Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I've realized after Dipping my Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a shame u didn't win Dip Of The Month for July. The Abyss Midnight Flip is a cool color. I will always want bold and flashy everytime I dip mine so it's not for me.
I think the picture didn't do it justice. Too many blue dips in my opinion and the one that won, was terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

I knew the bat signal would lure you within an hour.

;)

I might have missed it but I don't think the blog entry covered the most important reason to dip - paint protection.
No you're right I didn't put that, I forgot, I was mainly focusing on the conversation starter aspect, not functional. I'll add it though.

Kushari, that looks awesome!

Darren, you might be faster if you ditch the sandals.

But Batman always wears sandals.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the picture didn't do it justice. Too many blue dips in my opinion and the one that won, was terrible.

I can't believe the satin blue accord won. He had to have gotten his buddies to vote for him. The black/copper Corvette or the American Flag Celica should've won. Those two took so much time and effort compared to the blue accord. Unbelievable #rigged. lol

The car looks fantastic. The conversation starter is a great thing. FLDarren, Btrflyl8e, Great Dane, and I have done a bunch of Cars & Coffee and similar events, so we can vouch for the amount of misinformation out there. We've enlightened more than a few muscle car devotees.

The paint protection aspect is great too. I would have considered it had I known about PlastiDip when I first got the car. But having spent good money on XPel Ultimate and OptiCoat Pro, my car is staying factory silver.

Got to see it in person and it looks awesome! Kushari, you no longer just blend in (not that the model S really blends in to begin with lol)

I paid extra for my Pearl white so dipping was out of the question. I'm also still a fan of the glossy look - I know, I need to get with the times.

I'm curious if this has any long-term negative effects on the pain. Also how much of a pain is it to get completely off? I did some test pieces and the test pieces with good coverage was easy. However the edges that got overspray on them were a real pain to get off.

What's the ~cost of Plasti Dipping the entire Model S?

Cost to dip my Model S Burnt Copper

$165 for 3 gallons of black PDS for the base - used 2.5 gallons
$320 for 4 gallons of DipPearl Topcoat -used all 4 gallons
$56 for 4-25 gram bags of Burnt Copper Alloy Pearl
Roughly $30-40 in prepping materials

-Layed the black base
-Mixed all Burnt Copper Pearl into 2 gallons of Topcoat, sprayed that
-Layed the other 2 gallons of Topcoat for a glossy finish

Dipped by yours truly

Kushari stopped after step 2 i think. Spraying the pearl mixed into Topcoat is what gives the satin finish. So it shows it'll costs more $ the glossier you want it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious if this has any long-term negative effects on the pain. Also how much of a pain is it to get completely off? I did some test pieces and the test pieces with good coverage was easy. However the edges that got overspray on them were a real pain to get off.

It's supposed to last about 2 years. DipYourCar has done a lot of long term testing on their products before release. There are a lot of testimonials out there showing its endurance. Why keep a car dipped very long when u can change it to a different color in one day?

It took my about 20 minutes to peel the copper from my car. As u can see each panel came off in one big sheet. The thicker u lay it, the easier it is to peel. To be honest, if someone doesn't do their research and know how much dip to put on they deserve the hassle of spending 15 hours peeling a car instead of 30 minutes. A lot of testing should be done before someone decides to dip their car. Obviously. As for overspray, masking is the solution. Some pieces like the door handles I didn't mask off before spraying. I just made sure to lay enough product there so that when I was done I knew it would peel. The gap between the door handle and the body created a break in the dip allowing me to peel it without affecting the rest of the door.
IMG_5448.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5446.JPG
    IMG_5446.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 672
Last edited:
So I'm wondering...

If someone doesn't put enough coats on their car and has trouble peeling it off, can they simply spray another coat or 2 on? Wait a day and then peel?

Yep. Just make sure there isn't any DipCoat or wax on the surface that'll prevent the new dip from adhering. They can wait 20 minutes and peel it. As soon as it's dry it ready to be peeled. Most people don't think of that Rick. I see so many posts in my dipping groups asking how to peel thin dip. I want to slap them all. I see it at least 4-6 times a week in each group. No joke.

5-6 coats is the recommended amount for peelability. The first coat is always a tack coat. You want about 50% coverage on the first coat. Then every coat after that should be even wet coats. When I say 5-6 coats, I mean 5-6 coats of Plasti Dip. Topcoat is thinner and should be counted as 1/2 coat. I did 3 coats of black and 6 coats of topcoat. So 3 + (6x.5) = 6