious two hacks aren't remotely the same. One that someone can plug-in the insurance dongle in five seconds and one that requires people with advanced skills to remove dash are two completely separate things. Not about protecting Tesla, it's about being accurate. I will consider the Corvette issue a legitimate hack as someone like a valet could place the insurance dongle into your car in a couple seconds without you knowing.

OK so if his post read like this, where would the 2 pages of discussion be?

wow, corvette's are the latest to get hacked. recently the fiat crystler had to recall 1.4m vehicles, and now the latest is the corvettes. hackers are able to send SMS instructions to the SIM card that's on the insurance dongle (if you opt to put one on), and turn on and off the windshield wipers as well as enable and disable the brakes!!! wow ....

I guess I'm saying the meat of the post is the same if you ignore the mention of Tesla. Why is 11 words of the overall post (which are fairly tangential) such a hot topic? Because this is a Tesla forum?